9x cree light- Mtbr.com

Thread: 9x cree light

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

9x cree light

Hi guys. Newer modified a light before. First timer.. i got this 9x led from ebay.. nice flood but it is way to dim.. pulling 1.58 from the battery.. looking at a new driver from kaidomain. Not shure witch will work. The one that say 9 led in series? Have a picture of my light head.

Was looking at this driver https://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020909 will it work?
    I know it will get way to hot at 3amps. Just must have the chance to impress. I know i cant use it at full power more than Couple seconds.
    will be using lipo battery to power it

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The driver

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The LEDs are set up in a 3S3P configuration. The KD driver you selected is not correct for that configuration.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Your better off just doing the current sense resistor mod because these drivers are specific. If you can change the driver you can solder on more current sense resistors to boost ouput.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ok, resistor mod i can try. Anyone that can tell me where i should add extra resistor and the value of it? I have 2 of this lamp so is it possible to take resistor from one of the driver and ad it, so i use 2 stock resistors maybe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

RAKC
    I get mine from mouser.com. This is a "thanks to ledoman" he taught me this trick

Resistors you need are 1/2 watt current sense resistors.

You can see them on your driver, start with the letter "R" followed by numbers. The numbers represent the value. Luke if that say R250 means they are 0.25 ohm resistance. All of these are less that 1ohm. So the value ALWAYS starts with 0.(number from resistor).

2nd picture I think I see them bottom right sitting side by side. Biggest resistors on your driver.

Next is value of what you need to order. Type "parallel resistor calculator" into google, look for result link to www.1728.org.

Also I can't see the chip we need to on the driver but just remember 0.25 (this is feedback voltage hopefully). Use resistor calculator by first entering stock values (not the r but 0. And the number). Below those is where you enter the "resistor" your adding. Then click calculate.

The number is gives you is .25 divided by the value given on the resistor calc. Make sure this final answer for this use is around 3.0 at the highest, otherwise your light will cook. Those leds aren't meant for much current. Around 3-3.5 calculation translates to about 3amp current draw, and then being 3p divide the answer by 3 to get calculated current per emiter.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    9 XML LEDs in the 3S3P configuration can handle >9A. Few drivers out there could be modded to even get close to that.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 06-02-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added info

RAKC
    Oh is that xm-l2s lol. Was assuming they were xp-g2s. But even at that on that size head I wouldn't go about 1A each anyway. Dont need that much light and you'll be able to cook dinner on the light head lol. That's me though

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well the OP says he wants to impress with it so I figure 9A ought to do that, if only for a minute or so!
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 06-02-2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: fix typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yes. I know it will overhet pretty fast. I dont have to use it at fulll blast, just want to have the possibility to do it for a moment :-)