BugEye Son of PipeLight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

BugEye Son of PipeLight

My name is Formantjim I'm a "Lightoholic"
    lights lineup 2.jpg

From left to right.
    First PipeLight Triple Q5 Fatman driver, Quad R2 Fatman driver, MCE Maxflex Driver, 9 XPE Maxflex Driver and last the 30W 30 LED Asperic lens BugEye Fatman Driver.

I have been struggling to find a LED lens setup that would give a very controlled beam for handle bar mounting. Using the easy construction and readily available components the BugEye took shape quickly.
    http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=8482bugeye son of pipe light.jpg
    [ATTACH]lens and led.jpg[/ATTACH]lens view.jpg
    The quality of the photo's is not great only have an iPhone and beamshots so far are useless. I will post a beamshot when I can borrow a camera with manual settings as you have to see it to believe it.

I'm currently running at a current of 750mA but if I were to upgrade my batteries and driver to say the Hipflex then I could drive the LED at 1800mA but the output is more than adequate as I use the MCE on the Helmet.

The LED is already mounted on a heatsink of it's own but by screwing it to the copper slug which the front to back position can be adjusted to achieve the focusing of the aspheric lens to achieve the desired beam shape and intensity.
    The LED consists of 6 parallel rows of 5 series LED's with a typical Vf of about 10 to 14V so easily driven with a Fatman at 750mA or 1000mA(not much noticeable difference in light output but higher consumption and shorter battery life)

Will go out for a ride tonight and hopefully some beamshots.

mtbr member
    Welcome Formantjim, I am also a "Lightoholic". I have no plans to recover however. I will be a "Lightoholic" until the guys in the white suits come for me - shhh I can hear them at the door now ....

We're cool, it was just the postman delivering more parts from DX.

Awesome light, none of your riding buddies will look at you the same way now - they will all have to shield their eyes or risk instant retinal implosion Can't wait to see the beamshots (though I can pretty well guess what it will look like ).

Seems like 1800mA would be very high for this, given that they are series connected, do you know who makes this or what the specs are? It sounds like the LED could be run off a buckpuck with a potentiometer for brightness control too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Wonderful to be amongst friends.

There is a link to Kaidomain in the post but the details of the LED itself are scarce.
    I however found this site that appears to be the manufacturer of the LED but not quite no markings etc. http://hueyjann.com.tw/
    The current could be a lot higher as I said they are 6 parallel rows of 5 series LED's so the current at present I'm putting through each string is only 125mA.
    I have to compliment Kaidomain for their prompt and efficient service less than 2 weeks to Canada and free shipping!!!
    It was cold and wet this evening so did not manage to get beamshots, soon.

mtbr member
    Doh! I mis-read the originall post, so there are 30 die on that thing! I can actually see them in the pic now that I look closer at the emitter. Sounds like it really should be amazing if you ratchet up the current.

aka RossC
    Jim, that is one crazy light. Kudos on taking a different direction. What are your thoughts on it now that you have had a chance to take it for a ride?

A waste of time it is is
    And where are our trail beam shots?

Nice work!

Members who have read this thread: 0