Thread: Stinky DHX

Loves His Sunday

Stinky DHX

Hi. I was looking for a new shock for my stinky. I read that the smallest size the DHX came in is 7.25 inches. I read about all these people putting DHX's on their Stinkies. Whne I emailed the Kona Teck guy about a new shock he said nothing over the stock 6 inches can go on my 04 Stinky. Will someone un-confuse me please.

you cant handle bars.
    Dec 2004
    your mixing up 2 things, 7.25 is the eye to eye length of the shocks. the 6 inches for the stinky is the rear wheel travel. they are two separate things. what you need to be concerned with is shock stroke length, not overall length. stock stinky shocks are 7.878 or 7.9 eye to eye with a 2.0 inch stroke. you can get away with a 2.25" stroke, and it wont hurt the bike, and it will increase your travel slightly, but not enough to cause any damage. but ideally you want a 7.878x2.0 shock. they shouldnt be hard to find, its a very popular size shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    the rear shock eye to eye is 7.875by 2 inch stroke. not 7.878 not trying to be a prick. so dont take it that way. i just dont want the guy going out to buy the wrong rear shock for his stinky. and they do make a dhx shock for the stinky.

Loves His Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    the rear shock eye to eye is 7.875by 2 inch stroke. not 7.878 not trying to be a prick. so dont take it that way. i just dont want the guy going out to buy the wrong rear shock for his stinky. and they do make a dhx shock for the stinky.
    Thanks Guys

Just roll it......

mxrider....

Something else to consider. If you have a Vanilla RC on your Stinky, consider sending it to Darren Murphy at Push Industries and have him revalve it specifically for you and your bike. If your bike only has a Vanilla R, then I'd just as soon get a new shock, but if it is a RC, it is worth getting rebuilt with the Push system I've got two shocks revalved from them and it's amazing - totally different ride than before.

You can learn more by going to www.pushindustries.com or do some searches on the forums for push industries.

Cheers,
    EB