Can I put the driver in my battery pack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Can I put the driver in my battery pack?

I am attempting my first SSC P7 LED DIY light and have all the parts in the mail. I realized that I may not have room in my light housing to fit the driver I bought for my project.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20330

If I cant put this in the housing after the clicky switch, can I make it a part of my battery pack?

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can, but it is not a good idea. Assuming you have one LED, you will be delivering about 9W of power. You will get voltage drop along the cable proportionate to its length and this will be much more greater at 3.2v/2.8A (i.e. after the driver) than at 14.8v/0.6A (i.e. before the driver).

If you have no option, keep the cable as short as possible and use sufficiently heavy duty wire; 24AWG ain't gonna do it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok if it comes down to it I can add it in-line right before the light switch. Will that suffice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Should be ok. Just keep the wire from the driver to the LED as short as you sensibly can and maybe use a bigger gauge than you usually would, at least for that last bit. I'm guessing something about 0.5mm2 ought to suffice but maybe others can advise

mtbr member
    battery>driver>switch>light.......... no
    battery>switch>driver>light ........ yep
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Members who have read this thread: 0