2 lights...- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2 lights...

mtbr member

2 lights...

one HID , one 10w halogen. which one should go on helmet, which one on bars? for night riding of course...thanks...

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    A bit more info... What is the HID light rated at?? What about your riding conditions- dusty, muddy, solo, group rides, techincal singletrack, or wide open firetrail. Depending on the situation it could be either way around. Give us some info and I'll help you out.

mtbr member
    the HID will be a Nite Rider storm or blowtorch depending on which mount. the 10w halogen is a NR trail rat which can be mounted either way. I ride east coast technical xc trails, lots of singletrack, generally not dusty or foggy. thanks.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    See how you go, but I'd think about trying the HID on your helemt and the 10 watt on your bars. There's an un-written rule I've heard about how helmet lights shouldn't be any stronger then a bar light, but in practise I haven't ever heard of any problems. Just take some time to set your helmet light position up properly and you can't go wrong.

Cheers, Dave.

EDIT: If you can, talk to some local night riders about their setups, I'm sure they would have worked out what works for them. Obviously a helmet mounted light will allow you to see around corners easier and pick out obstacles on the trail, which is what you'd probably want if your riding more technical trails. A wide flood of some sort would be ideal on the bars, and would be a good combo with the more powerful helmet light.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat
    the HID will be a Nite Rider storm or blowtorch depending on which mount. the 10w halogen is a NR trail rat which can be mounted either way. I ride east coast technical xc trails, lots of singletrack, generally not dusty or foggy. thanks.
    Tight east coast singletrack needs a good helmet light to see around corners and such. I just use a 20W halogen helmet light (Jet Phantom) by itself 99% the time. If I use a bar light, it's just for back up or maybe a bit of front fill (flood aimed at the front tire). I may be looking at an HID this fall but it definitely won't be a NiteRider. The light heads are too heavy and the helmet mount puts too much weight on the front causing it to tilt. Whatever I get, it will be a bottom mount and not a rear mount like the NiteRider. Who knows, maybe they will come out with a better design this year. Check out the Lume Strada, it's inexpensive for an HID with the 20%off MTBR coupon (see link below). There will be plenty of other lower priced HID options this fall from Topeak, Marwi and others.

http://www.lumelighting.com/mtbr.asp
    Long Live Long Rides

Supervixen

HID on bars

I have an HID (Niterider) on the bars and use a 15W halo on my helmet. It works great. I point the helmet light up high so I can see where the trail is going and I use the HID to see where the bike is going. Most people say put the HID on your helmet, but I tried a helmet-mounted HID and I couldn't stand the extra weight of the HID light and battery pack on my helmet/camelbak.

one HID , one 10w halogen. which one should go on helmet, which one on bars? for night riding of course...thanks...

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankypants
    Most people say put the HID on your helmet, but I tried a helmet-mounted HID and I couldn't stand the extra weight of the HID light and battery pack on my helmet/camelbak.
    This is a design problem with NR and not an HID problem. Other brands mount from below and mount higher up on the helmet for better balance. The NR battery is the longest burning out of the top brands but it's also the heaviest.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    is it possible to mount a NR Storm to bars?? reason being, storm model is on sale for $270.00 from $400. thanks.

wawe member
    is it possible to mount a NR Storm to bars?? reason being, storm model is on sale for $270.00 from $400. thanks.
    Yes, you can get a quick release bar mount for around $20.

some kind of hero...

Personal Preference

I like a flood on the handlebar and a spot on the helmet. If the HID is a flood, then I would probably try it on the bars. The wide beam of the flood is great for close-in illumination, and the spot can be aimed wherever you need. The spot has enough intensity you can point it a long way down the trail for the fast sections... I've tried many combinations, but my favorite is 20 watt handlebar flood and 10 watt helmet spot...

Good Luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Yes, you can get a quick release bar mount for around $20.
    how do i mount the battery then??

wawe member
    how do i mount the battery then??
    Duct tape.

I forgot that light had a flat battery, not sure if they make a velcro pouch/mount for that battery. If it's small enough to fit in an under the seat bag you could put it there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I must say , it is all Personal Preference, But !!!!
    I like having the brighter light on my helmet ( except when it is raining ) Put the light where you are looking. lets face it the light is for your eyes to use not the the bike.

I also Just upgraded to a HID after years of Home made Lighting systems .

and you need to Come outto Vietnam and Ride With Me and SloMoJo again.

mtbr member
    would love to ride with you guys, you gotta see me on my new Slayer!!
    How do you like the HID?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thats true , Last time I rode with you you still had the Gary fisher

the HID is amazinly bright especially after years of Halogen , and how light the battery if for the burn time and brightness.

mtbr member
    which model did you get??
    so let's set up a time for vietnam. this weekend's good for me. maybe saturday?
    I'll pm you my email.

Feb 2004
    Wheelworld has both the Storm and Blowtorch (same as the Storm but for the bars) on sale for $270.

sock puppet

HID flood on the handlebar

and Halogen on the helmet... Lume Strada is indeed one nice light and it mounts on the helmet so that you dont even feel it... it is inexpensive as well and built like tank yet very refined...

I have NR Flamethrower on the bar and Lume Strada on the helmet...