Battery charging question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Battery charging question

Just curious if either case, below, is worse for a Lion battery....

1. Multiple short rides ( 3 x 30minutes) without charging between followed by one long charge. The lights in question are Niterider TriNewt and MiNewt and I can get about 3:00 - 3:30 out of each light with a full charge so I am only running the battery down about 50%

2. Charging the battery after each 30 minute ride.

Do It Yourself
    No need to charge if you don't need the capacity so I would definitely go for option #1.
    Long Live Long Rides

Light freak
    I charge mine after every ride, no matter how short

Per Battery University - http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...o_charge_table

"Should I use up all battery energy before charging? No, it is better to recharge more often; avoid frequent full discharges"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scar

Excellent link! The Battery University publishes very complete information about all types of batteries. I've referred to their site many times and I highly recommend it to anyone wishing to learn more about the care and feeding of batteries.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scar

"Should I use up all battery energy before charging? No, it is better to recharge more often; avoid frequent full discharges"

Thanks for the link! Another question for you....... How do you store your batteries when not in use for extended periods (middle of summer). The link states to store at 40% but would it be a good idea to cycle them periodically? I was topping them off with the charger every month.

Light freak
    Sorry I can't give any advice to this as I never store my batteries, almost all of my riding is done in the dark

Members who have read this thread: 0