best light setup for being discreet on trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

best light setup for being discreet on trail?

so I have a nice light that could be mistaken for a car headlight on my helmet mount. what if I don't want to attract quite so much attention or be noticed from far away? climbing by moonlight or with a small cat eye type light is doable. but for descending, the trails I ride have too much tree cover and are too technical to ride without any light, I need to be able to see the trail.

I read somewhere that people use green or red filters which I'm guessing would cause more light to be absorbed rather than reflected? so does anyone here do that, and if so how does it work out? I would love to hear other suggestions too if people have alternative ways of dealing with this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How about using a high/low-mode light?

mtbr member
    hmm, that's a good idea considering the light already have has multiple modes

mtbr member

could try this...

trailvision.jpg

very discreet

~Disc~Golf~
    Blacklight
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Bandolero

Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled
    so I have a nice light that could be mistaken for a car headlight on my helmet mount. what if I don't want to attract quite so much attention or be noticed from far away? climbing by moonlight or with a small cat eye type light is doable. but for descending, the trails I ride have too much tree cover and are too technical to ride without any light, I need to be able to see the trail.
    Hardboiled, I have eggsactly same problem when I poach trails too.

Few solutions:
    Go to a crafts store and get some red or blue plastic.
    Hi/Lo switch.
    Extra flashlight/DIY dinotte.
    Light with lower lumen output
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    sweet, some great suggestions in this thread! I'm going to look into the helmet mounted sniperscope and the headtube mounted lantern. 1 if by land, 2 if by sea, right???

thanks guys!

Bandolero

Shout at the devil

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled
    sweet, some great suggestions in this thread! I'm going to look into the helmet mounted sniperscope and the headtube mounted lantern. 1 if by land, 2 if by sea, right???
    I forgot to mention the bat/sonar method. Echo positioning might be ideal. One way to implement this is to ride with someone else who is lightless and if you hear a loud - "thump", don't go that way.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One other thing. You need a "kill" switch. You don't want to be cycling through 5 modes or fumbling at a balky switch with gloves on, when you need to douse your light in a hurry. Once you are detected, it's lights out riding until you are far enough away no matter whatt level you light are using.

Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Hardboiled, I have eggsactly same problem when I poach trails too.

Few solutions:
    Go to a crafts store and get some red or blue plastic.
    Hi/Lo switch.
    Extra flashlight/DIY dinotte.
    Light with lower lumen output

mtbr member
    ....bringing the thread back to subject....I understand the need for stealth on occasion. I know trails that look as though they are going through someone's back yard. Late in the evening you really don't want someone looking out their back window and thinking someone is riding a motorcycle through their yard. Plus sometimes some of these trails you really aren't suppose to be on at night anyway. In order not to be noticed you either have to turn all lights out or use a really low level of light that is totally focused with no spill. To accomplish that I use one of the multitude of key chain led's sold by D/X. I then take black electrical tape and wrap it around the lens so no spill light is given off. The result is a very low lumen output good enough to illuminate the trail ( 10-15ft. ) so you can ride at walking speed or < 5mph. Just use some more tape to hold it to the bars and your good to go. The ones I use are something like these... http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20243 They are cheap ( ten for less than $4 ) and if you lose one it is no big deal.

mtbr member
    Aspheric, no spill.

The moon is good too.

A waste of time it is is
    Hardboiled, on a serious note this maybe along the lines of what you are talking about.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ulti...-lumens-with-/

It's an old thread, harking back to around the time I first started building lights but probably still relevant given the tint.

Members who have read this thread: 0