4xpe beamshots- Mtbr.com

Thread: 4xpe beamshots

mtbr member

4xpe beamshots

Well I was talking to ODTexas the other day and he sent me a sample of his XPE build along with some lenses. While I love his build I just couldn't get away from using the mill. He asked for beam shots so instead of totally hijacking his thread here you go. Light is using a maxflex running at 750ma and I am using Carclo 10 mm lenses. Two spots and two of the ellipticals from OD. I love the beam combination of spread and throw. This is my new bar light for sure!

All were taken with the camera at F 4.5 ISO 1600 with 1/2 second exposure. It is as close as I can get to the standard settings with my camera as far as a real world look, although it looks a little brighter in person against the wall. Wall is about 140 feet away. Sorry the pics are a little fuzzy

Light pics

Switch has built in LED for connecting to maxflex status option.

Beam shots

4x low

4x high

500 lumen spot

500 with 4x high

Dark Star

Darkstar with 4x both high

Crazy bright (all three Lights) just for fun

All were taken with the camera at F 4.5 ISO 1600 with 1/2 second exposure. It is as close as I can get to the standard settings with my camera as far as a real world look. Sorry they are a little fuzzy

mtbr member
    What a little beauty Zen ,
    and nice beam shots
    It is just a shame we are limited by the size of the fittings we need smaller glands and switches .

mtbr member
    And smaller drivers.

Zen, your Darkstar really shines, though it is an MCE, it looks more than 2x as bright as the 4x XPE (which is plenty bright) in those pics. The beam for the Darkstar also looks really tight for an MCE, I am going to have to go back and find your original thread on that light since I had pretty much written off the MCE for a thower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice lights Zen,
    Troutie -I would have thought the size limit was more about heat sink surface area.
    Zen - any heat issues with these?
    Im about to do a 2 xpe light and im thinking about how small i can go with the heat sink.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Thats a great looking little light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the beam shots. Looks great.

mtbr member
    I ran it on high for quite a while when I was taking the beam shots and it got warm, but never tripped the thermal in still air. No wind last night wich is unusual around here I thnk any air movement will keep it plenty cool as it has a direct thermal path to the outside of the case with only Artic silver on the leds as the cover press fits everything together. I think I could even get away with running them at 1000mah if I really wanted to, but any smaller and I think thermal managment would become difficult or require too much attention especially when it starts to heat up around here in the summer.

I used the LM1-RS for the Darkstar. It is deceptive as it really does throw well, but it puts out so much light that It just lights up everything so you don't notice how far it is actually throwing light down the trail

I wouldn't mind a smaller cable gland but am happy with the switches at the moment until I can figure out how to start doing reed switches maybe

This thing is going to rock on the trail with the DS on the helmet and this on the bars.

Members who have read this thread: 0