Cereal Killer

Proud new owner of...

An '05 Coiler. Well, in about a week, I'll have it. I'm so stoked about getting it. I was leaning more towards a hardtail bike, but after talking to the guys at my lbs, I think this will be a ton more fun! I've always had a hard tail, and it would just beat me up. I almost got a Trek Fuel EX 7, but after reading on the Trek forum, I'm glad I didn't. Too many frames breaking. At 235#, I probably would have broken the frame within 2 months. Plus, it will probably be a good workout for me getting it up a long trail, and it will be a blast going down! I've never had a freeride bike, so this will be a first for me. Any inputs on some upgrades I can do would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike! My 05 Coiler came into my LBS yesterday. I'm going there tonight to see it. I can't wait. I know what your saying about the hardtail. I've always had a hardtail it really beat me up too.

As far as upgrades, I'm changing the big chain ring to a bash guard on mine right a way. I'll probably change the rear shock next year to a Fox DHX or Manitou Swinger. And as others things wear out I will upgrade.

Just roll it......

Congrats. I think that's a great option for bigger guys.

For what it's worth, one of my best riding buddies is about your size (~230 lbs.) and rides an '02 Stinky (5" version) which is comparable to the Coilers. Anyway, prior to that, he was breaking frames or wearing various pieces out. He's had his bike over 2 years now, does hardly any maintenance to it and it's holding up great. Granted, he's finally starting to get a bit of slop in the rear, but that's easily remedied with new bearings (which he purchased a while ago and still hasn't put in).

It's easy for me to preach Kona's durability, but I'm only 155 lbs. so that often rings hollow for many people. When they see my buddy ride his Kona hard though, they start to figure it out. FWIW, I think you'll like this better than the Trek Fuel and it'll hold up much better. My girlfriend had an older Fuel and I think I would've snapped it in half. A buddy that is an aggro rider and wighs ~200 lbs. had a Fuel broke it twice and now has a Coiler....again, no issues now.

EB

Cereal Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    For what it's worth, one of my best riding buddies is about your size (~230 lbs.) and rides an '02 Stinky (5" version) which is comparable to the Coilers. Anyway, prior to that, he was breaking frames or wearing various pieces out. He's had his bike over 2 years now, does hardly any maintenance to it and it's holding up great. Granted, he's finally starting to get a bit of slop in the rear, but that's easily remedied with new bearings (which he purchased a while ago and still hasn't put in).

It's easy for me to preach Kona's durability, but I'm only 155 lbs. so that often rings hollow for many people. When they see my buddy ride his Kona hard though, they start to figure it out. FWIW, I think you'll like this better than the Trek Fuel and it'll hold up much better. My girlfriend had an older Fuel and I think I would've snapped it in half. A buddy that is an aggro rider and wighs ~200 lbs. had a Fuel broke it twice and now has a Coiler....again, no issues now.

EB
    Well, that's very good to hear. I know I'll be happy with it. I feel a lot more at ease with this than I was with the Fuel. I can't wait until it gets a little warmer to go out and try it. Right now it's only 20 deg, and a little bit of snow on the ground. Plus I haven't rode for about a year, so I want to take it easy for now. But come spring time, I'll be tearin up the trails with the best of them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chadmeeh
    An '05 Coiler. Well, in about a week, I'll have it. I'm so stoked about getting it. I was leaning more towards a hardtail bike, but after talking to the guys at my lbs, I think this will be a ton more fun! I've always had a hard tail, and it would just beat me up. I almost got a Trek Fuel EX 7, but after reading on the Trek forum, I'm glad I didn't. Too many frames breaking. At 235#, I probably would have broken the frame within 2 months. Plus, it will probably be a good workout for me getting it up a long trail, and it will be a blast going down! I've never had a freeride bike, so this will be a first for me. Any inputs on some upgrades I can do would be appreciated.
    Don't necessarily think you have to upgrad anything. Ride it and if everything suits you, then just go with it and enjoy the bike.