2 lights better than 1?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2 lights better than 1?

This may seem like a stupid question, but would 2 HID lights with 500 lumens each at 6 and 12 degree spread be brighter than one light with 675 lumens, or would two lights with the same brightness not actually make thing all that much brighter?

I'm compairing the Trail Tech flood/spot MR11 system and the Light & Motion ARC HID system.

Homer
    Its not really the number of lights you have, it's where you mount them. IMHO a combo of both bar and helmet mounted lights is best. 2x HID would be overkill, but the two lights would compliment eachother.
    The drawbacks of a barmounted light are blind corners (no light where youre going, only after you've made the turn) and holes/drops which are darkened with shadows. The helmet mounted light avoids those problems, but has its own weak points, mainly being riding in foggy/moist conditions where you get a wall of light right in front of your eyes, really annoying.

mtbr member
    I will let you know in a little bit. I am building a bar light with wide angle optics. With my helmet light, it was horrible on the bar. Like Brum said it was difficult to see around upcoming corners.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by brum
    Its not really the number of lights you have, it's where you mount them. IMHO a combo of both bar and helmet mounted lights is best. 2x HID would be overkill, but the two lights would compliment eachother.
    The drawbacks of a barmounted light are blind corners (no light where youre going, only after you've made the turn) and holes/drops which are darkened with shadows. The helmet mounted light avoids those problems, but has its own weak points, mainly being riding in foggy/moist conditions where you get a wall of light right in front of your eyes, really annoying.
    I agree a bar and helmet comboo is the best way.....but I don't find the shadows of the bar light a problem, i like them. It highlights the rocks and tree stumps better, particularly important when you are knackered and its a night section on a 24h. Just having a helmet light can visually flatten the trail in my experience.

If going with those 2 HIDs, use the wide on the bars and narrow on yer hat.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Lets have some Kool-aid!
    Two lights are better than one. Plus, you already have a back-up incase one goes out. Theres nothing worse than being out there on the trail in the dark and trying to ride back. I have a 500L LED on my bar and a 3W spot on my helmet. The lights are made by Dinotte and I would highly recommend them.

http://www.dinottelighting.com/index.html

I'm in the more light is better camp.

I live to bike
    go with the two lights, on the on the helmet, one on the bars. And yes, two 500 lumen bulbs will be significantly brighter than one 675 lumen bulb.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana
    This may seem like a stupid question, but would 2 HID lights with 500 lumens each at 6 and 12 degree spread be brighter than one light with 675 lumens, or would two lights with the same brightness not actually make thing all that much brighter?

I'm compairing the Trail Tech flood/spot MR11 system and the Light & Motion ARC HID system.
    I much prefer both a helmet and bar light than either alone, no matter how bright.\

Currently I most often use a Trail Tech HID spot on the helmet and the same with flood on the bars. Would use two spots if I did it again.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0