Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Another Cute Tripple XML

32K views 139 replies 27 participants last post by  C-Far 
#1 ·
I've got all the bits and after some thought come up with the following design for a round tripple xml using a cute optic and a H6flex..
Thinking it looks a bit basic at the moment...

See less See more
#9 ·
I have seen that video a few times and it will work for the small stuff. Unfortunately the largest you can fit in an ER32 collet is 20mm (16mm for ER25) as the ER number is the outside diameter of the collet not the inside.

You're doing fine as you are and the results are the same with a lathe , the lathe is just faster.

You could always get a screw on chuck, screw it to an MT3 taper and stick it in your spindle! But what's the rush?

Look forward to the finished housing.

#19 ·
Bout time for an update..

Rear and front cover...working on the rear cover here..I machined the front and rear cover from one piece of round ali bar. Once i've machined the two sides, one side of the front and one side of the rear. I then saw them in two and machine the remaining face for each cover.

Front cover-after i parted the two.

Main body and rear cover in the 4 jaw chuck mounted vertically

#29 ·
Or you could do multiple grooves, but it may end up looking like a porcupine;). Though it will give you more surface area and good air flow.

I know nuthing!!
I gotta be carefull noy to remove to much material, it weighed around 175grams before i started trying to make it look pretty..
This has to cope with 3 xmls running at 3amps :p

#31 · (Edited)
For years there has been the debate about which direction the fins should point. In the end I decided both directions is best ( in other words I couldn't make my mind up ).

This light still works today after lots of use over a couple of years and it runs cool. Not 3 XML's and I had to do it on a drill press with router bits.

GD, I'm sure you can do a similar thing only better with your mill.

#34 ·
Looking good GD. Certainly a good testiment of what can be acheived just with a rotary table and some skill.

Make dinner...... life's hard for us blokes these days with all the extra things required from us eating into play time like cooking, vacuuming etc etc etc . Hope my wife doesn't read that sentence.

#37 · (Edited)
Nearly finished, just need to sort out the switch and cable gland...which will be a hirchmann M8 connector
Oring in place for the led end...

Oring in place for the driver end, which needs to be redone as i cut the oring chord to short :D

All put together..

What do people think on using one of my little mom switches? to small? If i used one of them i would put the switch on the right, M8 connector on the left and a status led above in the middle..
Or use one of the usual ITW switches with led in the middle as seen on the tripple P7?

And just to add, this light was machined entirely on the rotary table...wasn't as bad as it used to be now i have the 4 jaw chuck:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.