Catye Volt 6000 Alternative / DIY Version- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Catye Volt 6000 Alternative / DIY Version

I have spent quite some time with Chinese LED Lights, (mostly XML-T6 based models), and while they are ok, I want more. This is my proposal for a build.

Please be ware that this build is not something I would recommend for the average user. In fact, the light output is way overkill. Also, its problaby not going to be practical seeing as its gonna be heavy.

The LED: Nichia Chip onBoard Module Series 30. This LED produces an astounding (and real) 8560lm, with a voltage of 40V and a current of 1800mA. Maximum wattage is about 78W. At max power it has an efficiency of 116lm/W. Price is 16 Euros and 8 euros shipping.

Link: Nichia Chip on Board Modul Series 30 white | the leading LED-shop by LUMITRONIX

The LED will be mounted on a small CPU heatsink, which will have a fan attached to it. Due to the small form factor, the fan is likely to have to spin at very high RPM levels. Heat sink will probably be cut to fit in an enclousure

Heatsink Example: calore - presa lavandino/Supporto A 462 60mm Ventola Di Raffreddamento 3pin | eBay

The battery used will be a Zippy 4s (14.8V) 8000mah with 30C discharge, and will easily last 1hr at full brightness.

In order to step up the voltage form 14.8 to about 41V, the following step up converter will be used: DROKŪ DC / DC 5A Power Boost Converter 12V 24V a 48V 60V High Current Regolatori di Tensione: Amazon.it: Illuminazione

Hopefully I can also make a brighness adjustment circut, with a potentiometer, so i can have full control over brightness.

I am still in the planning stage, but any feedback is much appreciated. Is this setup going to be better than having a bunch of smaller LEDs. Should I try to wire up 2 of these emitters?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Other lights built with similar huge die size emitters have a tough time directing the light usefully for cycling. What optic or reflector are you planning to use? I'd dump the step-up converter you chose and go with a Taskled Hyperboost. Also consider raising your input voltage to gain better efficiency.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sadly, Taskled no longer ship to italy. However I did find this, http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00H...f_rd_i=desktop, which is rated at a much higher power rating, and has 95% efficiency. Is it worth the extra cost?

As for the reflector, I would probably use a generic reflector such as this one: Full Set 20W 30W 70W 50W 100W LED 44mm Glass Lens + Reflector + Bracket #C14 | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Too bad that Taskled will not ship to Italy. I don't know if that boost power converter is a constant current regulated output device. That is what you need for proper driving of the LED.

The aspheric optic you chose might have a chance of making a reasonable beam shape. They usually create a "projection" beam of the LED die. Very far reaching when used in the correct focal point. Sometimes moving the LED away from the focal point will soften the projection effect and give some spread to the beam. You'll probably want build some ability to adjust the focus into your housing so you can set the best beam shape for your preference.

Looking forward to following this build. Should be interesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Here are my ideas for the enclosure.

I will use 70mm aluminum tube, (60mm inner diameter), and fit a circular cpu cooler and fan inside. (it will have to be filed). The enclosure will house the emmiter, reflector, cooler, and fan.

There will be 2 sections to the enclosure. A waterproof section containing the emitter an reflector, and a non waterproof, vented section containing the heatsink and fan. I hope in this way the emitter will be adequately cooled!

Here are some basic renders of my design. The cut-away is deliberate to show the interals, and is not gonna be included in the real thing

Catye Volt 6000 Alternative / DIY Version-volt6000.jpg
    Catye Volt 6000 Alternative / DIY Version-volt60001.jpgCatye Volt 6000 Alternative / DIY Version-volt60001-alpha2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'll ship to Italy *IF* the customer accepts that the package could be delayed/lost due to Italian post/customs. Italy has had a very poor reputation when it comes to packages getting 'lost' or delayed for many many weeks.

And yeah, that Amazon driver looks to be just a voltage regulated boost driver, not current regulated.

cheers,
    george (taskled).

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by georges80 View Post
    I'll ship to Italy *IF* the customer accepts that the package could be delayed/lost due to Italian post/customs. Italy has had a very poor reputation when it comes to packages getting 'lost' or delayed for many many weeks.

And yeah, that Amazon driver looks to be just a voltage regulated boost driver, not current regulated.

cheers,
    george (taskled).
    Having lived in italy long enough, I know better than to trust the postal services!
    Also, I found this new voltage booster. It is rated up to 600W and can control current up to 10A. If you look at the board it has 2 blue regulators. One says V-ADJ, and the other I-ADJ (Current adjust) Only concern is that its very bulky.

Just out of interest, what country do you ship from?

Link:DROKŪ DC/DC 600W 10-60V a 12-80V Step-up Boost Converter 24V Power Supply Transformer Voltage Regolatore DIY di Tensione Inverter Module Output Volt Adjustable Board for Car Auto Automative Vehicle Moto: Amazon.it: Fai da te

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I ship from California USA.

Yeah, it is unfortunate that the Italian postal service has such a poor track record. Just a quick google of Italian Post brings up a lot of horror stories.

Yeah, most of those drivers on Amazon are quite huge.

cheers,
    george.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by georges80 View Post
    ....Yeah, it is unfortunate that the Italian postal service has such a poor track record. Just a quick google of Italian Post brings up a lot of horror stories.
    Wow, I was not aware! I've mailed several orders of my GoPro adapters to Italy with no troubles. I guess I've just been lucky so far!! I may have to reconsider future orders from Italian users.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Update: Better LED Emitters found. I will do more research, but so far this looks promising.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/245/Lumin...eet-765400.pdf

its a 19000 lumen monster, draws a reasonable 140W, at an efficiency greater than 135 lumen / watt.

Requires 53-56 volts which I can still handle. Cost is reasonable at 40 Euros