Question regarding size small Honzo and dropper post length- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Question regarding size small Honzo and dropper post length

Hi,

I'm hoping someone in my height range with a size small honzo and dropper post might be able to chime in here.

On my sb66, I use the 5" dropper and there is about an inch of space between the seat collar and the collar of my ks lev.

The sb66 has a 16.5" seat tube while the Honzo has a 15"

I am 5'7, would I benefit from a 6" dropper on the honzo? Or is 5" going to be plenty? Also, how much seat post can the seat tube take? The 6 inch dropper has a much longer insert, and if I am going 6 inch, the dropper will probably need to go all the way into the frame with just an inch or so of room between the frame collar and the dropper collar. I am wondering whether this would even be possible or worth it? I would like to use this bike on the pump track so having the seat slammed is nice, but 5" should still be fairly low, just seems like I might be able to swing the 6" in this case.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    not your size so I really do not know about the fit.

but on my 5 inch drop on my M when I pump track or DJ I just loosen the bolt and lower the seat. Since mine is external I must be careful to not use the dropper while in lower position.

What I am saying is that whatever you go with you can always just loose the seat and move it for non trail duty.

FYI rereading your post it sound like you would have more than enough room to run a 6 inch dropper. at least in a Reverb the length you need for 150 is only 420mm which will easily fit slammed in S honzo. not sure on the KS but I am pretty sure a Reverb would fit at 150mm stealth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    not your size so I really do not know about the fit.

but on my 5 inch drop on my M when I pump track or DJ I just loosen the bolt and lower the seat. Since mine is external I must be careful to not use the dropper while in lower position.

What I am saying is that whatever you go with you can always just loose the seat and move it for non trail duty.

FYI rereading your post it sound like you would have more than enough room to run a 6 inch dropper. at least in a Reverb the length you need for 150 is only 420mm which will easily fit slammed in S honzo. not sure on the KS but I am pretty sure a Reverb would fit at 150mm stealth.
    Thanks! Yea the setup requires lowering the seat more, then may as well go 6" drop. Just wasn't sure about a 400mm+ being able to fit all the way in the honzo. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue though!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Thanks! Yea the setup requires lowering the seat more, then may as well go 6" drop. Just wasn't sure about a 400mm+ being able to fit all the way in the honzo. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue though!
    wait.....

I have 2013 Honzo frame in front of me that has a longer seat tube. 2015 may be different as the stand over is lower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    wait.....

I have 2013 Honzo frame in front of me that has a longer seat tube. 2015 may be different as the stand over is lower.
    Yea just looking at the picture, I have a bit of trouble thinking that the 420mm would fit all the way into the size small down to the collar. The frame comes in this week, I will hold off on ordering until I get a better idea of how much room I have.

Rocks belong
    If I was 5'7" i'd be on a Medium. But that's just me. I'm 5' 9-7/8" and I ride a large frame.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    I think my small 2013 has an insertion of 196mm until the post bottoms out on the curve , iirc. It has the 2014 geo with a 15" seat tube. I have a 125mm drop reverb that is the 420mm length.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I think my small 2013 has an insertion of 196mm until the post bottoms out on the curve , iirc. It has the 2014 geo with a 15" seat tube. I have a 125mm drop reverb that is the 420mm length.
    Can you insert the 420mm reverb all the way into the seat tube as far as it will go? Or does the seat tube bottom out sooner?

mtbr member
    Let me check. 33mm from seatpost collar top to the bottom of the Reverb collar.

Question regarding size small Honzo and dropper post length-reverb.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Let me check. 33mm from seatpost collar top to the bottom of the Reverb collar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reverb.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	1002959
    Thanks so much for checking that!, looks like I'll want to go with the 6" as well