Beginner plug questions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Beginner plug questions?

Newbie here looking for help. My new six week old son has forced me to return to night riding after a few year hiatus. I have some old niterider minewts that I used last week and just couldn't keep up with friends with more power. Lights have changed a lot in the last few years. So I picked up a gloworm xs and X1 with the magic shine battery packs from action led that we're all on sale. Very happy with the lights but the battery packs are a little heavy for the jersey for the helmet X1. I am hoping to cut the plug off one my existing minewts and reconnect it to the gloworm extension cable. Basically creating female gloworm plug to male niterider plug so I can use my existing niterider batteries for the helmet light. Any problems with this, anything I need to be aware of? Picture is of female plug on niterider battery.
    Thanks all in advance Beginner plug questions?-image.jpg

RAKC
    Ya you can splice in connector no problem if you know what your doing and the list below applies as well:

-That pack voltage is 8.4v and not ,4.2/3.7v pack. New lights require 8.4v batteries

-battery packs don't last forever stored, performance will be lacking

-few year old pack your not going to get much for run time at all (guessing very little using higher modes) just because the batteries may not be that high of capacity compared to current packs.

They make smaller 2 cell battery packs that will weigh about the same that will run you gloworm for about an hour at max power. Action-led-lights has some on sale right now, better to grab one of them.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't think this idea will work. IIRC, the minewt has the LED driver circuit in the battery pack, not the light head. I have one torn apart in my shop. I'll go look at it again later today and let you know.

On edit..

Confirmed. The minewt has the LED driver in the battery pack. Nice way to force users to buy a (overpriced) NR battery when theirs die. Trying to drive a different brand light off the minewt battery will not work.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 05-01-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added info
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the reply. i guess the search is on for another pack.

RAKC
    Action-led-lights has a 2 cell pack (would be about the same as that) which will work fine. Not much of a search and their cheap. Stay away from unknown cheap Chinese crap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey so i have a niterider classic with no batteries, i have plenty of capable batteries but i cant find the right plug please help

Im new

RAKC
    You have to buy a battery specifically for it. Nightrider uses proprietary plugs.

Probably buy a better light for what a battery is going to cost you, everything nightrider is rediculously over priced except their cheap little self contained things.