2 led 1 driver vs 2 led 2 driver?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2 led 1 driver vs 2 led 2 driver?

I had 2 xml in single housings, one bar and one helmet. They were on their own drivers at around 2 amps.

If i series the leds and run off one driver they wont be any brighter right? Going to combine them into a bar light and use my ssx2 on my helmet.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you want a brighter light. you need to get more amps to the led. Diminishing returns though - with an XM-L 2A to 3A is 50% more power, but only ~30% more light & a bunch more heat, if your housings are up to it.

Running a single driver may be more efficient, depending on the set up, but that goes to run time rather than brightness

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What battery voltage do you use? For two XMLs in series you'll need a 7.4V battery.
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 10-30-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: clarify info

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    14.4v right now but will be building a another soon at a lower voltage.

I doubt I could handle the xtra heat at this point . Driver starts at 2.3 but quickly levels off at 2.

My set up looks sooo ghrtto right now, I cant handle it. Might be time for easy 2 led housing as I have no means to make a nice housing.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I like the Amoeba style light myself. It really doesn't require anything fancy. 1" square aluminum tubing and lexan is all I used for my first bike light (my first light was a lawn mower headlight built in a bigger case). $4.72 on Amazon (prime shipping) gets you enough aluminum to make 3-4 2 LED lights like this:

I think I used about 3.5 inches of tube. The tube can be had cheaper if you buy longer lengths... I bought 60" for like $15 shipped.

Make no mistake, the Easy2LED body is nice, but you shouldn't think you NEED fancy machines to make a decent light.

$4.72 for the tube (Amazon)
    $4.75 for the black tube plugs (Amazon)

Enough to build several lights. I have mine mounted using one of Vancbiker's gopro mounts and an aluminum gopro mount from fastTech (or DX) light this:

Going to build another light SOON to play with some other options of "optics" for my road bike.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How is the heat on the amoebs? I would like to run 2-2.5 on a triple XML. Not sure the easy2led would be any better for heat though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pretty easy to add a heatsink to the Amoeba design if needed.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The bottom of mine has a heatsink on it.

$1.74 28*28*6mm Aluminum Heatsink (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Mine is a 2 XML2s running off of a board that is suppose to be 2800ma. The light will get warm to the touch while sitting still, but I have never had a heat issue with just a single heatsink on the bottom while riding.... even during the dead of summer riding in 90+ degree weather after dark.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I actually have one of those. It turns out the internet modems I install have those inside...... I guess the next one I get that is broken is going back the factory a little lighter

But seriously, thoses are cheap enough to tack on to an order. If those are enough to run at 3a (2 to 3 xml) then I will just do that. Can be done with the tools I have.

Here is the build I copied, Puckedup did a build that used alu conduiat and it does great for sheding heat. I also like the ease of changing optics if need be. Only issue is I dont want to use the alu tubes anymore.

Any ideas of housing on these?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do...ld-805894.html

for a quick put together lasy night, I have them mounted on a L shaped alu braket with the driver and switch at the batt pack, I dont like it that way but I had no options for a housing on short notice.

The amoeba style look like the way to go for me.....or just buy a 4 xml solarstorm

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I liked the conduit set up puckedup put together. It is a pretty nice looking and easy light, but the cost of the materials was considerably higher for me over the amoeba. Either light produces a good result though, so you would be hard pressed to go wrong.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Picked up some 1x1 tubing.....it will be much easier to work with, easier to get mounts to work and more room for switches/drivers