Adhesives?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Adhesives?

mtbr member

Adhesives?

Can someone please explain the difference between Arctic Alumina and Arctic Silver Adhesive?

I can't find AAA for sale anywhere, but LEDSupply.,com (where I'm ordering my parts) has the Arctic Silver Adhesive.

Thanks,
    Rob

mtbr member
    I believe arctic alumina is non-conductive while arctic silver will conduct electricity.

mtbr member
    You should be able to get arctic alumina from someplace like Frys electronics, or any of the computer stores that you can buy "build your own" computers from. (the arctic silver website has a list of places you can purchase from: http://www.arcticsilver.com/us_dealers.htm)

Neither the alumina or the silver will conduct electricity. I think the Silver provides a little better thermal path, however I have not had any issues using either one in my lights. The bonus is the Alumina is a lot less expensive than silver and works just fine... just make sure you have a VERY thin layer.

Lets RIDE!
    This is where I got mine. Cheap and reasonably quick to ship.

And, on electrical conductivity, this is from the manufacturer's website:

"Negligible electrical conductivity:
    Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
    NOTE: Even though Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive is specifically engineered for high electrical resistance, it should be keep away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. The cured adhesive is slightly capacitive and could potentially cause
    problems if it bridged two close-proximity electrical paths."

The Arctic Alumina is a true electrical insulator. And it's cheaper

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Silver has a much higher heat transfer coefficient than Aluminum, 2-3X as much; meaning it'll work much better to get the heat out of the LED.

Some common specs, higher the better (although I wouldn't hold these as 100% accurate, the numbers don't seem to be what I recall seeing in my engineering books, silver is higher as I recall) http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/th...als-d_858.html

Lets RIDE!
    The Arctic Alumina is a ceramic compound of some sort, but I don't know where that falls in the thermal conductivity rankings. I recall reading somewhere that copper has the highest thermal conductivity of the common metals

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Members who have read this thread: 0