bFlex 14.8v -> 7.4v Configuration - Bad Idea?- Mtbr.com
    Austin, TX
    Sep 2008

bFlex 14.8v -> 7.4v Configuration - Bad Idea?

I searched the TaskLED.com forums to find an answer for this question but everything there addressed minimum voltage requirements.

How bad of an idea would it be to use a 14.8v battery to drive 7.4vf of LEDs using the TaskLED bFlex? Is thermal management or driver inefficiency a big problem?

My friends and I are building a few sets of lights using 3 XR-Es on the bars and 2 XR-Es on the helmet. We would like to be able to share 14.8v packs among the lights if possible, rather than have 14.8v packs and 11.1v packs dedicated for each. I read on an old post in this forum that the TaskLED drivers may disperse the 7.4v differential voltage as heat (7.4v x 1A = 7.4W) - is this still true? Is there a measurable, quotable percentage of efficiency for the bFlex when stepping down voltage by 50%?

Thanks

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    they are using switching, so there should be no problem. There should be an efficiency chart on the page. I don't think there actually is an effect of battery voltage, but the output voltage changes the efficiency. I could be wrong, look on the technical page for your driver to see if you can find that chart.

mtbr member
    No problem, as it's a buck driver it will just be doing it's job and lowering the voltage for you. It's when it's a boost driver you have to worry about driver heat.

Austin, TX
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the replies!

The bFlex documentation doesn't have an efficiency chart, only claiming that it runs at 85% or greater efficiency. Assuming a safe effeciency of 85%, how would I calculate and compare run times for an 8-cell 14.8v 4400mah pack and a 9-cell 11.1v 6600mah pack? The light circuit consists of two XR-E R2 LEDs driven in series at 1A.

Sorry, my electronics knowledge is basic and rusty right now. I just can't wrap my head around factoring in the buck driver. Obviously the 11.1v pack has one more cell than the 14.8v pack, but 30% more mAh - does that mean 30% more run time as well?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    the current drawn with the 14.8v battery will be 11.1/14.8 * the current drawn using the 11.1v battery.

mtbr member
    the (3s3p)11.1v pack has one more cell than the (4s2p)14.8v pack, but 30% more mAh - does that mean 30% more run time as well?
    no, one pack has 8 batteries, the other pack has 9 batteries
    the difference in runtime is, simply put,1 battery worth
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Convert the rating of each battery to Wh capacity for comparison purposes.

Volts x Amps = Watts

14.8 x 4.4 = 65.12
    11.1 x 6.6 = 73.26

Austin, TX
    Sep 2008
    All three answers helped a lot - thanks!

Regarding the watts calculation, am I on target to figure the consumption as Vf * I / efficiency:

7.4v * 1A / 0.85 = 8.7W

Therefore, the batteries should run for nearly 7.5hr and 8.4hr respectively?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    sounds right

mtbr member
    yep
    Last edited by HEY HEY ITS HENDO; 05-22-2009 at 04:16 AM.
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Members who have read this thread: 0