18650 cell holder for a MS light- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,053

    18650 cell holder for a MS light

    Does the pcb in a protected 18650 cell do the same thing as pcb in a DIY cell holders like this:

    http://www.batteryspace.com/Battery-...ong-20AWG.aspx

    Is one preferable to the other for any particular reason?

    This seems to be a good reason to pick up that particular battery holder over some of the others which lack a pcb, although I worry about the quality of this one a little. This would allow me to run a slightly higher capacity unprotected cell, right?

    Iím also looking for a charger for the cells. Are there any recommendations? Iíd ideally like to charge 4 at a time, if possible.

    Iím planning on running the magic shine 900 and have the ability to concurrently run the tail light.

    Thanks for your help!

    Chris

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,475
    Is there any reason we can't solder up our own battery packs from protected 18650 cells?
    I'm thinking just soldering to the contacts of the battery, heat-shrinking then dunking in plasti-dip.

    I'm hoping you'd end up with something waterproof and simple like this:
    https://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1...ofcoating.aspx



    or this

    without the horrendous shipping charge and the $25 hazmat shipping fee.

    Please shoot this down if:
    - you can't solder to battery contacts for some reason- wrong metal, too much heat
    - the protection isn't enough
    - you can't charge these through the same wires as you discharge for some reason
    - you have to add *** protection pcb. (which you order from ***)

  3. #3
    Bigger is better!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    - you can't solder to battery contacts for some reason- wrong metal, too much heat
    If the batteries have solder tabs, you can do this. Otherwise it's a no-no.
    A much better solution is to buy a 18650 holder for the number of batteries you need.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    If the batteries have solder tabs, you can do this. Otherwise it's a no-no.
    A much better solution is to buy a 18650 holder for the number of batteries you need.
    I assume it would be harder to waterproof the holder,and it would be bulkier.
    Anybody know where to get protected 18650s with solder tabs?

  5. #5
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    I assume it would be harder to waterproof the holder,and it would be bulkier.
    Anybody know where to get protected 18650s with solder tabs?
    batteryspace.com

    http://www.batteryspace.com/18650ser...apankorea.aspx

    Tabs as a 25 cent option.
    baker

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,516
    With the right iron (high wattage) and good soldering practices, there's no danger in soldering directly to the ends of the cells. I use a 25 watt fat tipped Weller soldering iron, and with the ends of the cells tinned (about 2-3 seconds of contact) and the wires tinned, I can attach the wire with only about another 1-2 seconds of contact. These 2 processes are also timed in such a way that the cell has fully cooled between heat applications.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    With the right iron (high wattage) and good soldering practices, there's no danger in soldering directly to the ends of the cells. I use a 25 watt fat tipped Weller soldering iron, and with the ends of the cells tinned (about 2-3 seconds of contact) and the wires tinned, I can attach the wire with only about another 1-2 seconds of contact. These 2 processes are also timed in such a way that the cell has fully cooled between heat applications.
    OK, now part 2- how about protecting the cells- which of these would work for a 2-cell system, and which for a 4-cell 7.4v system?

    http://www.batteryspace.com/pcmforli...terypacks.aspx

    Alternatively, are "protected" cells sufficient?

  8. #8
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    OK, now part 2- how about protecting the cells- which of these would work for a 2-cell system, and which for a 4-cell 7.4v system?

    http://www.batteryspace.com/pcmforli...terypacks.aspx

    Alternatively, are "protected" cells sufficient?
    Conceptually, I like this one, that does post charging equalization:

    http://www.batteryspace.com/pcmwithe...02s20-265.aspx

    I'm not a big fan of the price, though.

    I don't know about wiring protected cells into a pack and then protecting them again with another circuit...

    Whatever board you get, make sure it handles however many amps you plan to draw. I think just about any of the 7.4V ones listed at batteryspace will easily cover your MS amp draw. The 3.0 amp one doesn't have great reviews and is also listed strangely (probably a typo) at 8.7v.

    Personally, after perusing the batteryspace way too much lately, I'm interesting in these LmMnNi cells:

    http://www.batteryspace.com/limnnire...ated148wh.aspx

    And this prebuilt, protected pack looks awesome for a long runtime option:

    http://www.batteryspace.com/LiMnNi-2...-with-PCB.aspx
    Last edited by baker; 11-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.
    baker

  9. #9
    A waste of time it is is
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,456
    The problem I see with that last one is that they are protected cells and whilst protected from over discharge / charge the cells will never be properly balanced. I'm not sure if that is an issue with that type of battery, I've actually never heard of them before, but given they are Li based I would guess best practice would be to balance the cells, at least periodically.

  10. #10
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,502
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    With the right iron (high wattage) and good soldering practices, there's no danger in soldering directly to the ends of the cells. I use a 25 watt fat tipped Weller soldering iron, and with the ends of the cells tinned (about 2-3 seconds of contact) and the wires tinned, I can attach the wire with only about another 1-2 seconds of contact. These 2 processes are also timed in such a way that the cell has fully cooled between heat applications.
    Yep, same here. I also put a small dab of flux on the wire before soldering it to the end of the cell, it seems to do an even better job.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    I don't know about wiring protected cells into a pack and then protecting them again with another circuit...
    This is what I'm wondering about. Is there any problem with using a pack pcb along with protected cells? Do you only need one or the other?

    I looked at some of the pack pcbs as well as what protection cells offer and it seems like there are some differences.

    In the description of the individually protected cells, it seems that most don't offer any protection against short circuit while the pcbs on the packs do. Is this a big concern?

  12. #12
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    without the horrendous shipping charge and the $25 hazmat shipping fee.

    There is no hazmat fee at Battery Space for the LG 18650 cells I just bought last week. I'm wiring up a custom pack for a Magicshine this week some time, I'll try to takes some pics.
    Long Live Long Rides

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ofroad'bent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    There is no hazmat fee at Battery Space for the LG 18650 cells I just bought last week. I'm wiring up a custom pack for a Magicshine this week some time, I'll try to takes some pics.

    Thanks, following with interest.

    (Who am I kidding- I have 2 decent battery packs, I'm just thinking ahead.)
    Last edited by Ofroad'bent; 11-25-2010 at 05:17 AM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    453
    A simple solution would be to buy the 2p2s 18650 holder + high capacity unprotected 18650 cells + 2 slot charger. This way the cells will be always balanced and the battery pack will have a higher capacity than stock MS.

    Only problem - waterproofing.
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    Small addition.
    If you use holder like post #1
    or similar on ebay and see this problem:
    "After insert battery(ies), must connect to charger to enable the pcb. Otherwise, you will get "no" output from pcb!"
    You can fix it!
    ?ttp://fotkidepo.ru/?id=album:39613
    Simply add on PCB R4 (smd 0603 2,2 MOhm)
    You can try and make decision.
    (can't add link, sorry)

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.