Alien Eye Home built light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Alien Eye Home built light

Here is one I made. A 5 W LED from a standard MR16 Edison Opto l lamp. It uses Cateye parts. All you need is a soldering iron and an oven.

www.alieneye.info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoz
    Here is one I made. A 5 W LED from a standard MR16 Edison Opto l lamp. It uses Cateye parts. All you need is a soldering iron and an oven.

www.alieneye.info

mtbr member
    Great idea ... why didn't I think of that? A good entry level light for cheap.

Can I suggest my holders as an option for the high power / long burn times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    did you buy the cateye spacer and mount or is it one you had from left overs?

I can't source that cateye spacer anywhere ( 533-8730 ) even the UScateye web site seems to always be out of stock.

mtbr member
    I still can get them in the US and in Germany. Write me if you need some parts and are in Europe. I spoke with Cateye US and they do not understand where the demand for the spacers is coming. Supposedly it is for a product which is no longer produced. I think when they catch wind all the DIY's are using their parts to build their our lamps, they might discontinue the part. In light of that I ordered 50 pcs in the US and 30 pieces from a bike shop in Germany. The German distributor told me he had 50 in stock before I ordered my 30 pieces. [email protected]

mtbr member
    Very clever use of FIMO. Is it tough enough with the glass fibers added?

EDIT - just read though your instructions - is the glass/fimo mix stronger than the epoxy (seems that it should be lighter). Just had a thought that this material may be good to use for building battery holders or other parts for lights as well.

Your light would make a great "instructable" (http://www.instructables.com/).
    Last edited by HuffyPuffy; 09-06-2009 at 03:05 AM.

mtbr member
    I do not think the glass fibers with Fimo is stronger than 100% two part epoxy putty.

I had a Fimo/glass fiber lamp on my road bike during the day just to get some vibration testing on it. I think the road bike sees higher frequency and amplitude vibration as a mtn bike with a shock fork. So I prefer to use the road bike for vibration testing of my lamps.

Well the bike fell over when it was parked and the lamp hit something on the way down. The lamp did not break or crack but the screw in the Cateye handle bar clamp was bent up pretty bad. That means the screw in a totally separate parts was the weak link and not the Fimo/Glass fiber combination. The lamp only had a small scratch, which could be sanded out. I am sure the Fimo/Glass fiber in combination with the large mass and surface area of the design will be strong enough.

Since I cannot find a small enough water proof switch I just am now making a lamp with two barrel connectors. The barrel connectors come overmolded between the + and - poles, and so they are in my opinion sealed well enough. One barrel connector is a dummy holder for when the lamp is off, the other barrel connector is connected to the lamp for when it should be on. With this concept I can make the lamp pretty much water proof. I will put the instructions on the Alien Eye website in the next couple of days.

I also have a splash resistant design to post where the switch is mounted in a position to avoid water contact from rain.

If you have the stamped or wire contacts for a battery holder, it should be possible to fabricate the holder using Fimo. Fimo has a little shrinkage in curing but if you have enough spring travel, the shrinkage will not make a difference. I used glass fiber reinforced Fimo for other custome "plastic molding" jobs. In some cases I think the two part epoxy putty has advantages when using other plastic parts. You have to be careful not to melt the other plastic parts when baking out the Fimo.
    Last edited by whoz; 09-06-2009 at 04:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoz
    I still can get them in the US and in Germany. Write me if you need some parts and are in Europe. I spoke with Cateye US and they do not understand where the demand for the spacers is coming. Supposedly it is for a product which is no longer produced. I think when they catch wind all the DIY's are using their parts to build their our lamps, they might discontinue the part. In light of that I ordered 50 pcs in the US and 30 pieces from a bike shop in Germany. The German distributor told me he had 50 in stock before I ordered my 30 pieces. [email protected]
    Are you in Germany? I looked at getting some but the postage to the UK was very high. Higher than the cost of the spacers. Which distributer did you use?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I cannot order straight from the German distributor (Paul-Lang). I have a friend with a bike shop here in Germany. He was going to order the stuff for me. My other order from Cateye USA is coming with a friend who is in the USA on business.

mtbr member
    Beam shots if possible- and by the way- this is so awesome. Perfect for my buddy looking for a very very budget light.

mtbr member
    Here is what I have for now. My digital camera has a small lens and does not do well in low light.

Cateye Otpicube, 30 Watt halogen, 5 W Edison optp

http://www.amquix.info/alieneye/comparison_photos.html

I will try to do some comparisons in the woods with profi lights from Sigma. I need to get some loaners from bike shops first.

mtbr member
    I received the Cateye Helmet straps for the Alien Eye today. <p> <p><p>

mtbr member
    Videos of the process are on youtube. www.youtube.com/alieneyeinfo

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i am about to build one of these lights. I have ordered some part including bulb and spacer. I will let you know how it goes

mtbr member

have fun

Have fun and let me know how it goes. What mr-16 lamp are you using? Where did you buy it?

Whoz

Members who have read this thread: 0