Best headlight build for a first timer?- Mtbr.com
    Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006

Best headlight build for a first timer?

Hi All, I'm new to the whole night riding and lights thing, but am keen to have a crack at a DIY helmet light. I have only a basic knowledge of electronics/wiring, but am mechanically sound and a quick learner. Unfortunately I will be restricted to using hand tools for the build. What would you recommend as a good headlight to begin with? I was thinking of powering it with 1 or 2 Li-ion 3.7V protected 18650 cells as I have a charger for them. Keen to hear your suggestions. Cheers, Steve

mtbr member
    http://bikeled.org/ is a good place to start.

Have a look at the numerous builds here too, something might catch your eye.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo the Devo
    Hi All, I'm new to the whole night riding and lights thing, but am keen to have a crack at a DIY helmet light. I have only a basic knowledge of electronics/wiring, but am mechanically sound and a quick learner. Unfortunately I will be restricted to using hand tools for the build. What would you recommend as a good headlight to begin with? I was thinking of powering it with 1 or 2 Li-ion 3.7V protected 18650 cells as I have a charger for them. Keen to hear your suggestions. Cheers, Steve
    Here is My 3W Light

How this all looks like

One Gear
    You might want to rethink your battery choices. A 4 cell will give you more runtime and moving up in voltage will give you more time on the trails as well. The link that Znomit posted is super easy to build and you can use basic hand tools. The cost of the LED's have come down in the last 2 years as well. Build one for your helmet and one for your bars and you'll be in good shape at night.

Good luck

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the heads up. I have a good bar-light on its way so was interested in the helmet mount as a supplement to this, hence the idea of keeping it small and light (including batteries). Still, am obviously open to further suggestions.

aka RossC
    You can DIY your own 18650 battery holder or Turboferret produces one aswell http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=472025

I agree with (edit) .40AET that a 4x18650 would be a better option.

the DIY dinotte thread is another easy design that is very beginner friendly.

Where's my funny hat?
    Aug 2006
    Thanks OBS, I was actually considering the Dinotte style as an option. Do you think it could be "supercharged" with more up-to-date components to give a greater light output? Steve

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo the Devo
    Thanks OBS, I was actually considering the Dinotte style as an option. Do you think it could be "supercharged" with more up-to-date components to give a greater light output? Steve
    The 'Duster' in my sig is basically a modified dinotte. It has an MCE running at 500mA without problems. I don't know how it would handle 700mA however.

You could always use a triple xpe R2 as an alternative aswell.

Members who have read this thread: 0