yeah, uh............bikes

Rear Triangle replacement???

Today I bent my seat stay on the right hand side of the rear triangle of my '03 Kona Dawg. The bike is still rideable, but the seat stay has a pretty nice dent in it. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the rear triangle, or do I need a new whole new frame? I haven't taken a great look at the rest of the bike because I busted up my ribcage and hip pretty bad in the crash, so I don't know if anything else is broken/bent.

Just roll it......

Unless other stuff is broken or bent....

....(other than you, or course!! ), then I think you'll be able to get a new seatstay from Kona and be all good. Realistically, if it's a small dent, you're probably ok to ride it for a bit - depends on where it is, how big it is, etc.. Got any pics of the dent?

A buddy broke his chainstay on his '02 Bear and they took great care of him and he was back on his bike within a week and a half. Knock wood, but I haven't had any big dents, frame breaks or cracks, but I'd probably have to clean my bikes to be able to find them! I'm not sure how Kona will view this situation, but my experience is that they usually take care of folks and try to get you back on your bike asap. Give them a shout tomorrow and see what they say.
    http://www.konaworld.com/tech/tech_c...ch_contact.htm

EB

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    As long as it didn't make the rear end go out of alignment or anything I wouldn't really worry about it.

The rear end is a little off right now, I'm not sure if it's from the actual wreck or if it's out of alignment. The rear disc is rubbing more than usual and the derailleur isn't shifting nicely. Besides that stuff, there is a ding perpendicular to the seat stay tube direction that looks like it came from bending rather than striking a rock or something.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    This is completely random but were you at Santos on Sunday?

Back to the problem,

If you bought the bike at Mr Goodbike then take it back to them and see if they'll look at it. There is a special tool to check the dropout alignment of frames, not sure if they have one cause they're a relatively new and smaller shop but go there first as they are the Kona dealer in Gainesville. If they don't have anything to check the alignment in sure some of the larger shops in town do. Like Gator Cycle or University Bicycle. Mr Goodbike should be able to help you out, they have always treated me right.

[QUOTE=Acme54321]This is completely random but were you at Santos on Sunday QUOTE]

Yeah, I was there around 1:30 or 2 and left around 4pm. I wrecked on teh small jump on the far side of the second quarry, there are two "gap" type jumps in the same type area. I ate it on the small one . I ruined my day before I got to screw around on the vortex stuff, but I did check out the new downhill type trail.

I didn't buy my bike from Mr. Goodbike, but I'm gonna go by there and see if they can get a new rear triangle or just the seat stay. I think I need new bearigs for the suspension anyway so I might try to get it all at once, if it's even possible to get the seat stay.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah I passed you on the old road into the Santos side quarry going towards the Vortex quarry. I was with my GF. Where is this new Dh type trail you're talking about? I didn't do any red trails because she was with me, she isn't too into that type of thing cause she just started riding. Sucks about your crash I know exactly where you're talking about.

You ever interested in getting together for a ride? I don't have class on Tuesday or Thursday and wish I had someone to ride with on those days.

As you might be able to tell I'm really bored, trying to force myself to do some statics homework that is due at 3...

Statics homework hmmm.....don't forget the FBD!!

Yeah, you passed by on the old shell rock road right? I was hurtin at the time and looking for the simplest way back to my car.

The downhill trail starts at the top of the big Vortex hill/mound. It heads north from the top area and ends past the vortex drop into the field. I only took one run but there are small jumps and little banked turns in the trail, with a bigger jump at the very end. If you have ever seen the guy on the silver/red older Kona Stinky out there, he said that they just built it over the past few days.

About riding, I've been getting out to San Felasco on Tuesdays after my one class but I have class on Thursdays. I usually get out there around 2:30 or so, but this week I have a meeting and I'm still really sore so I won't be riding. I'll PM you about riding next week if I'm feeling a bit better.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Cool, good luck with your bike and heal up.

Later

Ryan

Pictures of the damage

Here are some pictures I got with my crappy webcam. I'm ordering a new chainstay piece from Kona through their "Pilot error" program where I get a discount or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just roll it......

Yeah, that looks pretty bad.

If it were that big on a downtube or something, I woldn't worry about it. Since it's that large on the seatstay, I'd replace it. As far as your rotor and derailleur goes, I'd check to see if the rotor was bent in the crash and the derailleur hanger was bent. It could be a result of a bent rear triangle, but I'm gonna guess you just tweaked those in the crash.

EB