Buy Light Motion seca 700 light without warranty ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Buy Light Motion seca 700 light without warranty ?

I'm considering getting a Light & Motion seca 700 off ebay (and hence without warranty).
    Is this a bad strategy ? I'm thinking that even if the light goes bad, I can pay for it to get repaired and not be too bad off.

Assuming a base price of $400, what is the warranty worth in your opinion ?

That is, suppose I can get it for $400 without warranty.
    What is the highest price you would be willing to pay for the light that is under warranty ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Those are questions that only you can answer for yourself. It's your light, your money, your gamble. I'll just mention that AEbike.com has pretty good Seca pricing, $495 for the 700 Race when I looked earlier.

BBW
    mtbr member
    performance has a 15% off lights.... ends in something like 450$

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bought a Light and Motion Stella on ebay a year ago. I had it fixed under warranty a week after I got it because the on/off switch was broke. Not sure they care that it was purchased on ebay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Light & Motion off eBay

I bought a brand new(still in wrap) li ION ARC lamp off ebay last month. The ballast failed after about 10 hours and Light and Motion WOULD NOT honor the warranty.

My only option was to purchase the Seca 700 head to go with the battery I already owned.

I bought the head for an additional $160.00 from Light and Motion.

They DO care now where their lamps are purchased.

Dennis

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Did you mention it was bought on ebay? I don't think I told them I bought it on 'ebay', I just said an online retailer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nashbar is doing 20% off lights and they sell the Seca 700. http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?c...ry%3A%20Lights

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    Did you mention it was bought on ebay? I don't think I told them I bought it on 'ebay', I just said an online retailer.
    On their website they say to contact a local retailer to get warranty service

Anyway, if someone is considering buying off ebay, they need to contact the seller to confirm whether its covered by warranty or not.
    One seller I contacted told me it would not be covered by warranty.

And once you buy it, ask for a recipt.

The other seller told me this (when I send him the light and motion disclaimer when he said he was an authorised seller):
    How do you know I'm not an authorised seller? If you buy it from us I guarantee to handle any type of warranty issues you may have in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2658
    I bought the head for an additional $160.00 from Light and Motion.
    Wow, just how expensive are the batteries ? If they sell the ensemble for $480, and just he head for $150, thats
    $330 for a 6 cell battery+mounting apparatus !!!
    Last edited by wearetheborg; 11-06-2008 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wearetheborg
    Wow, just how expensive are the batteries ? If they sell the ensemble for $480, and just he head for $150, thats
    $334 for a 6 cell battery+mounting apparatus !!!
    You're forgetting the charger... and the warranty.

mtbr member
    1. an industrious person can always create a receipt.
    2. you can always say it was a gift and you dont know where it was purchased.

companies should stand behind their products no matter where they were bought. most things that are defective from a manufacturer tend to go bad pretty quick, like 30-90 days. so create a receipt and hope for the best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    You're forgetting the charger... and the warranty.
    Yup, forgot the charger, but I assume when you buy the head, it comes with a warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    1. an industrious person can always create a receipt.
    2. you can always say it was a gift and you dont know where it was purchased.

companies should stand behind their products no matter where they were bought. most things that are defective from a manufacturer tend to go bad pretty quick, like 30-90 days. so create a receipt and hope for the best.
    About #1..perhaps but Manufacturers aren't dummies...they can check records and serial numbers too. Most manufacturers do have limited warranties that they also extend to authorized dealers. Some manufacturers list those dealers on their web sites. If you're buying off the net or from an E-bay vendor your best bet is to question the vendor BEFORE YOU BUY to find out what warranty or guarantee they will offer. The E-Bay vendors are rated. If the person you buy from is well rated more than likely they will back their sale from defects. ( although that might mean a lengthy transaction by mail )

Members who have read this thread: 0