mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Should I get a Stinky

Im in the market for a new bike. I like to ride hairy singletrack,XC, Some road riding to the trail head ( couple miles), urban assault,The ocasional Ski Mtn...pretty much anything.I raced Moto-x for a long time and im hard on Wheels

For any of you that have Stinkys, what can you tell me Pros-Cons, are they strong ? Do you like them...
    I like the Coiler but I think the Stinkys got a stronger wheelset & better parts but not too sure.I don't want to spend much more than like $1700.
    Thanks,Zach

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    If I were you I'd get the Coiler. The Stinky won't be to good at riding XC or the road, and you didn't say anything about doing really big drops, I think the Coiler can take a pretty good beating too. I haven't heard anything bad about it, only good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just sold my Bear Dee-Lux and purchased an 04 Stinky. This weekend I put in about 40 miles on it and my body can definitely feel the extra weight this morning. The first day we did some moderate trails and I only used about 5" of travel in the front, but these same trails beat up my 4" travel bike. The second day we did more DH type riding and I used all the travel the Stinky had. It definatley was more fun going downhill, but could I have gotten by on a Coiler, probably, and it sure would have been easier to pedal and easier on the ole body this morning.

I'm not certain about the parts spec on the Coiler, but you could always trade out at the time of your purchase for some stronger wheels. I paid $1500 for my Stinky, I think the Coiler is about $100 cheaper, so you should be able to upgrade a few things an stay under your $1700 budget.
    Last edited by Gonewild; 03-01-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Just roll it......

Based on your description....

I'd say get a Coiler too. I have a modified Bear with 5 x 5 of travel and I can tell you that bike did more drops and jumps than I ever would've imagined possible. Seriously, there were only two drops that I wouldn't do on it last year in the Whistler Bike Park. Now a Coiler, which is kind of like the old 5" Stinky (I know someone's gonna chime in and contradict that statement) is built burlier than my Bear and I think would be the perfect do-all bike. Still burly enough to do FR-lite and light enought to take on all day epics (albeit you're gonna be tired).

Now, I also have a Stinky and I ride that on FR trails and on our local XC rides that typically last 2-4 hours, but I haven't taken it on anything with a major climb or a true all-day ride yet. Based on the fact that it weighs in the 42+ range, I'm gonna keep the Bear for the all-day rides until I see how fit I can get!

EB

Fly Air Kona

Stinky vs. Coiler

ebxtreme is totally correct... the Coiler is nearly the same as an older Stinky Five. And, I believe the '04 Coilers' and the '04 Stinkys' frames are nearly, if not exactly, the same. The Stinky comes with 2 chain rings w/bash guard, and a Drop-off Triple fork. The Coiler comes with 3 chain rings and a 5" single crown Drop-off or Z-1, which would make for an easier pedaling bike. I have the '04 Stinky, my son has the '04 Stinky Dee-Lux and we absolutely love them. Our Stinky's weigh 39 & 41#'s, respectively... but I don't think the Coiler's too far behind. We both also have 4" C.C./all Mtn. full suss's, so we pretty much have the best of both worlds. The Stinky is one sweet deal for the price.

Avidcycler

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks everyone for the input.The shop by my house has both in stock, and im gonna go test ride them both this week. Im leaning more towards the Coiler for those all day epics & all Mtn. type. If anyone else has any opinons on Konas please resond.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just got my Stinky !!! I figured for $100 more, I would get bigger rotors,inch more travel. I didnt want to get the Colier then wish I got the Stinky instead... First ride will be tomorow morning !!!

Just roll it......

Right on zdawg!!

I'll be interested to hear what your take is.... Give us a ride report after a week or two on different types of rides (XC, urban, FR, etc.).

My advice: Take it out on some nice leisurely rides with your buddies to acclimate to the weight, wide bars, slacker angles, etc. It' takes a little while to get used to those things. The weight will seem pretty different at first, but you get used to it. I can tell you my legs are in better shape now than they've been in a long while....so your fitness level from riding a bigger bike on XC trails will definitely increase.

Also, take advantage of your quick release and raise / lower your seat when you need to. It makes a huge difference for me on the big climbs to raise it as high as I possible..

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zdawg
    I just got my Stinky !!! I figured for $100 more, I would get bigger rotors,inch more travel. I didnt want to get the Colier then wish I got the Stinky instead... First ride will be tomorow morning !!!
    Congrats, this weekend looks good for us, mid 60's, can't wait to put more miles on mine as well.

mtbr member
    Congrats, zdawg. I'm currently having the same dilemma you were -- Coiler vs Stinky. I know the Coiler would make more sense for climbing, which I do a fair bit of, but when you do a component-by-component comparison, the Stinky really shines. Bigger rotors, extra travel on both ends, better derailleurs, etc. Right now I'm considering just sucking up the weight increase (only five or six pounds heavier than my old FSR) and taking my time on the climbs.

Any guidance considering your similar decision?

inner peace to make peace

go Stinky or go with a Kona hardtail with Z1

go Stinky (or go with a great climbing Kona hardtail with Z1 5" eta fork with fat 2.3+" tires)

you can set up the Stinky with longer stem and lower handlebars to improve the climbing (crawling?) by shifting to the 22 ring x 34 cassett. the slow climb on the 40# rig will give you a quite a sweet workout then you can really be rewarded on the downhill.

Coiler seems like a excellent compromise, but Stinky's even more passionate. Coiler's great, not doubt, but if you're not into xc racing with that bike then what does it matter that it takes a few minuits more to get to the top of the hill from where the dh speed and control of a dual crown 6" fork of the Stinky will shine.

Go fer dual crown 40# fs or 25# hardtail
    Last edited by TrailNut; 04-27-2004 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member

Agreed...I went for the Stinky

Thanks, TrailNut. I clearly agreed with your approach -- I bought the new Stinky and I've been riding it for a month. I laughed at your line about the Stinky being more passionate than the Coiler. That's exactly how I felt after riding them both -- the Coiler felt excellent, but the Stinky inspired more desire. Plus I've wanted one for five years or so.

I got the lower gearing installed right off the bat and the bike climbs great. Slowly, yes, but what's the rush? It's so much fun on my local descents that I quickly forget the pain of the climbs, and I always have to remind myself that steep climbs are painful no matter what you're riding.

About my only complaint is that it's a really loud bike. The brakes sing and grind and hiss most of the time, and I have no idea why they're occasionally quiet. The fork knocks and rattles a fair bit too...might have to get that checked out. But overall, it's been ridiculously fun.

I also like your suggestion to pick up a light hardtail with a great fork and beefy tires. That will be my next bike. Hmm...sounds like the beginning of a quiver.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    dude get a stinky dee-lux you will be vary happy. the forks and shock come realley soft though but that can esaley get fixed. so get the stink and you wont be disipointed i promis.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by decline257
    dude get a stinky dee-lux you will be vary happy. the forks and shock come realley soft though but that can esaley get fixed. so get the stink and you wont be disipointed i promis.
    Nothing like digging up a 2 year old thread for your first post. Congrats!

EBX

mtbr member

stand-up stinky

Take it easy on the newbie, there EBX.

I was chuckling at this one yesterday, too...especially since zdawg started the thread and had long ago reported on his decision to get the Stinky. He's probably moved on to something else by now.

Can't believe that was already two years ago! I'm starting my third season on my bike and it still feels pretty good after lots of use and some abuse.

Just roll it......
    Hey J.....yeah tell me about it. Both my Stinky and Bear are 2002's and holding up great. Of course, the Bear's rear end was replaced after our trip to the interior and no problems since. As a matter of fact, I just put my Stinky on a diet with a lighter fork and wheels to make it more of a do-all bike.....kind of like a Coiler.

Hey, I might do a Nelson trip this summer. If so, interested in a rendezvous? Might try to make it a long weekend. No dates determined yet.

Cheers,
    EB

Quote Originally Posted by headspacej
    Take it easy on the newbie, there EBX.

I was chuckling at this one yesterday, too...especially since zdawg started the thread and had long ago reported on his decision to get the Stinky. He's probably moved on to something else by now.

Can't believe that was already two years ago! I'm starting my third season on my bike and it still feels pretty good after lots of use and some abuse.

mtbr member
    "...I just put my Stinky on a diet with a lighter fork and wheels to make it more of a do-all bike..."
    I've been pondering this same strategy for my Stinky, and I've been trying to figure out how I'd get the most bang for the buck. I'm reluctant to go for lighter wheels, mostly because of the expense, but also because I used to bend rims all the time (granted, that was back in the hardtail days -- I assume the travel on these bikes takes the pressure off rims). I need a new fork anyway, and could drop a few pounds there. I might save a pound by going to lighter tires and tubes. Other components like the stem, bars and seat could be swapped, but the weight difference probably wouldn't justify the expense.

Overall, I'm not sure that dropping four or five pounds would make me feel any differently about my bike. I use it for everything right now anyway, and have learned to climb reasonably well on it. What were the exact changes you made to the Stinky, and how much difference did you notice on the trail? Also, how much easier is your Bear to ride (and what's the weight difference between the two bikes)?

re: Nelson
    Sounds awesome -- I'd be totally into that. And I'll probably try to talk you into an Okanagan stopover. Come in Friday night for some beer 'n bs, an epic ride in the morning, quick dip in the lake and maybe lunch at a winery...then arriving in Nelson by supper time.
    : )