35mm easy to dynamo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

35mm easy to dynamo

I like my diy dynamo light. nearly 2 years of constant use on my commuter & all is well.

I decided to make one for occasional use on another bike. Primary difference is that I want it to be self contained, but triple 20mm optics are all a bit floody, so a tighter beam would be a nice bonus. I don't have the tools or the skills to make my own housing, so turned to the 35mm easy 2 led housing.
    35mm easy to dynamo-m36front.jpg

With hindsight, I should have gone for the metal front & rear cover

It gave me an opportunity to try out the notctigon XP32
    35mm easy to dynamo-s33c32mm_01.jpg

It comes setup for parallel & the circuit I use requires parallel, which involves removing 2 jumpers & re-flowing one led & rotating it 180. I was more than a bit nervous about this, but it turned out to be easier than I feared - heavy pan on a gas burner. First mistake was rotating the led 90, which didn't work, but that was easily fixed. The 32mm board really is much easier to work with than the 20mm which I find a bit fiddly. I did try soldering the board to the aluminium slug, but I couldn't keep the slug hot enough. Not to worry with less than 1A I won't be having heat issues.

Optic is a Ledil cute

The electronics are pretty much as the last one, except I run 3 white leds (XP-G2) & one red (XP-E2). It all fits in the housing so far so good. Still need to finish soldering & will see how it works.

There is a reaonable bit of weight in the combined package, so about time to contact vancbiker for a suitable go-pro adaptor.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    ......There is a reaonable bit of weight in the combined package, so about time to contact vancbiker for a suitable go-pro adaptor.
    I'd be glad to try to help with that!

You can get a bit more throw and tighter spot with the Ledil Cute if you sand off the "bumps" on the front of the optic and re-polish it. I did that on my 6up bar light and IMO it helped tighten it up a bit. There is a fair bit of discussion starting here.....

Next bar light- Mtbr.com

and running through a couple of following pages. The links to the beamshots posted by the legendary Troutie seem to be broken now but they showed a notable improvement.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    It comes setup for parallel & the circuit I use requires parallel, which involve...
    Hi FB,

Did you by any chance mean to say 'it comes setup for parallel & the circuit I use requires series...'?

Interesting that you've chosen to use the 35mm Easy2LED housing for this - I've just got one for exactly the same purpose using the circuit you discussed at CPF a couple of years ago! I regret no getting the extra deep rear lid!

Sam.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for picking that up Sam, you are right I meant to say "it comes setup for parallel & the circuit I use requires series". Does Zemike make an extra deep lid for the 35mm housing? I only remember seeing one for the 20mm housing.

Ledil Cute optics are cheap enough for me to have a bit of a play with thanks Vancbiker. I don't think the adaptor requires anything special, most likely that one of your existing designs will work fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You are correct on the lack of extension for the 35mm housing - relying on hazy memory as usual. I see that the Noctigon link you provided features a triple board set up for series operation. That particular site doesn't seem to sell it though. Do you happen to know if it's available elsewhere?

Savvas.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry if I wasn't clear Sam - the noctigon board is identical for series & parallel - the difference is how you orient one led, a couple of jumpers. I purchased it set up for parallel & reflowing the led for series was much easier than I expected.
    35mm easy to dynamo-s33c32mm_03.jpg

Mountain Electronics have a re-flow option that may suit.

PM me if you are stuck for options & I may be able to help out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think I just hadn't studied this board close enough. Now I can see what you are talking about - a clever design! That's a good service that mtnelectronics are offering too!
    I'm interested in what your experiences with LEDs and optics have been and what you'd recommend for a dynamo triple (maybe with external red tail light)? My experiences have really been limited to using XR-Es and the clip-on 8 degree optics from DX.
    I have built a 6 led dynamo headlamp (Martin's resonant circuit), using 2 x triples from Cutter, but again just using XR-Es and a Carclo optic of some sort - I forget which as I stopped using it because I had to pedal too fast to get it to work! So I'm not at all up-to-date and would be very interested to hear more of your experiences and preferences.
    Thanks,
    Sam.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    OK - following FB's comments I've ordered 2 of the Noctigon triple boards and some red XP-Es. I asked for 3C XP-Gs to be installed. Half the price of the XM-Ls in FB's design 'cause I'm on a budget. We'll see what the outcome is. I plan to use both of these boards to build dynamo lights. One will attempt to replicate FB's final stand light design above - I've been wanting to have a go at something like this for a while. For the other I have a different (simpler) headlight circuit in mind. I haven't built a light for a couple of years so I'm quite looking forward to a bit of experimenting. Taking a cue from more electronically literate list members I'm going to go about it 'scientifically' for a change. I'm building myself a small generator test rig using an old speed-controlled sewing machine motor to drive a spare Shimano dynamo, maybe with a big O-ring as the pulley. That way I'll hopefully be able to test run lights while also being able to take measurements and fiddle with the circuit!

Sam.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I finally got around to finishing this light. The hold up was that while I could get all the components in the back of the easy2led housing, once I soldered them together, they would no longer fit. The main difficulty was that 2 of the capacitors are coin shaped, while the 3rd was a cylinder. I thought about putting the noctigon board into the cutout side of the pill, but the cutout was too deep for the cute optic. I could have used smaller capacitors, but at a loss of standlight duration.

The 32mm noctigon board was a pleasure to work with, so much less fiddly that the 20mm. There was so much room I included a diode & resistor in the front to try & free up some more space in the back.

One of my goals was a fully self contained light & I ended up falling just a bit short - I made a small board with 4 diodes & 1 capacitor which fitted inside a 1" steerer.

The main goal though was a narrower beam & the ledil cute did a fabulous job - the beam is only as wide as 1 lane, which means much less glare for oncoming people, a brighter beam & more throw. When you are limited to ~0.5A, every bit helps.