3 Reginas in 47mm case, or...?- Mtbr.com
    Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

3 Reginas in 47mm case, or...?

Relative DIY newbie here. Been waffling between a 2- or 3-XPG setup in a Hammond 1455 case, and have settled on the triple since I won't have to push them so hard and will still get more light. Gonna be a helmet mount, so I'd really like to use the 1455C802, which is 47mm interior width. Next step up looks to be the 1455J1201 at 70mm, which is getting kinda big for a helmet. So, can I shave enough off of each Regina (ala scar and odtexas) to squeeze them in and still get a decent throwy beam? Or is there a smaller form factor lens that I could use for the center that wouldn't give me too much foreground spill? Suggestions? FWIW, I'll be running my MS on the bars, probably w/ some sort of diffusing lens to get rid of the hot spot. Thanks guys!
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

A waste of time it is is
    why not turn the box sideways and drill three holes into one face, one for each regina? You should still have enough depth working across the box to get in a "fire wall", controller and switches etc etc.

The build might be a little more difficult but I think the beam pattern will benefit. FWIW I think the regina is still to wide a beam for my likings as a helmet light. Lots of light and nice smooth beam but just too wide for me to get really excited. Even though those beam shots in the other threads don't look too bad, I can't but help think trimming the end off a regina will only make the pattern wider than it already is. I obviously haven't tried so am only expressing an opinion on this.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It's quite a lot to take off each one to get them to fit? I found the regina quite fragile and managed to delaminate the reflective coating quite easily, although that might just be me being heavy handed.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm, seems like finding a small lens to squeeze in the middle might be the better choice then. I'm planning to mount the LEDs using L-bracket, so if I can find something smaller for the center LED, I'll just need to AA a small block of aluminum to the bracket in order to bring the lens up to the level of the Reginas. Guess I'll see what I can find among the Ledil and Carclo offerings. Or am I making this too complicated (the idea of using the Hammond box was to make things easy!) and I should stick w/ 2 XPGs driven at, maybe, 1.2A? I was planning on AA'ing a CPU heatsink to the Hammond box, so the resulting heat shouldn't be a problem 9esp. w/ a Bflex) and using reflectors rather than lenses should mean fewer lost lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLee
    It's quite a lot to take off each one to get them to fit? I found the regina quite fragile and managed to delaminate the reflective coating quite easily, although that might just be me being heavy handed.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    2x XP-Gs at 1.2A is actually quite a lot of light - even at 1A they're pretty awesome for a helmet light. Personally I think XP-G + Regina makes for an excellent helmet combo - quite a wide hotspot with a looong throw (compared to a tesla + seca700) and decent but not great smooth fill.

If you're using a b2flex, I wouldn't worry too much about adding a CPU heatsink, unless you ride in hot climates - it'll keep cool enough when you're riding and you'll be able to step it down to 350mA for standing around/ fireroad climbs. You also have the back up of the thermal monitoring. I'm exceptionally happy with my 2x XP-G plus b2flex combo, though I'm thinking about a floody bar light (MC-E probably) to complement it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Go with emu's suggestion if you want to stay with the Hammond case. The Tina optic is ~16mm, but has shown to be a pretty floody beam. Odtexas noted in his thread about his latest rectangular that cutting the Regina diameter down did increase the spilled light. He also noted that just cutting flats on 2 edges did not affect the beam noticeably.

Ola
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Hammond box is not really 47 inside...47 is the c-c dimension between the screw holes, refer to

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455C801.pdf.

That means you have to remove the screw interface to get it down to 47. Don't have the Hammond box infront of me but I think it's closer to 40mm inner dimension. 2 Reginas fit's nicely but even a 10mm optic will be hard to fit in between.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, having slept on it, I'm liking emu's suggestion. It'll be a bit trickier to get the LEDs, reflectors and case holes aligned, but I'd rather do that and opt for more light. Thanks guys - I'll be ordering parts today.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    The Hammond box is not really 47 inside...47 is the c-c dimension between the screw holes, refer to

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455C801.pdf.

That means you have to remove the screw interface to get it down to 47. Don't have the Hammond box infront of me but I think it's closer to 40mm inner dimension. 2 Reginas fit's nicely but even a 10mm optic will be hard to fit in between.

Members who have read this thread: 0