Basic Headlight for newb- Mtbr.com

Sep 2008

Basic Headlight for newb

Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent headlight for trail riding. I'm not free-riding or down hilling just beginner x country. I'm looking to spend between $75 - $100. We will ride single and double track and being as it's going into winter some at night and want to equip our selves with lights. I look forward to your experiences and advice. ~~ Thanks!

mtbr member
    Buckskincolt, for that sort of money I think that Minewt mini USB (add at top of this page) would be a good move and I know that if you look around you can get it for around $89 ish.
    The plus version comes with a helmet mount and a few other bits that you may or may not require and costs a little more.

Sep 2008
    What about this light? I've been looking at it and would be interested in any feedback on cygolite. It has dual beams and I have found it for around $80 for the extra that has 10w and 6w lights.
    http://www.cygolite.com/products/hal...over_Xtra.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt
    What about this light? I've been looking at it and would be interested in any feedback on cygolite. It has dual beams and I have found it for around $80 for the extra that has 10w and 6w lights.
    http://www.cygolite.com/products/hal...over_Xtra.html
    I have that same light, and although it is [I]okay[I], it's not great. I got mine on clearance for $49. If I had paid full price of $80-90, I would be less happy with it.

A few main problems are, the light is kind of yellowish, you have to use a bottle cage to hold the large battery and it's only one light unit, whereas I like to have two seperate light units, one for the bars and one for the helmet.

Lately I've been reading alot of posts here (and on CPF) about using "torch lights" (fancy word for flashlights) and I think I'll be going in this direction soon.

I like the idea that I won't have to worry about wires and putting a bottle cage on to hold a large battery. If something happens to one of the "torch lights", I still have another one to get me home. If the cygolite dies for some reason, you better have a backup.
    Plus the torch lights serve double duty since they can be used as regular flashlights when not on the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0