mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Shred Dirt Jam forks very stiff in the cold?

Hi

I did do a search for this in the suspension forum but could see nothing...

I have a question about suspension forks and cold weather. On my 05 Shred I've got the standard Dirt Jam forks and have found in the cold weather they become almost as stiff as the Project 2s on my 98 Lava Dome!

Having never had suspension forks before this is all new to me, is this a normal thing for "cheap" forks to do when it gets close-ish to freezing or does this affect all forks to some extent?

Otherwise loving the bike, typical sweet Kona frame!! Bought it to do some jumping on as my XC bike was really starting to suffer, and finding it a great entry level jumper.

Thanks for any words of advice from those who are more experienced with sus forks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    My guess is that they use some sort of elastomer (big chunk o rubber) like the MZ forks do, which might harden in cold weather. How cold are you talking?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hi Acme,

I'm in the UK so I'm not talking too extreme cold, between 0 and 10 degrees C, I suppose, is when they really become stiff.

ES

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Dirt Jam Comp have only coil and MCU (rubber bumper) inside (acc marz. site , look under 2005 OEM forks) and the rubber will get stiffer in the cold.
    Talk to Windwave(importers??) or www.ukbikestore.co.uk , they know marzocchi , and ask it its possible to to get some Dirt Jam Pro or Dropoff or DirtJump internals .
    Im not sure DirtJump internals will fit as The DirtJams /Dropoffs are taiwanmade and the others italianmade. But its worth a try.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for that Caspar.

Last night I kept the bike in my house, nice and warm and the forks were absloutly fine, cycled to work this morning in the 3C temperature and by the time I'd done a mile they were totally solid. I think you must have hit the nail on the head as to the cause...I'll see how i can sort it!

I think my bike is telling me to take the the car instead on cold days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Naaaa , leave the car
    But d... its cold these mornings , -5 C this morning here in Denmark , takes a couple of km before I warm on my 12km commute , but I feels so much better when I get to the office than if I take the car.
    Cheers