5*Cree R2 - Has anyone used one of these in a bike light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

5*Cree R2 - Has anyone used one of these in a bike light?

5*Cree R2 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35241

I read that they run hot and they seem kinda large.

David

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I haven't used that module, but for what it's worth, I built one from their 6 R2 module with the orange peel reflector. It definitely could out throw just about anything and had enough spill due to the sheer brightness.

Not sure how that 1-mode unit is.... Since it runs on such low voltage, likely all XREs are wired parallel and draw around 1000-1200ma(my guess)...so divide that current by 5. I know my 6-up module is 3-mode and on high each led gets around 400ish ma. Really underpowered for XRE but that keeps heat relatively low.

As for the size...keep in mind at approx 52mm diameter its relatively small at just over 2 inches.

Hope that helps some...

mtbr member
    I've read that most drop-ins have poor thermal paths and can heat up quickly. It's fixeable but still less than ideal. If you're looking at multi-LED set ups, a 3x XP-R5 engine like Quazzles L-333 or one of the ones from Cutter will only cost you ~$20 more, but be as bright with 3/5 of the power draw (or almost twice the runtime, looking at it the other way round). You'd also get a lot more optics/ reflector choices as they're much more common.

Oh, and it would be smaller and lighter too

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    You'd also get a lot more optics/ reflector choices as they're much more common.
    Aren't those 20mm 3up boards rather limited to small floody optics like the carclo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    Aren't those 20mm 3up boards rather limited to small floody optics like the carclo?
    I dunno, I haven't really looked into it as I'd rather use single LEDs on stars, but I'd wager that there are more options than for 5-up XR-E boards

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    Yes, unless you are running with XPE LEDs not XPG LEDs

Members who have read this thread: 0