Still on Training Wheels!

Shock upgrade for an 04 coiler

Looking to maximize my rear travel by getting a new shock. It came stock with a Vannila R, so far I've been happy with it, but I want to take my ridding to the next level. I ride aggressive XC, but am really getting into Freeriding, and want the coiler to be my do it all bike. I weigh 185 geared up, and don't consider myself "smooth", but i'm not overly hard on the bike either. Any thoughts?
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    Looking to maximize my rear travel by getting a new shock. It came stock with a Vannila R, so far I've been happy with it, but I want to take my ridding to the next level. I ride aggressive XC, but am really getting into Freeriding, and want the coiler to be my do it all bike. I weigh 185 geared up, and don't consider myself "smooth", but i'm not overly hard on the bike either. Any thoughts?
    Fox DHX 5.0. I recently upgarded from the stock vanilla on my Stinky. Having never spent much time on a 5th or any other top end shock, I can't really compare the DHX to them, but the adjustments seem endless on the DHX.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

DHX5.0 : upgrade or not

Quote Originally Posted by Gonewild
    Fox DHX 5.0. I recently upgarded from the stock vanilla on my Stinky. Having never spent much time on a 5th or any other top end shock, I can't really compare the DHX to them, but the adjustments seem endless on the DHX.
    Is the DHX very different from the Vanilla ? Is the bike behaviour enhanced ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vince
    Is the DHX very different from the Vanilla ? Is the bike behaviour enhanced ?
    With my vanilla, I ran a weaker spring than recommended for my weight. Mt Stinky is all purpose, from 20-30 mile trail rides to the DH ski slope runs. I like the rear to be very plush and had to go with a weaker spring to get the feel I like. When I went with a heavier spring, it was too harsh. The only downfall to the weaker spring was I did go through the travel it I wasn't very careful on some of the bigger hits.

With the DHX, I have it setup super plush on the smaller to medium hits, but it ramps up at the end of the travel and dosen't bottom out on the bigger hits. The propedal adjustment is easy to change on the fly so when I start climbing, I reach down, turn it up and take out some of the plushness, reach down and back it off when I start DH. It's the best of both worlds.

I'm waiting on a weaker spring now for the DHX, I want to see just how far I can take it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonewild
    With my vanilla, I ran a weaker spring than recommended for my weight. Mt Stinky is all purpose, from 20-30 mile trail rides to the DH ski slope runs. I like the rear to be very plush and had to go with a weaker spring to get the feel I like. When I went with a heavier spring, it was too harsh. The only downfall to the weaker spring was I did go through the travel it I wasn't very careful on some of the bigger hits.

With the DHX, I have it setup super plush on the smaller to medium hits, but it ramps up at the end of the travel and dosen't bottom out on the bigger hits. The propedal adjustment is easy to change on the fly so when I start climbing, I reach down, turn it up and take out some of the plushness, reach down and back it off when I start DH. It's the best of both worlds.

I'm waiting on a weaker spring now for the DHX, I want to see just how far I can take it.
    Thanks for your answer. DHX 5.0 seems definitely to be a great upgrade for my 05 Coiler (my vanilla spring is also too weak)