Beamshot - What lens should be used ?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    44

    Beamshot - What lens should be used ?

    G'day gang,

    If we're going to submit beamshots at 100 ISO F4 6seconds with WB at Daylight, what kinda lens should we be using as a standard ?

    Very few camera's in circulation have 28mm or wider, so are we standardising to 35mm or 50mm ?

    I've got super wide (16mm) which is great to capture fisheye like beamshots but very deceptive for comparison with other people's beamshots.

    Tony

  2. #2
    aka RossC
    Reputation: ocean breathes salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_J_Ross
    G'day gang,

    If we're going to submit beamshots at 100 ISO F4 6seconds with WB at Daylight, what kinda lens should we be using as a standard ?

    Very few camera's in circulation have 28mm or wider, so are we standardising to 35mm or 50mm ?

    I've got super wide (16mm) which is great to capture fisheye like beamshots but very deceptive for comparison with other people's beamshots.

    Tony
    I tend to use 50mm equiv on my 40d. I.e: It is a 1.6 cropper so 31mm

    The theory go's that 50 mm is roughly equivalent to the field of view seen with the naked eye so it makes sense.

  3. #3
    Lets RIDE!
    Reputation: Jim Z in VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    How can you tell when you're at the "50mm equivalent"? I just looked up the specs for my aging canon A60; it has "a zoom lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 35mm - 105mm". But no way to indicate exactly where I am in that range. I've tried to take some beamshots using the MTBR standard settings without zooming in at all, but they come out looking too far away. But that makes sense now, seeing that was at 35mm.

    A while back someone posted a cool way of overlaying a beam width scale onto the beamshots, but I could never wrap my head around how it was going to work on different cameras. I guess the 50mm equivalent is the answer. But it seems, with my camera anyway, that it's just going to be a guess?

    JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    How can you tell when you're at the "50mm equivalent"? I just looked up the specs for my aging canon A60; it has "a zoom lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 35mm - 105mm". But no way to indicate exactly where I am in that range. I've tried to take some beamshots using the MTBR standard settings without zooming in at all, but they come out looking too far away. But that makes sense now, seeing that was at 35mm.
    JZ
    Your A60 uses a 1/2.7" sensor size, so your "equivalent crop factor" is 6.44:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

    Just take the focal length readings your camera gives you and multiply by 6.44, and you have your 35mm equivalent framing.

  5. #5
    Lets RIDE!
    Reputation: Jim Z in VT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks
    Just take the focal length readings your camera gives you and multiply by 6.44, and you have your 35mm equivalent framing.
    Thanks for the reply cosmo, but I'm not really following Where would I see the "focal length readings"? When I zoom in and out there is nothing on the display indicating the zoom level (other than the image getting bigger :-) I know the short end of the zoom is 35mm equiv. and the long end is 105mm equiv. And when you say "multiply by 6.44" is that something I'm doing with photo editing software, or ???

    Sorry for my digital photography ignorance. back in the days of film I did a lot of photography, with very good results (if I do say so myself ) But with a digital camera my results have been generally terrible. (a better camera would probably help, someday).

    JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    is that something I'm doing with photo editing software, or ???
    You probably have to download the image to your computer first, then check the EXIF data of the file to see what the focal length recorded at (right click > properties > details.. if you're on a PC).

  7. #7
    aka RossC
    Reputation: ocean breathes salty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    When I zoom in and out there is nothing on the display indicating the zoom level (other than the image getting bigger :-)

    JZ
    I think we got a bit technical for a P&S camera. My suggestion would be to adjust the zoom on the camera so that it matches as closely as possible the field of view you have with the naked eye. Just stand there and look at the scene and figure out what is visible at the extreme edges of your vision and then zoom in/out to match.

    Happy shooting!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yetibetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781
    Good answer Salty.
    Many, many moons ago when I was younger and we all used film we were tought to shut one eye and look over the top of the camera, look back through the camera.... keep doing it until both views were the same. That's 50mm and it's the view from one eye to compensate for the fact that a camera only has one lens.
    Last edited by yetibetty; 06-22-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.