Another First Build - XML- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

1x And 2x XML - First Builds

Thanks for all the info here. Wouldn't have been able to put this together otherwise.

It's a simple build to get my feet wet before doing a 2x.
    T6 1d xm-l
    Regina
    7135 driver
    Swith cover is back ordered

I still need to put a cover on the front, but I took it out on a short ride. This thing is impressive. With a freshly charged bat (~3.3A), my sf-15 puts out about the same light, but the xml has a better beam pattern. I still have some work to do on the digikey bat. holder - one of the leads came loose during the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another First Build - XML-light2-001.jpg  

Last edited by rlouder; 01-07-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Edit Title

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    nice and simple!! Did you have to put a cover over the front of the regina?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    nice and simple!! Did you have to put a cover over the front of the regina?
    the regina gets dust in it very quickly if it isnt covered. clear optics you can get away without a cover, reflectors not so much.

very sweet build! Beamshots necessary!

Dirt Deviant
    Thats a sweet little setup.
    What did you use for the back cover?
    And what kind of battery are you using?
    I see it is a DX dealio, but 3.3A?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks. The back cover is a table/chair leg cap. They're like 50 cents at the hardware store.

I have a few different batteries. I believe the sf-15 had an Angelfire 3000 in it. 3.3A is just a guess for the sf-15. I believe it direct drives on high, and I can tell it's much brighter with a freshly charged bat. I'm using digikey bat holders for the builds.

The cord is from an old cell phone charger that I threw under my car seat about three years ago. Finally found a use for it.

I started the 2x today and will post some beam shots when I finish it, probably this weekend.

Dirt Deviant
    Cool stuff.
    Did you use 3/4 or 1" tubing?
    How many cells are you making the pack out of?
    The digikey holders are pretty awesome for the price.
    I picked up some 2,3 and 4 holders.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Another one...

Here is the second build. 2x T6 1d XML, Regina's, 7135 driver using poorman setup, 1" tubing. Still need to make front covers for both lights.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Scar's design takes much more work on the housing. I don't know how he does it with 3/4" tubing. If I was going to build another one, I would probably jb weld two tubes together and use sleds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another First Build - XML-2x3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2x High Beam

Here's a shot of the 2x on high using standard mtbr settings. The leaning tree is ~130'. It seemed brighter than the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another First Build - XML-2h.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What exactly did you do to get the xml's to work with the regina optic?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg
    What exactly did you do to get the xml's to work with the regina optic?
    MtbMacgyver explains it here (post 7): http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=673721
    Check out his 3x.

I copied all the elements of the builds from here and cpf. The 7135 driver is inexpensive and works great. I used the 3 mode, so I'm not sure if it will work with a flashing mode. It's discussed here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=672091

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder
    MtbMacgyver explains it here (post 7): http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=673721
    So basically just:
    -Grind off the 2 legs (but no more?)
    -Expand the hole in the Regina (and make it round) so that it fits on top of the XML
    ?

aka bOb
    I have been lurking around this DIY forum for awhile trying to figure out how to build my own lights. The case I can do no problem, the electronics I get so confused on and I have been pretty much able to do anything I set my mind to. I just wanted to say that is an awesome beam shot and you guys rock!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    So basically just:
    -Grind off the 2 legs (but no more?)
    -Expand the hole in the Regina (and make it round) so that it fits on top of the XML
    ?
    Not that there's a right and wrong way here since it just depends on how you want the beam pattern to look. But I ground down further than just taking the legs off.

If you look carefully at the back of the Regina before you start any modification, you'll see a square recess the size of the base of an XPG. I wanted the dome of the XLM to sit at the same level as the dome of an XPG mounted in the reflector. To accomplish that, you have to remove material to the bottom of that square recess. You have to be really careful to get the base as parallel as possible to the front of the reflector.
    Last edited by MtbMacgyver; 01-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Yep. Having picked up 2 XMLs at the post office today, and played around with different optics I had lying around, I see what you mean.
    So then you actually glue/fasten the bottom of the Regina to the emitter "base" and not to the star at all?

If only the emitter of the XML (excl the dome) had been as high as on the MCE, re-use of optics had been much easier...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    langen:

When filing the legs off, I went a little deeper, too. As MtbMacgyver mentioned, it just depends. If you have an extra regina, you can file more off it and compare them. I put epoxy on the outer edge of the reflector (away from the center). After placing it on the led, I dabbed more around the bottom edge with a tooth pick.

bdundee:

It's not that difficult if you can solder a little. The mtbr community was great about answering my questions. As a first project, you may want to copy an existing light. That's the easiest way to do it. If you're unsure about anything, post your build plan before you order parts so these guys can check it out.
    Last edited by rlouder; 01-08-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0