1800 lumen Regina batteries inc- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1800 lumen Regina batteries inc

Spurred on by Zakattak s light below and Golddigger making chips
    I have had the ali box section for a while so thought it time to start .

1 inch and .3/4 -10 swg box section , the 4 18650 pack is a snug fit and it will have 4 XPGs and Reginas
    running from a B2flex so the possibility to have high @ 1.5 amps OK it will be a drastically reduced run time but who cares . can always turn it down .

more to follow as it happens .

mtbr member
    Making Chips???

chips of the mill?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Spurred on by Zakattak s light below and Golddigger making chips
    I have had the ali box section for a while so thought it time to start .

1 inch and .3/4 -10 swg box section , the 4 18650 pack is a snug fit and it will have 4 XPGs and Reginas
    running from a B2flex so the possibility to have high @ 1.5 amps OK it will be a drastically reduced run time but who cares . can always turn it down .

more to follow as it happens .
    I was thinking about such a construction but decided not to go that way. The main question was how to make rear cover to pull accus out of the case or how to charge them inside. Your solution would be very interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itess
    I was thinking about such a construction but decided not to go that way. The main question was how to make rear cover to pull accus out of the case or how to charge them inside. Your solution would be very interesting.

Been in touch with George and he says it is OK to leave the Battery connected to the Bflex and also to charge with it connected so no worries there .

finding a small charge socket and plug may be a challenge did wonder about a usb type of thing

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As a matter of interest, what's the beam like with 4 x reginas as a bar light? The beamshots for 2 x reginas look like they have a bright central hotspot and I wondered if four of the little buggers would actually be too bright in the centre, especially at 1.5A?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JezV
    As a matter of interest, what's the beam like with 4 x reginas as a bar light? The beamshots for 2 x reginas look like they have a bright central hotspot and I wondered if four of the little buggers would actually be too bright in the centre, especially at 1.5A?

dont know yet but do know what 5 looks like an its pretty good
    might get all arty and angle them a bit but that will most likely happen by accident

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Let the mayhem begin...

mtbr member
    Little bit more progress

Heat sink slug made and Xpgs gouled on and wired up this will come back and bite me later

Didnt have any 20 mm stars so had to use the square 10 mm ones which makes it a bit harder
    as I needed to cutaway the bit over the solder pads but did find an easy way carefully stroking with a soldering iron worked a treat

Not really much work to do seems too easy at the moment mill a shoulder for the lexan cover and just rounded the sharp edges wit a Joinery router bit .

Right thats me warmed up again back into the freezing garage for a bit more

mtbr member
    Little bit more progress

Heat sink slug made and Xpgs gouled on and wired up this will come back and bite me later

Didnt have any 20 mm stars so had to use the square 10 mm ones which makes it a bit harder
    as I needed to cutaway the bit over the solder pads but did find an easy way carefully stroking with a soldering iron worked a treat

Not really much work to do seems too easy at the moment mill a shoulder for the lexan cover and just rounded the sharp edges wit a Joinery router bit .

Right thats me warmed up again back into the freezing garage for a bit more
    Deja Vu...
    I was having a discussion at work yesterday about using router bits in the mill for ali..
    And trouties gone and done it..

Looking good..

mtbr member

Well that was an easy one

Job done

I said the leds would bite me later and they did I made the heatsink just a smidge too tight and having the leds on it before installing proved the most difficult bit of the build as had to be very carefull not to destroy the leds while pressing it in the case

No real problems though the 4 cell 18650 is a very nice fit in the tubing with no machining needed apart from the little notch for where the Protection circuit is on the pack .

I have just got the Lexan to cut and glue in to finish .

Parts list is huge .

4 XPG R5 leds
    4 Regina reflectors
    1 B2flex ( Ace to use with the heatsink pad to glue it in place )
    power in / charger socket
    will need a cable for the charger
    switch is one that I saw linked on here cant remember where but it is a IP67 Mom Switch

Battery is a 14.8 V 2.6 AH pack from Mtbbatteries

Clamp is one of my own from the Liberators

I have the Bflex set at the Maximum 1500 MA on Three mode with level 3 being med and 2 being low Thermal set at 60 degrees

No thermal paste was used between the sink and the case as it was a right Barsteward to hammer it in it is a near perfect metal to metal fit .

Beam shots to follow but early thoughts are it might benifit from a couple of wider optics in there for some spill

Weight as you see is 419 grams

Last edited by troutie-mtb; 11-27-2010 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks really good.
    I didn't know that aluminum adhesive set up below freezing.
    Now I understand the need for the hat from the other picture.

The beam shots should be spectacular.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow, Troutie, u r really fast!!
    We want beamshots, though

Ola
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Troutie, how much clearance to you have between battery pack and inner surfaces? I'm building exactly same light and has some discussion about battery swelling with a battery expert at work (I work with mobile phones). He recommended around 1mm to be on the safe side. Round batteries swell less than square phone battaeries but they do swell a bit during usage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola
    Troutie, how much clearance to you have between battery pack and inner surfaces? I'm building exactly same light and has some discussion about battery swelling with a battery expert at work (I work with mobile phones). He recommended around 1mm to be on the safe side. Round batteries swell less than square phone battaeries but they do swell a bit during usage.

it is a sliding fit with 1 layer of shrink on the pack with probably .25mm rattle room
    so I put a couple of small blobs of sillycone to stop the movement

with out the shrink it is a rattly fit .with 1.5 mm clearanse

klynk
    not too fast. it is a real easy build. and could be done with standard tools and a dermal
    in about 8hours

OT. had to take it inside and warm it up to speed the set
    the het is required safety equipment in my garage at the moment

have thought about a wood burner in there

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very nice, +1 for the beams shots though . I would love to see what 4 reginas would be like on the bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacAttack!
    Very nice, +1 for the beams shots though . I would love to see what 4 reginas would be like on the bars.

beamshots may have to wait. as we are covered in snow but may try later

mtbr member

Beam shot attempt

OK out with the faithfull Lumen hound for a beam shot attempt

4 XPgs at full 1.5 amps with the Regina optic .

Starting with low

Med

Hi

A waste of time it is is
    Did anyone else start hearing the Jeff Wayne sound track to War of the Worlds as they scrolled down through that first beam shot pic?

All in one lights have come a long way since my first (and only) all in one although I suspect that probably has more to do with the skill of the builder than anything else.

Nice work Chris. Does it stay pretty balanced on the bar or is there a bit of movement with the extra weight of the batteries loading the mount?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the beamshots troutie, but a bit difficult to judge how well they're working with so few reference points. Looks like more spread than I'd expected but less depth. I suspect the pics are a bit misleading - any chance you could do some of your regular woodland shots, once you've thawed out a bit?

Once you've ridden with them more I'd be interested in your subjective views. I have a design for a 4xXPG bar light in my head but haven't even ordered the LEDs yet. Keep thinking I could cram a few triples in the same space but Regina's seem more efficient.

Thanks for posting another fantastic build. It's people like you that motivate people like me to DIY rather than go the magicshine route and it's great to hear about mistakes as well as what worked because hopefully others following in your footsteps will learn. Same goes for all you DIY builders posting here.

Cheers

Jez

mtbr member
    Thanks for the beamshots troutie, but a bit difficult to judge how well they're working with so few reference points. Looks like more spread than I'd expected but less depth. I suspect the pics are a bit misleading - any chance you could do some of your regular woodland shots, once you've thawed out a bit?

Once you've ridden with them more I'd be interested in your subjective views. I have a design for a 4xXPG bar light in my head but haven't even ordered the LEDs yet. Keep thinking I could cram a few triples in the same space but Regina's seem more efficient.

Thanks for posting another fantastic build. It's people like you that motivate people like me to DIY rather than go the magicshine route and it's great to hear about mistakes as well as what worked because hopefully others following in your footsteps will learn. Same goes for all you DIY builders posting here.

Cheers
    Jez

Yes not my best location but it is on my regular dog walk the woods is a drive and the motor was frozen up .will go to the woods tonight Lumen hound likes it there too

distance to the Barn and scary sheep is 160 metres so does give an indication how far it will throw .

though for a good bar light I think it could do with a couple of wider optics to smooth the sharp cut off ath the egde of the beam

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the shots Troutie, the hot spot isn't as pronounced as I thought it may have been. 160m

mtbr member
    May 2010
    OK out with the faithfull Lumen hound for a beam shot attempt
    Check out that sky!

A waste of time it is is
    Exactly what I was referring to Mr Lee. That is spectacular

mtbr member
    Great light!

Like you, I need a heater in my shed, -1.3 in there at the mo!

How is your bFlex coping with 4 cells driving 4 XPGs? Reason I ask is I have 3 cells driving 3 XPGs and it doesn't like it one bit. George reckons there isn't enough headroom and says I should use 4 cells. My light gives me a low voltage warning no matter where I set the Vmed or Vlow.

I'd be interested to hear how your light is. I'll also change the driver for another bFlex. I found a load of them in one of my drawers. Result!

Andrew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piesoup
    Great light!

Like you, I need a heater in my shed, -1.3 in there at the mo!

How is your bFlex coping with 4 cells driving 4 XPGs? Reason I ask is I have 3 cells driving 3 XPGs and it doesn't like it one bit. George reckons there isn't enough headroom and says I should use 4 cells. My light gives me a low voltage warning no matter where I set the Vmed or Vlow.

I'd be interested to hear how your light is. I'll also change the driver for another bFlex. I found a load of them in one of my drawers. Result!

Andrew

I did think about that so tested the 4 XPG array before hammering it in the housing
    and the VF was 12.5 @ 1 amp
    and only 12.7 at 1.5 amps .

so I may have got some fantastically low VF leds in this last batch from cutters .

so at the moment it is coping fine but have not yet run it right down
    I doubt whether i would be run at max much and would probably throttle the B2flex back to 1200 ma

mtbr member
    Really nice build. I also thought a UFO streak in that red sky pic would not be a surprise.

Love the return off the scary sheep faces when turned to the light! A bit heavy for EL34's head strap mount, but it would take a pistol grip for dog walking and other uses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Really nice build. I also thought a UFO streak in that red sky pic would not be a surprise.

Love the return off the scary sheep faces when turned to the light! A bit heavy for EL34's head strap mount, but it would take a pistol grip for dog walking and other uses.
    Fantastic Idea!

mtbr member

Cheers

Jez

Not done any riding with it yet as too much snow and now its melting too much freezing cold mud .

but here is a shot in the usual place with the Cuboid on high

and for a comparison here is a shot of a Liberator which has a measured output of 1750 lumens

mtbr member
    I think the liberator gives a more usefull beam for me personally

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    IMO, four Reginas in one line would give much more useful beam, than 2x2 square.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by klynk
    IMO, four Reginas in one line would give much more useful beam, than 2x2 square.
    I'm not sure it would make any appreciable difference over that distance.

OK, it hasn't got the spread of a liberator but its still pretty impressive for just four LEDs, even if they are driven at 1.5A. Critically, it doesn't have the overwhelming hotspot I feared it might. I guess replacing one regina with a medium optic might be just the ticket, which I think Troutie suggested before. Gives me an outline plan for my next bar light (unless the XML changes the game in the meantime).

mtbr member
    OK no beamshots but have been out for a long walk in the darkness with the pooch and did a comparison with the quad regina @ 1.5 amps versus a 7 up at 1300 ma drive and the quad regina comfortably beat the 7 up on range and could spot rabbits way further than the 7 up with the kathod narrow optic .

and even whopped my 7 up with the small aspherics and that is a pretty good thrower .

Didnt have the wide spill of the 7 ups but was certainly still very usable as either a bar light or one made without the battery inside a great hemet light .

now if we could get this level of performance from the XM-L then a couple would be fantastic .

mtbr member
    7 up with small aspherics? I don't believe I've seen that. Any link or pics Chris?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    7 up with small aspherics? I don't believe I've seen that. Any link or pics Chris?

Good question Jay cant seem to find where I posted it

mtbr member
    Good question Jay cant seem to find where I posted it

Interesting, where did you get the aspherics from? DX?
    How did you place each one over the led? looks like a right fiddly job..

mtbr member
    These are the aspherics http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l10017.html

yes it was a faff I had to make little acrylic spacers to get the focal height somewhere near .

ace light untill I compared it to the quad Regina and then got a bit disheartened at it being outclassed by a 4 led lamp .

so now going to do a 6 regina helmet light whilst waiting for the XM-L`s
    but will only be running them at 1300 ma from a maxflex though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    so now going to do a 6 regina helmet light whilst waiting for the XM-L`s
    but will only be running them at 1300 ma from a maxflex though
    OMG. That will be killer-light

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well very blond moment

Well I dont know what happened here measured = check lined up 6 reginas = check

measured bit of ali = check .
    mark out bit of ali = check .

set up mill and make a start = check .

nearly freeze to death and take part inside to wash and have a good look at for working out the next process then notice there is some thing amiss .

can you see whats wrong

mtbr member
    Well I dont know what happened here measured = check lined up 6 reginas = check

measured bit of ali = check .
    mark out bit of ali = check .

set up mill and make a start = check .

nearly freeze to death and take part inside to wash and have a good look at for working out the next process then notice there is some thing amiss .

can you see whats wrong

I've head rumours that the regina's can grow while your milling out a nice home for them..

6x20= 120mm you cut the wrong piece of ali?

mtbr member
    Hello Troutie. Want to thank you for the build log of the Cubic light (the one in here with batteries inside) and for the links provided. It looks very neat. No cabling to worry about..
    I like the way you conduct the heat. Its much more space efficient than using L-profiles.

Have you experienced wigling/shaking of the beam when riding? So I guess I'm asking if your holder is heavy-duty enough for the "load on top".
    My build (hammond box) is ~100g heavier (5cell pack) than yours.The beam shakes alot on bumpy dirt-roads, but I'm sure I can optimize my barmount

mtbr member
    Hi Bwack

Thanks , You have certainly packed alot of stuff in there Nice one I did think of using those square optics but with them being nearly 22 mm square they wouldnt fit in the stock metal .

no problems with it shaking its pretty well balanced and the Liberator mounts are a tad over engineered so hold up very well .
    I like the concept and have found some other stock metal that is a near perfect fit inside the square tube just needs a light sanding to make it an interference fit so minimal machining..

Back to the major cock up I could understand getting it wrong by a MM or so but not 40 mm . no idea what went wrong maybe I needed some alcohol antifreeze in the blood .

but have now got a cunning plan it will mean a fair bit of machine work but will be worth the effort .

The plan is to make a couple of small pods one for each end and hang them under the case also to make them moveable so I can swivel them to widen or concentrate the beam .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    These sort of things are "prototypes" not "mistakes".

I have a box full of prototypes.

mtbr member
    cold numbs the brains (and other bits). I spent a good few minutes doing side cuts on a little commuter light I've just finished (to give a bit of "side light" at junctions), tidied it all up and then realised I did the wrong end. Looks kinda funky though.

Members who have read this thread: 0