best self contained AA powered tail light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

best self contained AA powered tail light

hello,

i am looking for a new tail light, it needs to be AA powered and with no external battery packs.

i am looking for the brightest possible and its a bit difficult to compare because each company uses a different measuring system.

so far it looks like the cateye tl-ld1100 is my best option, but im open for other ideas.

thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Blackburn mars 3.0 is pretty sweet. Dual mode, blink or solid. Side visibility and I think it was about $17 at the local Performance. Uses AAA batteries though. The mount is pretty cool as well and allows removal and attachment to camelbacks or other stuff.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Does it have to be AA? The Planet Bike Super Flash is a great tail lamp but it uses AAA's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i prefer AA since many other devices i use use the same size so when i tour i take just one charger and the same size of battery for everything so i always have spares.

i looked at the comparison but im still not convinced that the super flash is superior, they compared the ld1000 and the ld1100 should be brighter, also the super flash is highly directional from the looks of it (even at 15-20degs off axis you'd probably be much less visible)

on the plus side its "strobing" will certainly get attention, and it is a bit disappointing that the two banks on the ld1100 cant be synchronized.

from the looks of it so far i'm still getting the 1100, unless someone could point out a better option...

Double-metric mtb man
    BLT Super Doppler DX is pretty sweet and bright. Uses AAA batts, though I broke the mount on one (silly error on my part) so I have moved it over to my trailer.

I'd also agree with the PB Super Flash.

Considering you get ~100 hrs out of many rear lights using AAA's it usually isn't a big deal.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Idea! CatEye TL-LD1000 is over-rated.

I also have the CatEye TL-LD1000 and the Planet Bike Super Flash. No comparison. The Planet Bike Super Flash is brighter. In fact, the Cateye TL-LD600 is brighter than the TL-LD1000.

If you're concerned about the Planet Bike Super Flash's side visibility, angle it slightly towards traffic. My tail lights are always angled a few degrees into traffic. Also consider the DiNotte 140L rear tail light, which uses AA batteries.

mtbr member
    How about tuning up the CatEye TL-LD1000 to make the two rows blink syncrhonized?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    at least according to one reviewer they go out of sync after 90 seconds...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shtroodel
    at least according to one reviewer they go out of sync after 90 seconds...
    Yes, I know, I have one. I'm thinking on altering the circuit to make the two rows blink at the same frequency...

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shtroodel
    i looked at the comparison but im still not convinced that the super flash is superior, they compared the ld1000 and the ld1100 should be brighter, also the super flash is highly directional from the looks of it (even at 15-20degs off axis you'd probably be much less visible)
    I had to angle my Super Flash so that it puts a red spot of light roughly 25 feet behind me. If I point it straight back it will blind anyone who gets caught in that bright spot. Yes, it is directional if you think about that bright spot (it's like a red flashlight with a lot of spill all around). Even off center it is bright. Even in daylight it is visible as I rode behind someone who had one on a group ride in the middle of the day and it was certainly noticeable during the day.

I think that's the best test: in bright sunlight, is it still visible? How visible?

American Icon

as others have said

Planet Bike Super Flash is a fantastic rear light. Dwarf's the competition from what I have seen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Roads
    Planet Bike Super Flash is a fantastic rear light. Dwarf's the competition from what I have seen.
    +1

Members who have read this thread: 0