3-up XP-G beam pattern question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

3-up XP-G beam pattern question

I have read a lot of complaints about the 3-up 20mm board beam patterns being to floody. Has anyone ever tried to put the led and optic in a pocket that is deeper than it is tall in an attempt to take some of the "floodiness" out?
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Unless that pocket acted as a reflector itself wouldn't you just be cutting off the beam with no real benefit to throw?

Do It Yourself
    Agree, I don't see how the depth would change the viewing angle of the led or help focus the light into the lens. If you want more punch, go with the XR-E or 35mm triple board.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Agree, I don't see how the depth would change the viewing angle of the led or help focus the light into the lens. If you want more punch, go with the XR-E or 35mm triple board.
    XP-Es are also counting

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I guess my thoughts were that it would cut down on some of the light spilling to the sides. Hmm
    Nope 3-up xp-g's it is, got them in today and order the b2flex today. I am getting excited about putting this baby together.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

A waste of time it is is
    I think it will help with your perception of how far the light is throwing depending on what type of trails you ride.

If you are riding fairly narrow trails through scrub or forest then I think it will help. I find the light reflected back from close scrub actually closes your retina slightly, letting less light in and therefore affecting the amount you can see, you tend to loose the ability to see the dimmest light, ie that at the end of your throw. Cut back on the amount of reflection by reducing the spill and I think you will be able to see further up the trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That is what I was thinking. More of a focused beam. Most of my trails are single track, max 4' wide, occasionally a fireroad.

The housing I have been working on had to pockets for the led stars both deep enough to handle a single xpg with the deep optic. One side is going to be a 3up xpg so I don't need the same depth so I have some room to adjust the depth if I choose. I think I will play with it and see what I get.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    I think it will help with your perception of how far the light is throwing depending on what type of trails you ride.

If you are riding fairly narrow trails through scrub or forest then I think it will help. I find the light reflected back from close scrub actually closes your *retina slightly, letting less light in and therefore affecting the amount you can see, you tend to loose the ability to see the dimmest light, ie that at the end of your throw. Cut back on the amount of reflection by reducing the spill and I think you will be able to see further up the trail
    ....I think you mean *pupil but yes everything else said is entirely true. I use a small brim over the top of my triple xp-g. The under side I lined with aluminum foil to reflect light downwards. Not a whole lot of difference but it does stop light from shining too much into the tops of trees ( where it really isn't needed ). Still, I sure wish there were narrower 20mm XP-G triple optics.

A waste of time it is is
    Yes, pity I was such a poor pupil

Just a flesh wound

Still, I sure wish there were narrower 20mm XP-G triple optics.

Doesn't Ledil Optics have an 8 degree and a 12 degree for the triple?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ledil specs use FWHM so double those numbers.

Just a flesh wound
    Cree and Carlco use FWHM as well. Full Width Half Maximum is the width of the light which is half value of full intensity or more. Directly in front, you will have the most intensity. As you move out from the center the intensity of the light will start to diminish. The FWHM is the angle which encompasses the light from half power up to full intensity and back to half.

I have CREE Star optics which are 8 degree FWHM. Great for the helmet. I have the 16.4 degree FWHM Carlco for my triple XP-G and it is twice the size of the 8 degree.

The Ledil 8 and 12 would be awesome for a helmet mounted triple!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    I'd have to see beamshots to believe it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    Cree and Carlco use FWHM as well. Full Width Half Maximum is the width of the light which is half value of full intensity or more. Directly in front, you will have the most intensity. As you move out from the center the intensity of the light will start to diminish. The FWHM is the angle which encompasses the light from half power up to full intensity and back to half.

I have CREE Star optics which are 8 degree FWHM. Great for the helmet. I have the 16.4 degree FWHM Carlco for my triple XP-G and it is twice the size of the 8 degree.

I'm not sure what I said has to do with Carclo? It was more to the point that a 16 deg triple is still going to be floody compared to even a double 10 or 8 deg setup. Also, I thought you didn't have the Ledil optic so what 8 deg optic are you comparing it to?

The 8 and 12 degree numbers are more than likely from the Cute3 which is a 35mm optic. Ledil has a new 21.8mm optic on their site but they haven't updated it with a .pdf for awhile now.

Members who have read this thread: 0