mtbr member

Score me some D.O.P.E

Working on finishing my 07 Stinky and I want to put a DOPE on it. Problem is I cannot find out where to order one. Anyone know where you get the dumb thing?

Thanks in advance
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I ordered mine through my LBS, cost me $236. I ordered the DOPE 12 Floater kit and Rod #3.

Couple things you should be aware of...
    1) Cannot use an 8" rotor. 7" (180mm) max.

2) The kit may not come with all the parts needed to install properly. Mine came with a spacer missing, so I bought some washers (6 to be exact) to use as the second spacer. Kona is aware that some kits don;t come with both spacers, so they suggest you buy some washers or have your LBS get in touch with Kona. Personally I like the washers better. I used mine to space the brake rod from the frame and give me more tire clearance.

3) Tire clearance. Biggest tire you could probably get away with is a true 2.5 and get minimal rubbing. This however is with using the 6 washers to space out the arm, with the stock spacer (3 washers thick) you'd be looking at a 2.3.

IMO, the system is totally worth it. I went to a 6" rotor because I feel that the suspension is working so much better when braking and I remain in more control, I don;t need a big rotor.

mtbr member
    Red5, thanks for the info. I am not sure if there is a Kona dealer close to me or not but I will look it up on the website. I appreciate the info on the sizing too, I run 185mm rotors (which I have a bunch of so I am not looking to switch) so I am hoping that is not a problem. $236, not bad considering what all of the "Fabulous" bikes cost who's design just cuts down on brake jack but does not eliminate it! Kenda Nevegal 2.5's are what I am going to run so that might be the only issue as I am told Kenda's run big. Might have to rethink that.

Thanks!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller
    Red5, thanks for the info. I am not sure if there is a Kona dealer close to me or not but I will look it up on the website. I appreciate the info on the sizing too, I run 185mm rotors (which I have a bunch of so I am not looking to switch) so I am hoping that is not a problem. $236, not bad considering what all of the "Fabulous" bikes cost who's design just cuts down on brake jack but does not eliminate it! Kenda Nevegal 2.5's are what I am going to run so that might be the only issue as I am told Kenda's run big. Might have to rethink that.

Thanks!
    Your 185's should be fine.

I also believe you should have no issues with the 2.5 Nev if you space out the brake arm at the seat tube like I mentioned. I occasionally run a Telonix 2.4 with plenty of space.

Local Kona dealer in Boise...
    A1 Bike & Skate
    1534 Vista Ave.
    Boise, ID. 83705 US
    Telephone: 208-338-1331

You can also try calling my LKBS (local kona bike shop) the Path in Tustin,Ca. They can order and ship anywhere. Ph. 714-669-0784 (ask for Tani) or email sales@thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Yup, A1 is the place I found. $225 plus tax! The guy was really down to earth too, nice to find a place like that here. Thanks!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Duckiller,

Just wanted to follow up, hows it going with the DOPE???

I also had a follow ups of my own.

1) the 8" rotor does work, but it gets very close. My initial measurements were a little off and I've been using the 8 for a bit now without issue.

mtbr member
    I have not hooked it up yet. Just finishing up the build still. Got the wheels (729's) but hate the Panaracer 2.4's I have so I ordered some Kendas and a new saddle that will be here Friday. I went with Juicy 5's because they were such a killer deal but I think I need to switch to a 203mm up front. I have to admit that I have not ridden it a ton yet, just enough to get the feel and figure out the stuff I need to dial in. Hopefully I will have a chance to get it together this weekend and will give a report. I also need to order a stiffer spring for the Domain but that can wait until spring and the resorts open.

The good news is that even though it's not finished it is a kick in the a$$ to ride, soooo different than my AM bike. Makes me a lot more fearless. I am super stoked with the purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    For those who have bought this, what all do you get with said "D.O.P.E. System"?

Reason I ask is because my rear triangle wouldnt allow for the installation of the D.O.P.E. System. Can you still use your existing rear hub, or do you have to buy a new one and have the wheel relaced?
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepXJ3
    For those who have bought this, what all do you get with said "D.O.P.E. System"?

Reason I ask is because my rear triangle wouldnt allow for the installation of the D.O.P.E. System. Can you still use your existing rear hub, or do you have to buy a new one and have the wheel relaced?
    I got the items outlined in red in the following picture, rod #3 and DOPE 12 FL Kit, when I ordered mine.

Basically I got #3 rod to attach the floater to the main frame, set of DOPE compatible 12mm thru axle dropouts, 12mm thru axle and the floating brake arm (FL BK #2 in pic).

My wheelset, Azonic Outlaw, was already compatible so no issues there. Basically you can get it in 2 different configs; either a 12mm thru axle or a QR. However, I know for a fact that Brake Therapy, the makers of the DOPE kit, make a kit for older Kona's and I'm pretty sure you can get it to fit most hubs, including QR's. I'd give them a shout if this is something your interested in. IMO it's worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    yeah, I know they do. I had been shotting emails back and forth to them. My problem is that I would rather have the newer style DOPE system rather than the old, your rear triangle is bowed out to allow for more clearence for your ROD #3. The older system does not take this into concideration, and would most likely rub. I would also like to do the 12mm through axle conversion and with my current setup thats not a possibility, I would have to change the entire hub. Now with that in mind, there are very few hubs that I would like to upgrade to, and the hub is about the same price as the FF kit. So if I sink that kind of money into upgrading to a full float on a bike that I allready paid 2k for, its not really worth it IMHO. Essencially I have a $2k bike with over $600 in mods, of which I could have put twards a better bike in the first place.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepXJ3
    yeah, I know they do. I had been shotting emails back and forth to them. My problem is that I would rather have the newer style DOPE system rather than the old, your rear triangle is bowed out to allow for more clearence for your ROD #3. The older system does not take this into concideration, and would most likely rub. I would also like to do the 12mm through axle conversion and with my current setup thats not a possibility, I would have to change the entire hub. Now with that in mind, there are very few hubs that I would like to upgrade to, and the hub is about the same price as the FF kit. So if I sink that kind of money into upgrading to a full float on a bike that I allready paid 2k for, its not really worth it IMHO. Essencially I have a $2k bike with over $600 in mods, of which I could have put twards a better bike in the first place.
    Well if the bike in your sig is the bike in question, your kind of SOL. That frame is not compatible with a 12mm axle and isn't upgradable to the DOPE system. Honestly, talking with Brake Therapy will probably be your best bet to find the best solution, believe me those guys have the floating brake system figured out and can retrofit most bike. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0