Process 111/111 DL Thread - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,366 of 1366
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Anyone running a 51mm offset 140mm fork on their 111?? Thoughts/feedback??

Possibly in the hunt for a new mule in a few months & there are a few '16 111's around for reasonable coin.

Use to own a '14 134 & am feeling the retro vibe i.e. seriously looking at a 111.

What's the rear tyre clearance like again?

From memory, there wasn't a lot of room out back on the 134 e.g. Trail King 2.4 wouldn't fit (61mm wide if I'm correct)

'Born to ride!'
    There's a few people running 140mm on the 111 but thats mostly on gravity oriented trails. I wouldn't want to do any technical climbs or xc type stuff with that configuration. With all the combinations ive tried on the two 111s ive owned, a 130mm fork with 40mm offset has felt the best. I'm sure a 42mm offset would be fine as well.

Posted a couple pages back about the differences between older and newer 111s but basically the 2014-2015 have more rear tire clearance than the 16s. A 2.35 schwalbe nobby nic rubs at anything over 25 psi on my 30mm internal wheels. The 2014 could fit a shaved 2.6 (2.5 after trim) with about the same clearance. A 2.3 maxxis will fit on either without issue as maxxis run small and schwalbe run true/larger than advertised.

HTH and good luck with your search

M
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    There's less tyre clearance on a '16 vs a '14-'15!?

What were they (Kona) thinking!? (trying to get weight down, probably)

Coming spec'd w/ a 2.25 Ardent should have been an alarm bell.

This could be a deal breaker :mmm:

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    There's less tyre clearance on a '16 vs a '14-'15!?

What were they (Kona) thinking!? (trying to get weight down, probably)

Coming spec'd w/ a 2.25 Ardent should have been an alarm bell.

This could be a deal breaker :mmm:

'Born to ride!'
    Yes, on the 16s they reduced the weight by about 1/2 pound with redesigned chainstays and seat tube. FWIW, my nobby nics measure 2.44 on 30mm internal rims.

You'll have plenty of room for a regular 2.3 or you can just get a 14-15 frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Yes, on the 16s they reduced the weight by about 1/2 pound with redesigned chainstays and seat tube. FWIW, my nobby nics measure 2.44 on 30mm internal rims.

You'll have plenty of room for a regular 2.3 or you can just get a 14-15 frame
    Do you think 60mm width tyre will fit?

Although...?? The 15x100 & 142x12 spacings are the same as my current mule.

My current wheels are narrower than the 29mm ID that come on the '16 111.

I could interchange wheels. Which means my current batch of rear tires might fit (refer 60mm ID question above).

Plus, I've been hankering for wider wheels on my AM HT 29er & the 111 would help there.

Fingers X it all works out...

'Born to ride!'
    Last edited by targnik; 06-25-2018 at 02:50 AM.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hey guys haven't been on here for a bit. Gonna be posting my 2017 medium up for sale. Complete or will sell frame and part the rest. Great shape, just starting another project. Bike has pike set stock, just had lower service. New roval wheelset a bit lighter than stock without switching to carbon. Direct message any questions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was running a 140/51 on my 2017 frame. To me it felt pretty good, so I just left it on there for most of the year. This year I tried a 120/51 (from another bike), and felt it improved the bike immensely, so much so that I just bought one to put on full time. To me, the bike became whatever everyone was raving about. I am, however, more of an xc type rider, and mostly ride in tight river valley trails. Itís funny, I had the same experience with my Honzo - 140 felt pretty good, but the 120 just made the bike come alive. Thereís so many people riding both lengths, with good things to say, I think it really comes down to your riding style and your local trails.

Anyone running a 51mm offset 140mm fork on their 111?? Thoughts/feedback??

Possibly in the hunt for a new mule in a few months & there are a few '16 111's around for reasonable coin.

Use to own a '14 134 & am feeling the retro vibe i.e. seriously looking at a 111.

What's the rear tyre clearance like again?

From memory, there wasn't a lot of room out back on the 134 e.g. Trail King 2.4 wouldn't fit (61mm wide if I'm correct)

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Thereís so many people riding both lengths, with good things to say, I think it really comes down to your riding style and your local trails.

This

My honzo AL seems to work best for me with 120mm and 1* works headset. Will eventually change CSU to a 42mm.

The 111 is spot on with 130mm, 2* headset and 40mm CSU
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Finally got my 111 set up as I want. Fork at 120, Derby rims on King hubs, Fall Line post, Dampf and Razor. Really like riding this at 120 for my trails. Headed to BC next month - canít wait to try it out there.

Process 111/111 DL Thread-05281161-f3d5-484d-bcba-3a36b7c94423.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Bottle cage

For those of you who hate the bottle being below the down tube like me I've figured out a way to fit it inside the frame. I used a Two Fish cage adapter and a side mount bottle cage Savadeck off of Amazon. The rubber part of the Two Fish adapter fits over the lower cable mount to hold it in place. I may cut a slot in the rubber of the adapter to give it more stability, but it doesn't slide around. I'm using 24oz non-insulated bottle instead of the 25oz insulated bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RLJ8L6..._IArsBbY8FD26H

Process 111/111 DL Thread-20180713_170649.jpg
    Ride you must

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggzola View Post
    For those of you who hate the bottle being below the down tube like me I've figured out a way to fit it inside the frame. I used a Two Fish cage adapter and a side mount bottle cage Savadeck off of Amazon. The rubber part of the Two Fish adapter fits over the lower cable mount to hold it in place. I may cut a slot in the rubber of the adapter to give it more stability, but it doesn't slide around. I'm using 24oz non-insulated bottle instead of the 25oz insulated bottle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180713_170649.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1207986
    Your shock bolt seems to be a bit loose?
    • 2019 Banshee Spitfire
    • 2018 Chromag Stylus
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Holy cow! You're right. Just checked all my bolts and pivots. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I may have to try that bottle holder, the under down tube position hasn't been an issue in over 4 years of riding the frame, but for longer rides an extra bottle option would be nice.

What frame bag are you using and does it fill the space all the way to the head tube?

thanks-tom

mtbr member
    Finally got my 111 set up as I want. Fork at 120, Derby rims on King hubs, Fall Line post, Dampf and Razor. Really like riding this at 120 for my trails. Headed to BC next month - canít wait to try it out there.

Name:	05281161-F3D5-484D-BCBA-3A36B7C94423.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	1207977
    What are you thoughts on the DPX2 shock on the 111? Been thinking of doing this but wanted to hear some feedback before spending the money.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Itís a big improvement over the stock. Pedals better - firmer, even when fully open. Takes a while to get it set up right - fair bit of experimentation with pressure before you find the sweet spot. I donít have a ton of time on it, and not much riding with long descents, where I think it will shine. Heading on a trip next month, so Iíll get an even better sense of its performance then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Itís a big improvement over the stock. Pedals better - firmer, even when fully open. Takes a while to get it set up right - fair bit of experimentation with pressure before you find the sweet spot. I donít have a ton of time on it, and not much riding with long descents, where I think it will shine. Heading on a trip next month, so Iíll get an even better sense of its performance then.
    Nice looking bike! Also on the fox shock.. Do you think or has anyone tried the other model without the piggyback? I'm still debating but very much leaning toward keeping my p111.. Honestly its really hard to beat. So ordering a 1 degree angleset this week and possibly after Pisgah enduro considering a shock..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I talked to the guys at Suspensionwerx (Vancouver, where I bought it) and they said both the DPS and the DPX2 would be good choices, with the X2 a little better on longer descents, plus a little more adjustability. Itís probably a little overkill for most of the riding I do, but the price difference wasnít too big, so I figured what the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Straydawg View Post
    Nice looking bike! Also on the fox shock.. Do you think or has anyone tried the other model without the piggyback? I'm still debating but very much leaning toward keeping my p111.. Honestly its really hard to beat. So ordering a 1 degree angleset this week and possibly after Pisgah enduro considering a shock..

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I talked to the guys at Suspensionwerx (Vancouver, where I bought it) and they said both the DPS and the DPX2 would be good choices, with the X2 a little better on longer descents, plus a little more adjustability. Itís probably a little overkill for most of the riding I do, but the price difference wasnít too big, so I figured what the hell.
    Did you get the medium/medium tune on the shock? I'm going to be ordering the new headset today and try 1 degree. But looking at the shock even tho I don't have that many really long dh sections.. Going to try some enduros and riding more in pisgah and brown county. It may be worth it to go ahead and get the dpx2? Or possibly a bit longer travel bike? However I really hardly ever bottom either end of the P111.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    I may have to try that bottle holder, the under down tube position hasn't been an issue in over 4 years of riding the frame, but for longer rides an extra bottle option would be nice.

What frame bag are you using and does it fill the space all the way to the head tube?

thanks-tom
    The frame bag is the Blackburn Outpost. fits great and fills the frame all the way to the head tube. http://a.co/8vVk7HZ
    Ride you must

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes, Suspensionwerx recommended the med/med tune for the 111, and also installed a .2 spacer based on my weight (around 190-200).

Did you get the medium/medium tune on the shock? I'm going to be ordering the new headset today and try 1 degree. But looking at the shock even tho I don't have that many really long dh sections.. Going to try some enduros and riding more in pisgah and brown county. It may be worth it to go ahead and get the dpx2? Or possibly a bit longer travel bike? However I really hardly ever bottom either end of the P111.

mtbr member
    I'd do a 2* works headset if it were me.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response. I liked what experience i had with the DPX2 when building up a sentinel for a buddy but wasn't sure how it would perform on the 111. Still up in the air whether to keep the 111 and add the shock or grab an 153 29 frame and go coil for big crap and a hei hei (gasp) as my trailbike.

Keep us posted!
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I looked at their site. I could not tell which to order. Is there a part number? I'm also in the same boat. At the shop I can get a great deal on a 19 stumpjumper comp alloy or carbon LT add the ST lower shock piece and a 130 air shaft to the fork and have 2 bikes in one...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hey Guys,

iam going to switich the AirCan on the Stock Monarch RT to a debonair Aircan. I have also ordered a set of bottomless rings to set the endprogression the of the shock.

Question for the people who are riding an debonair shock an the process, with how many rings to you have started ?

greetings from germany
    Adam

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I recently had the chance to demo a Stumpjumper LT. I really liked it - plush, comfortable, pedaled well. It felt a lot different than the Kona though, reach and stack definitely noticeable. What you are suggesting is a good idea, but to me the feel of the bikes is quite different.

I looked at their site. I could not tell which to order. Is there a part number? I'm also in the same boat. At the shop I can get a great deal on a 19 stumpjumper comp alloy or carbon LT add the ST lower shock piece and a 130 air shaft to the fork and have 2 bikes in one...

loud hubs save lives
    Youíd actually need the rocker AND a second rear shock.

The ST and LT have two different strokes and e2e measurements.

mtbr member
    2.0 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset. Order to the length of your headtube. I had a 1* and eventually went 2* with the shorter CSU. No climbing issues

The problem with trying to get a bike to be good at a lot of things, they usually aren't very good at anything.

If you like to bash, mod the 111. If you are looking for a pedally bike, look elsewhere.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggzola View Post

Name:	20180713_170649.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1207986
    I can't believe more people aren't freaking out about this. Just installed the same setup and it feels super solid. Can't wait to hit the trail hip-pack-free tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jabber127 View Post
    I can't believe more people aren't freaking out about this. Just installed the same setup and it feels super solid. Can't wait to hit the trail hip-pack-free tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
    Interested in hearing if the strap-on cage shifts around after some serious bumpage. It looks like there is enough room if running a Debonair can. I dig the frame bag too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can anyone confirm if the strap on cage has enough clearance for a small frame?

loud hubs save lives

Process 111/111 DL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    I tried that setup last year in my small frame and it didnít fit ... but that was with a standard cage. Iíll pull a side load off my road bike and try again

Seemed like the dropper cable was also in the way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    I tried that setup last year in my small frame and it didnít fit ... but that was with a standard cage. Iíll pull a side load off my road bike and try again

Seemed like the dropper cable was also in the way
    Yeah I'm working with a large '16. Hope it fits for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    Interested in hearing if the strap-on cage shifts around after some serious bumpage. It looks like there is enough room if running a Debonair can. I dig the frame bag too.
    I have a debonair and it fits just fine with a smaller bottle. I'm not worried about the cage shifting. I do worry about a side load cage though--those tend to eject bottles much easier than the alternative. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you their some tape on the bottle cage to pad it, then strap it with two Velcro straps it will make it more flush mount for a small frame.

I did this for a down tube solution on my bike and it works fine.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    2.0 Degree EC44-ZS56 Angle Headset. Order to the length of your headtube. I had a 1* and eventually went 2* with the shorter CSU. No climbing issues

The problem with trying to get a bike to be good at a lot of things, they usually aren't very good at anything.

If you like to bash, mod the 111. If you are looking for a pedally bike, look elsewhere.
    Your right. My friend from here Ken Dunn just gave me an xfusion 02 pro rcx that I'm throwing a seal kit in. Just ordered the 2* angleset and xt170mm cranks. Then I'm gonna just ride it. I confess I get new bike fever a lot..

mtbr member
    I confess I get new bike fever a lot..

I also suffer from that too
    greener pastures

loud hubs save lives

Process 111/111 DL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Iím going to say no for 2 reasons ... 1) i can hardly get a 16oz bottle in my small frame without a cage 2) i mustíve thrown that strap on mount away because i thought it was useless

I used it strapped to my top tube on a Pisgah trip and it definitely would end up sideways after a serious descent
    Last edited by sennaster; 07-18-2018 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Need some quick info. I just ordered a medium 2016 process 111 from Jenson. I need to know what overall length KS integra post it comes with. The geo is perfect for me but the seat tube length will be close and I may need a longer post. If someone has a stock 2016 complete I would love to know
    Thanks

mtbr member
    One more thing. How is the chainring to chainstay clearance? Will a 34tooth fit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yeah I'm working with a large '16. Hope it fits for you as well.

I have a debonair and it fits just fine with a smaller bottle. I'm not worried about the cage shifting. I do worry about a side load cage though--those tend to eject bottles much easier than the alternative. I'll report back.
    Sorry I should have stated my frame is large. I didn't even think about that being an issue.

Also, I have yet to try it out. Hopefully it won't slip around too much. As I stated there I have cut out a notch in the rubber mount to fit over the lowest cable holder on the frame. Hopefully that should prevent some side to side slipping.
    Ride you must

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I know! I was so stoked when it fit. I'm tired of digging dirt out of the top of my bottle to get a drink.
    Ride you must

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    One more thing. How is the chainring to chainstay clearance? Will a 34tooth fit?
    34 fit on mine if I put a spacer on the chainring side of the frame. 32 probably the best option for big chainring tho to keep the chain line correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not overly fast, not slow, kinda halfast

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    How long did it take for works angleset to get to you? Just trying to plan my orders..

mtbr member
    How long did it take for works angleset to get to you? Just trying to plan my orders..
    Under 2 weeks as I recall. Bought several headsets and chainrings and can say Works is awesome to buy from. Good customer service and solid products

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hoping I can get some advice. I've been riding a couple years and am ready for my first serious upgrade. I'm strongly considering the 111DL that Jenson is closing out. Some others I'm considering are the Fuel EX 7 and Stache 7. Both of which (at full price) are at about the same point as the Process at discount.

The terrain I'm riding regularly ranges from really flowy and fast to mildly technical and very rocky with 500-1k ft elevation gain on a 5-10 mile ride. I'm planning on venturing out to some regional trails as well - including those in NW Arkansas. I'm currently on a hardtail with a coil shock. I'm ready to move on.

I love the idea of the Process because of the stellar things I've read. Its also exciting to be able to get a bike I'd normally never be able to afford at the same price as the others. I have a couple concerns...

1) No opportunity for a test ride. Never seen one locally.
    2) Its probably "too much bike" for what I'm doing. -but does that matter if the price is right?
    3) Its a 2016. Is the technology comparable to that of the 2018 model Treks I mentioned or will I be itching to upgrade in a few months?

I welcome any advice (or sarcastic remarks) on the above. I'd also like to hear any other suggestions you may have for a FS at roughly $2500.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmstl View Post
    Hoping I can get some advice. I've been riding a couple years and am ready for my first serious upgrade. I'm strongly considering the 111DL that Jenson is closing out. Some others I'm considering are the Fuel EX 7 and Stache 7. Both of which (at full price) are at about the same point as the Process at discount.

The terrain I'm riding regularly ranges from really flowy and fast to mildly technical and very rocky with 500-1k ft elevation gain on a 5-10 mile ride. I'm planning on venturing out to some regional trails as well - including those in NW Arkansas. I'm currently on a hardtail with a coil shock. I'm ready to move on.

I love the idea of the Process because of the stellar things I've read. Its also exciting to be able to get a bike I'd normally never be able to afford at the same price as the others. I have a couple concerns...

2) Its probably "too much bike" for what I'm doing. -but does that matter if the price is right?
    3) Its a 2016. Is the technology comparable to that of the 2018 model Treks I mentioned or will I be itching to upgrade in a few months?

I welcome any advice (or sarcastic remarks) on the above. I'd also like to hear any other suggestions you may have for a FS at roughly $2500.
    Had the Ď16 111DL. Great bike. Got it from Jenson. It was easily more bike than I needed, but I figured if it was more than my skill level, at least I wouldnít be doing nuttier stuff than my bike was designed for.

I ride mostly south FL single tracks which are full of roots and mud with some float parts. Not a lot of climbing.

Recently went with the Ď17 Niner Rip9 frame thatís around same price (think they have it currently paired with Lyrik fork for 1299). Really liked the way it looked and what Iíd read about the frame.

Around same trails, I actually like the Niner better. Wanted to pair something with the DVO Diamond fork I bought, as well as wanted something with a few more shock options (wasnít hugest fan of stock shock).

Today, took the Niner on some nice flowing and technical downhills around Greek Peak in NY state. So totally happy with the bike. Might consider it if you havenít before...

mtbr member

Ive had a buttload of bikes, particularly kona. 2 process 111s included, so ill chime in with my usual BS.

A 2016 will be fine but the 2017 is a better buy as it is pretty much the high water mark for process 111 frames. They stretched the geo enough that theres no need to upsize like i had to on my 2014 & 2016s. I've also had both my 111s all over bentonville and mt kessler including coler park and never felt over or under biked. Sure i had to flip the climb switch on the kessler fire road, and i didnt go off the big drops on coler but the bike is good enough for most mortals. FWIW, my buddy rented a trek fuel from fat tire and it was an absolute dog. He gave it back the same day and rode the rest of the weekend on my honzo instead.

If you spend more time climbing/pedaling than bombing, consider a hei hei 29. If you like to go fast, 111 all the way.

Grab one of these while you can:
    https://centrecitycycles.com/product...a-process-111/

HTH-MArcus
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you both!

Th3Bill:
    Great info. I haven't looked into a Niner yet. I'll add it to the list and see if I can track down a demo.

ATXZJ: After browsing this thread I was hoping you'd chime in. I was definitely thinking about the Hei Hei as well. I think thats honestly probably a better choice. Regarding your friends rental bike, was it a Top Fuel OR Fuel EX - just want to make sure we're on the same page.

mtbr member
    Thank you both!

Th3Bill:
    Great info. I haven't looked into a Niner yet. I'll add it to the list and see if I can track down a demo.

ATXZJ: After browsing this thread I was hoping you'd chime in. I was definitely thinking about the Hei Hei as well. I think thats honestly probably a better choice. Regarding your friends rental bike, was it a Top Fuel OR Fuel EX - just want to make sure we're on the same page.
    Thanks, ill do what i can

Not to disparage niner, but theyve had some pretty serious financial issues the last couple of years, and dealers are dropping them as a result. There are a lot of other options out there for less money from brands that'll be around for quite a while. Santa Cruz Tallboy would be the first one id consider as an option outside of kona.

I believe it was a fuel EX but i do know it was 130-140mm 27.5+ carbon that fought you every time you tried to leave the ground. I thought he was exaggerating, until i rode it myself. YMMV though.

What hei hei are you looking at? Aluminum or carbon? There are a couple good deals on 2017 carbons out there and you can definitely find some bargains on aluminum. Dont buy used hei heis as they have flexy stays and will not have a warranty in the event of failure. You can buy used process 111s without worry and used santa cruz as well.

This far along in the season should get you a MINIMUM 20% off sticker price. Accept nothing else, especially on a leftover kona. I bought my wifes new carbon $2.5k hei hei 29dl frame for $1550 delivered.

Im waiting till the 2019 konas drop so i can grab a 2018 hei hei carbon frame and build it up as a replacement for my honzo for local XC trails.

BTW (if) you have the money to spend, the new intense sniper is also a killer rig.

https://intensecycles.com/collections/intense-sniper

https://centrecitycycles.com/product...na-hei-hei-dl/

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/tallboy
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Not to disparage niner, but theyve had some pretty serious financial issues the last couple of years, and dealers are dropping them as a result. There are a lot of other options out there for less money from brands that'll be a round for quite a while. Santa Cruz Tallboy would be the first one id consider as an option.
    I agree with ya there. Niner hasnít been doing so well $ wise. I certainly wouldnít buy carbon from em, as chance that theyíll be there for warranty need may be null. Itís too bad, as they did a nice job on the Ď17 Rip and included a headset (first Iíve had come with a frame).

Hell, Iím gonna get a bunch of spares for the bearings for the suspension parts for mine just in case they fold.

I wish I lived in an area with a decent amount of demo stuff available. All we have near me is Cannondale, Trek, and Specialized dealerships n those bikes just got stupid expensive before you even get decent parts on em. Combine that with no shops in areas near trails and youíre stuck with testing bike in parking lot. LoL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Bill View Post
    I agree with ya there. Niner hasnít been doing so well $ wise. I certainly wouldnít buy carbon from em, as chance that theyíll be there for warranty need may be null. Itís too bad, as they did a nice job on the Ď17 Rip and included a headset (first Iíve had come with a frame).

Hell, Iím gonna get a bunch of spares for the bearings for the suspension parts for mine just in case they fold.

I wish I lived in an area with a decent amount of demo stuff available. All we have near me is Cannondale, Trek, and Specialized dealerships n those bikes just got stupid expensive before you even get decent parts on em. Combine that with no shops in areas near trails and youíre stuck with testing bike in parking lot. LoL

Those are tough choices for sure. In the end, id probably do what you did and just buy the niner rather than be seen on a cannondale, specialized or trek.

Sad thing about niner is they started out strong and really led the way on 29er development. Somewhere they got married to that suspension design and ended up with a convoluted product line that didn't make much sense. In my less than educated opinion, if they would have stuck with perfecting their XC and trail bikes and gone direct sales, they'd been a lot better off. Niners roots were really in xc racing. 5-10 years ago there were a TON of them at the local races.

Have a good one!
    Marcus
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks, ill do what i can

What hei hei are you looking at? Aluminum or carbon? There are a couple good deals on 2017 carbons out there and you can definitely find some bargains on aluminum. Dont buy used hei heis as they have flexy stays and will not have a warranty in the event of failure. You can buy used process 111s without worry and used santa cruz as well.

This far along in the season should get you a MINIMUM 20% off sticker price. Accept nothing else, especially on a leftover kona. I bought my wifes new carbon $2.5k hei hei 29dl frame for $1550 delivered.

Im waiting till the 2019 konas drop so i can grab a 2018 hei hei carbon frame and build it up as a replacement for my honzo for local XC trails.
    I was looking at the 2017 Hei Hei thats also on Jenson https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Hei-Hei-Trail-Bike-2017

That Intense is pretty sick, but probably a little beyond my budget. We just had a new shop open up that has some in stock so I'll check them out.

I really like that Tallboy. For some reason I always thought I was priced out of Santa Cruz, but I could swing that. Beyond local shops (assuming they have inventory), where could I look to find a deal? Having started on a Trek, I've grown accustomed to frequenting Trek dealers and just buying parts on Jenson. Not too familiar with other resources.

While I'm asking questions - what are your thoughts on the YT Jeffsy AL 29? Seems to be priced about the same as the Tallboy base model and spec'd higher.

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/1928

mtbr member
    I was looking at the 2017 Hei Hei thats also on Jenson https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Hei-Hei-Trail-Bike-2017

That Intense is pretty sick, but probably a little beyond my budget. We just had a new shop open up that has some in stock so I'll check them out.

I really like that Tallboy. For some reason I always thought I was priced out of Santa Cruz, but I could swing that. Beyond local shops (assuming they have inventory), where could I look to find a deal? Having started on a Trek, I've grown accustomed to frequenting Trek dealers and just buying parts on Jenson. Not too familiar with other resources.

While I'm asking questions - what are your thoughts on the YT Jeffsy AL 29? Seems to be priced about the same as the Tallboy base model and spec'd higher.

the hei hei on jenson is a 27.5. for trail/xc i prefer 29. thats just me though

no worries on the intense, it was a shot in the dark.

Tallboy is a great bike for the money and will have much higher resale than other brands, so that makes up for the price. Cambria, The path bike shop, steep and cheap(backcountry) are usually the best deals on santa cruz. Dont rule out the pinkbike classifieds for a used aluminum 2017+ TB.

The jeffsey is a nice rig but might not be the best choice if you thought the 111 was overkill.

This devinci would be worth considering if youre looking to ball on a budget. NIce rig for the money.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Devinci-Ma...9-XT-Bike-2018

Bible review of 27.5+ version (also filmed in AR)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0MI_m4j9r4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQnuanqEIE
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have been on my 15' 111 for the past 2 seasons. Before the 111 I had a Tuner Sultan that was a stellar climber & quite efficient. My first impressions, of the 111, was it felt more like a 27.5er on climbs possibly due to the slackness & short chain stays. Pointed down it is a blast to tool around on. If the trials are more XC / trail w/ a lot of climbing I can think of lighter more efficient rigs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

I have a 15, great bike. Its just enough to do most anything short of Red Bull but not so much that it gets in the way of XC and even fun on gravel roads. On the bigger hits you do notice the shorter travel, but unless its just constant not a big deal but I am a big guy. My 15 is overbuilt a bit, I think the 17's went lighter and may not be as robust. I also have a YT Jeffsy 27 for when I want more suspension (mostly just for fun) and a 29+ hardtail for days when its nasty out. The 111 fits nicely between those and if I could have only one, it would probably be it.

mtbr member
    If anyone is interested I have my 111 frame for sale. Heres a link if its allowed

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2425517/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasqual Tonzola View Post
    If anyone is interested I have my 111 frame for sale. Heres a link if its allowed

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2425517/
    good luck. i sold my 2016 large for 1075.00 on PB with free shipping and it was almost perfect. you should get your asking price
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Under 2 weeks as I recall. Bought several headsets and chainrings and can say Works is awesome to buy from. Good customer service and solid products
    Hey Marcus, installed the 2* and love it. Thanks as always for the advice. Would have done this mod 1st had I known. I'm running the 2017 at stock 130mm fork height and now running the xfusion 02 pro shock. What sag settings are you guys running?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Hey Marcus, installed the 2* and love it. Thanks as always for the advice. Would have done this mod 1st had I known. I'm running the 2017 at stock 130mm fork height and now running the xfusion 02 pro shock. What sag settings are you guys running?

Thanks
    No worries! 2*/130mm was great combo. The shorter CSU offset also made a big difference.

Sag is up to you. Usually around 25% for my old 111.

This video is always a great help for suspension basics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnKTZu2AKs
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just took possession of a 2016 Process 111 DL frame. My first FS. Have some of the parts for the build but will begin the process of procuring the rest. I'll post up pics when finished.
    01 StumpJumper Pro
    12 Unit SS
    14 El Mariachi SS
    08 Unit 2-9 (Frame)
    16 Process 111 DL (Frame)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra007 View Post
    Just took possession of a 2016 Process 111 DL frame. My first FS. Have some of the parts for the build but will begin the process of procuring the rest. I'll post up pics when finished.
    Congrats and GL with build
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Update on my 2016 DL build.

Riding the 111 pretty hard exclusively for the last month or so. Loving it right up until it developed a chirp. Tore it down twice trying to figure out where it was coming from. Every time the rear suspension would take a a quick hit it would chirp. Turns out the Cane Creek DB Inline that was performing so well gave up the ghost. Canít really justify $225 to rebuild it so I picked up a Fox Factory DPS EVOL shock Kashima coated. Should have it next week and will report back on how it rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If anyone is looking for a great upgrade to their 111 Iím selling my Fox DPX2 factory kashima and works-2 degree headset. All installed at the start of the season and in perfect condition. Thanks

mtbr member
    How much are you looking to get for the headset? Where are you located?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasqual Tonzola View Post
    Update on my 2016 DL build.

Riding the 111 pretty hard exclusively for the last month or so. Loving it right up until it developed a chirp. Tore it down twice trying to figure out where it was coming from. Every time the rear suspension would take a a quick hit it would chirp. Turns out the Cane Creek DB Inline that was performing so well gave up the ghost. Canít really justify $225 to rebuild it so I picked up a Fox Factory DPS EVOL shock Kashima coated. Should have it next week and will report back on how it rides.
    2016 Process stay pivots came stock with plastic bushings that developed creaks. Kona has metal replacements that you can get through your LBS.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Troysks View Post
    If anyone is looking for a great upgrade to their 111 Iím selling my Fox DPX2 factory kashima and works-2 degree headset. All installed at the start of the season and in perfect condition. Thanks
    Still have the Works headset? How much?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Rob (aka Stray Dawg) and I were talking the other day about angle bearings and how it dropped the BB a bit, which I don't really want (pedal strikes). My fork goes out to 140 (set at 130 now) and was wondering if anyone has compensated for the drop with longer travel and what was the result? I'm on a 15 XL if that matters. I thought 68 was a good all around angle....until I rode the Process 153.... I liked that wheel stuck out there!

mtbr member
    Ran a 2* on my L 2016 111 with 130mm of fork travel and a 40mm offset steerer. This was also using 175mm cranks and DMR vault pedals. As i recall the BB height was around 13.5" +/- and was completely manageable in the rock city tech we have here in austin, and I mean lots of rocks. My 2016 honzo had 120mm with 1*, 51mm offset, 170mm cranks and same DMRs. The BB height was under 12" and was also manageable.

If you ride lots of gravity trails, id say go for the 140mm but i wouldnt do a 140mm and 2* angleset without changing the steerer and bringing the front wheel in a bit. One of the nice things about the 2* is it steepens the STA a degree or so and puts your weight a little forward. My rule of thumb is a 20mm max difference between F&R travel. Thats just me though.
    greener pastures

loud hubs save lives
    I have ( had ) my 111 with 1* angleset and 130mm pike and thought that handled well. I rarely had a pedal strike and mostly ride in rocky/rooty east coast trails. HA was 66.5

I also ran a 140 briefly ( no angleset ) and did not like it. Thought it felt awkward everywhere except descending in Pisgah NF.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If anyone is breaking down their 14-15-??? and come up with a 27.2 dropper they need rid of let me know. Would really like internal with 125mm of drop. Actually, with my XL, 150 would be nice, but I think that is a unicorn....

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    27.2? Pretty sure that my Ď14 uses a 31.6 post, but now you got me wondering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    27.2? Pretty sure that my Ď14 uses a 31.6 post, but now you got me wondering.
    It may have, I thought the 14's and 15's were identical other than BNG

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Don't know what BNG is, but my wife's '14 111 DL model has a 31.6 dropper, as well as my '14 153. I have a 150mm Fox Transfer on my 153 with about 35-40mm of lower post sticking up. I may look to change hers as well because when I ride it with the stock 125mm KS Lev Integra, it is still too high.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Don't know what BNG is, but my wife's '14 111 DL model has a 31.6 dropper, as well as my '14 153. I have a 150mm Fox Transfer on my 153 with about 35-40mm of lower post sticking up. I may look to change hers as well because when I ride it with the stock 125mm KS Lev Integra, it is still too high.
    Bold new graphics, I guess I'm showing my age, back in the days of printed magazines that was kind of a running joke when they introduced a new motorcycle that was the same as the last year's and all they could give you was "bold new graphics"

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I bought a 150 Brand X dropper that I havenít gotten around to installing yet. Will report back but both of our frames are Med and 150 fits so you should
    be fine. If you want to buy the 125 KS Lev Integra and live in the US, let me know

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I bought a 150 Brand X dropper that I havenít gotten around to installing yet. Will report back but both of our frames are Med and 150 fits so you should
    be fine. If you want to buy the 125 KS Lev Integra and live in the US, let me know
    The frames must be different because mine is certainly a 27.2, one of the few things I really don't like about the bike. I put a Brand X on my YT (didn't like the E13 at all, it only had 4 positions and never hit the right one. I know some people like, but I don't know how) and it works great, just go ahead and throw the included lever away, its useless if its the same one that came with mine and use what you have one the KS. I've even made an old 2 speed front shifter work for dropper lever and it did fine, much better than the Brand X.

mtbr member
    all are 31.6
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If someone bushinged mine out amd I never noticed ill be so relieved....and pissed. Not home now, will check in a couple of hours

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yep, the original owner had a spacer in there for a 27.2. I love the bike, but he did me pretty dirty. He had the wrong size shock on it, an 8 speed RD (I don't know how it shifted, but it did OK during the test ride, I was going to change it anyways). Oh well, I have another dropper on the way, glad you guys told me.

dressed to play

Added some carbon

Picked up some Mavic XA Pro carbon wheels at a hefty discount to make the bike a bit nippier on the climbs. Using a Vittoria airliner in the rear to protect the gorgeous rim.
    Process 111/111 DL Thread-process-xa-carbon-2-.jpg
    With the winter approaching hard and fast in the UK I have mostly been riding this though. Also with some added carbon though.
    Process 111/111 DL Thread-stooge-c-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's my 2017 Process 111, size Medium! DPX2 upgrade. Pike @ 140mm. Light Bicycle Carbon rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs. Absolutely rocket and trail destroyer.

The DPX2 absolutely transformed the bike. The stock shock really doesn't do it justice. Stays higher in the travel and is much more composed over the rough stuff. Being able to dial in the compression on the DPX2 is a huge benefit for dialing it in for trail riding vs. jumping, etc. I like a bit more compression on jumps.

Also happens to be for sale if anyone is interested...only selling as I got a Transition Sentinel for my main rig, and want to get a Transition Scout as a "slopeduro" bike.

Process 111 absolutely rips, but tougher to get into smaller transitions on tighter jump trails. Also my GF ends up riding this Process a lot, and at 5'6"ish and as a beginner rider I think the 29'er wheels are a bit much. But mainly the switch is for me

If anyone wants to buy or trade for a 2018 SBG Scout....let me know!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-p5pb16662880.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That bike is a looker. Something about the black chainstays that I really
    like on the G1 bikes. And that Nalgene is like the only
    bottle that works with that line of frames LOL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That bike is a looker. Something about the black chainstays that I really
    like on the G1 bikes. And that Nalgene is like the only
    bottle that works with that line of frames LOL.
    Haha, yeah I do love the bike. And yes, the lid on the Nalgene keeps me from getting those "fiber overloads" from dirt water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daway View Post
    Here's my 2017 Process 111, size Medium! DPX2 upgrade. Pike @ 140mm. Light Bicycle Carbon rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs. Absolutely rocket and trail destroyer.

The DPX2 absolutely transformed the bike. The stock shock really doesn't do it justice. Stays higher in the travel and is much more composed over the rough stuff. Being able to dial in the compression on the DPX2 is a huge benefit for dialing it in for trail riding vs. jumping, etc. I like a bit more compression on jumps.

Also happens to be for sale if anyone is interested...only selling as I got a Transition Sentinel for my main rig, and want to get a Transition Scout as a "slopeduro" bike.

Process 111 absolutely rips, but tougher to get into smaller transitions on tighter jump trails. Also my GF ends up riding this Process a lot, and at 5'6"ish and as a beginner rider I think the 29'er wheels are a bit much. But mainly the switch is for me

If anyone wants to buy or trade for a 2018 SBG Scout....let me know!

Looks good man! Built a sentinel and made me a SBG convert for sure
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Was out riding my bikes side by side the other day.....since I bought my 15 111 I have added a new 17 Jeffsy 27 and an 18 Enduro Elite. Sure the YT handles quick as a cat and the Specialized is amazing pointed downhill, but all and all the 111 is still an amazing all around bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    For my 111 i just bought a pair of btlos carbon wheelset and replaced the cane creek DB Air IL with a manitou mcleod.

Going to lose the awesome climb switch from cane creek but i should Boost downhill performance for long descents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Iíve been riding my 2016 Process 111 DL for the last year. Amazing bike for my chunky New England trails. Iím sending my shock and fork to the LBS soon for an annual overhaul. My fork is a 2018 RS Revelation set at 120. I have no complaints regarding fork performance or travel-great fork for my needs. But, should I consider bumping the travel up to 130mm? Is it noticeably better? Slower steering at 130 vs 120? Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    But, should I consider bumping the travel up to 130mm? Is it noticeably better? Slower steering at 130 vs 120? Thanks for the input.
    Yes. Yes. No.
    Commencal Meta TR 29 British Ed. // Commencal Absolut

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Iíve been riding my 2016 Process 111 DL for the last year. Amazing bike for my chunky New England trails. Iím sending my shock and fork to the LBS soon for an annual overhaul. My fork is a 2018 RS Revelation set at 120. I have no complaints regarding fork performance or travel-great fork for my needs. But, should I consider bumping the travel up to 130mm? Is it noticeably better? Slower steering at 130 vs 120? Thanks for the input.
    I agree with Jabber. I ran a 130 fork on New England trails and really liked how the bike handled. While I can't compare to a 120, I can tell you that a 130 will still be very agile with the benefits of more travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have a 140mm travel Pike on my wife's bike that mates well with the Debonair can upgrade on the shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Awesome reply. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just what I was looking for. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've got a 2014 and have run 120, 130, and 140. Prefer 130, for me 140 felt a bit floppy on steep climbs (co front range). Nice on the decent though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    I've got a 2014 and have run 120, 130, and 140. Prefer 130, for me 140 felt a bit floppy on steep climbs (co front range). Nice on the decent though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    FWIW, consistent feedback like this is why I chose 130 when building my bike. Almost everyone agreed that 130 was the sweet spot between more travel and handling. At 130 you need to weight the front end a bit on climbs and keep some momentum to keep the bike from wandering. Nothing that was an issue after a couple of rides. For the vast majority of reviews that I read, people thought that 140 was unmanageable.

mtbr member

My favorite combination was 130mm 2* works headset and a 40mm offset CSU. I dont think you can go wrong with the 130mm.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My favorite combination was 130mm 2* works headset and a 40mm offset CSU. I dont think you can go wrong with the 130mm.
    Super appreciate the response - thanks! Yup, I'm bumping the Revelation up to 130mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Super appreciate the response - thanks! IYup, I'm bumping the Revelation up to 130mm.
    Confirmed. 130 mm is awesome! Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Update: BTLOS carbon wheels, manitou mcleod that replaced the DB Air IL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davideb87 View Post
    Update: BTLOS carbon wheels, manitou mcleod that replaced the DB Air IL.
    Nice! What are your thoughts on the mcleod? I have a buddy that swears by them.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My bike came with the monarch rt3, very good for pedalling but for descents i didn't like it. Middle position was harsh, in the open position it blows through travel.
    Then i switched to cane creek db air IL, very good pedal platform, many possibile settings and it was very good for descents.
    Then i lost the climb switch, it needed service but the service cost was very High and i couldn't work on it at home.

So i was able to sell it and bought a 190x50 mcleod. Installed 6 mm teflon spacers to make it 184x44 and was immediatly better that the cane creek.
    Very plush, very supportive, doesn't need to be locked because on IPA setting 2 it doesn't bob but still good for DH.
    I was sure of the result because i already have one on my knolly warden, it works very well and it's easy to service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I love my P111, but came across a deal I couldn't refuse on a longer travel bike. In a way its a bit much (18 Specialized Enduro Elite), but its so much fun when pointed downhill!!! ANyways, the Kona is more my heavy XC, light trail bike now and I still ride it a fair amount, but I am thinking about sending it out and leaving it in Durango with a friend so I can just hop on a plane a few times a year and not have to rent (that gets expensive) or ship (lots of work). I know the Enduro would be a better bike for CO and UT, but would I be happy riding the short travel of the 111 say on Monarch Crest or The Whole Enchilada? I know I should send the Elite to CO, but its new and I want it here with me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Greetings from Germany....

want to show you my 111 with a 130mm Pike and a CaneCreek DB Air CS.
    I've got a great Deal on a 190x50mm CCDB (299Ä) and had to try it. It needed a bit tweeking but i figured it out.

1. It was not an "opend end" Version of the shock so i had ream the 14,7 eye to 15H7 to make it fit into the 111.

2. I made some 19x8 Offset Bushings to shorten the eye-to-eye length. This delivers 1,8mm shorter length.

3. I've shortend the travel of the shock by 3mm to accomplish the same static riding hight with 30% of sag.

Process 111/111 DL Thread-2359302-vd6boyznjo2l-picsart_02_28_10_25_49-medium.jpg

Process 111/111 DL Thread-2359344-1sabnp8ojx94-picsart_02_28_11_02_04-medium.jpg
    After one intensive day on the trails with lots of tweeking i figured out a good base setup for myself. 30%sag, 1 large volume spacer in a non-XV Can, LSC 7, 1 HSC, 1,5 HSR, 10 LSR.

Comparing from the stock Monarch RL with Debonair Can the CCDB improves the 111 very much.
    The stock shock was very playful and was a lot of fun on smoother trail with jumps and lips to get the bike in the air. The CCDB manages to keep those abilitys and gives the alot more suppleness on the rougher stuff. I know, its still only something about 110mm travel, but now it feels much more capable and it kept its vividness for which we love it.

Sorry for the bad english,

greetings
    Adam

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    well i think my 111 project is in its final completed phase. ill get some pics, build is pike, cc db inline, e13 trs r wheelset and cranks, ks dropper, ergon saddle and grips, nobby nic rear and hans front, x1 1x11 with guide rs brakes. not sure why everyone says they are heavy, mine is size M 28lb 1oz with pedals. love the bike and cant wait for springs to come so the trails open again
    first you get good, than you get fast

mtbr member
    Process 111/111 DL Thread-img_7636.jpg
    Still riding this guy I got in 2016, a 2015 eggplant model. I upgraded the wheel set before riding it, and changed out the crankset and chain-ring, as I climb a lot.

The bike has been great! Was starting to look around and see if I needed to move on or change bikes for the year. But after talking to the guys at the Kona B-ham shop, and some others, and reading here, I think I will just tune and consider upgrades to the suspension, new grips, and call it good.

Will be looking into the upgrades to the rear shock (I do want to do that) and think I will bump the pike to 130, and have it tuned. I rarely bottom out the front shock so I don't need to do anything crazy with it. The rear shock is where more improvement could be found I think, as it is still the stock one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-img_7634.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post

Name:	IMG_7636.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	1247393
    Still riding this guy I got in 2016, a 2015 eggplant model. I upgraded the wheel set before riding it, and changed out the crankset and chain-ring, as I climb a lot.

The bike has been great! Was starting to look around and see if I needed to move on or change bikes for the year. But after talking to the guys at the Kona B-ham shop, and some others, and reading here, I think I will just tune and consider upgrades to the suspension, new grips, and call it good.

Will be looking into the upgrades to the rear shock (I do want to do that) and think I will bump the pike to 130, and have it tuned. I rarely bottom out the front shock so I don't need to do anything crazy with it. The rear shock is where more improvement could be found I think, as it is still the stock one.
    Rear shock upgrade is the best thing you can do, I am running Xfusion O2 Pro now, have also ran Cane Creek, both great. I went with an Auron fork, I never liked the Pike, you could sell the Pike and get a gently used Auron and be out nothing. The Auron is a lot like the Mattocs, which is a good thing. The pro level riders may like the dampening of the Pike, but I prefer the subtle plush feel of Mattocs and Aurons. Plus SRAM support is about the worst in the industry, IMO.

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine has had really good luck with these and recently installed one on his evil following (takes same shock size as 111). Said it made a huge difference over RCT3.

Manitou makes a 6mm internal spacer to reduce the 190x50 to fit the 111

https://manitoumtb.com/product/mcleod/

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod129744
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    A buddy of mine has had really good luck with these and recently installed one on his evil following (takes same shock size as 111). Said it made a huge difference over RCT3.

Manitou makes a 6mm internal spacer to reduce the 190x50 to fit the 111

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod129744
    That looks interesting!

I think the Kona retailer around here is still talking about the Debonair can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have a mcleod on my process 111 since 3 months, i had a monarch and DB Air IL.
    Mcleod is great, very plush. A lot of grip for climbing, and fast descents.
    Incredibile for the little price i paid It.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davideb87 View Post
    I have a mcleod on my process 111 since 3 months, i had a monarch and DB Air IL.
    Mcleod is great, very plush. A lot of grip for climbing, and fast descents.
    Incredibile for the little price i paid It.
    This is what ive been hearing about them as well. My buddy is bit of a clyde and the monarch was taking 340 psi on to get proper sag on his following causing all sorts of issues with how the suspension performed. The mcleod is running around 250psi as i recall and the bike is working the way he thought it should have from the beginning. He had same results when he swapped his fox to the mcleod on his niner.

https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...l#post14055148
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yeah it needs little pressure. I weight 80 kg i'm at 150 psi.
    I found the standard can to be very progressive, i have some trouble using all the travel on the process.
    A king Can with mid volume is a good upgrade in my opinion, i will probably try it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Mcleod would be a great choice, I hear they are easiest to service as well. I went with X Fusion because of a great deal, just over $100 new, and same the Cane Creek, they were closing out for like $180. If I were buying new McLeod would be high on my list for its serviceability. I see the CC as a one and done since it costs as much to rebuild

mtbr member
    I'm who ATXZJ is talking about. Was running 340psi in monarch to barely achieve sag recommendation for my Following. Tried the standard can on the Monarch same issue, too high of pressure to achieve sag and created harsh ride. Was running the Monarch with three volume bands in pos chamber to get more support. Didn't realize that because the shock pressure was so high that the rear suspension wasn't as plush as it should have been. Switched to the Mcleod and it's a world of difference, the rear end is more lively and stays planted better through the chunk. Only need 195psi to achieve proper sag. It's also a simple shock to set up, set pressure for sag and rebound to personal liking. The IPA switch has four settings from really plush to almost locked and will blow off if you forget to switch back to descend setting. IMO one of the best affordable shocks on the market, and Manitou's CS is excellent.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    My process in its latest configuration, now with the fork at 140mm and a 1 degree Works headset. The combination of those two mods should have the head angle at just over 66 degrees, while keeping the rest of the bike with a couple mm's of stock.Process 111/111 DL Thread-process_slack.jpg
    Guide and logistical support at TDA Global Cycling Ė epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Selling my 2017 Process 111 in Medium, upgraded DPX2 shock and Light Bicycle Carbon wheels. Asking $2700.

Overlaps too much with my Sentinel. PM me if interested! https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2487201/

Process 111/111 DL Thread-p5pb16662880.jpg

mtbr member
    At 5'10", would up-sizing to a Large (2017) make sense...If you were going to run a 1.5 angleset?

Thinking a Medium would be on the short side, after adjusting the HTA.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    At 5'10", would up-sizing to a Large (2017) make sense...If you were going to run a 1.5 angleset?

At 5-10 you wouldn't really be upsizing with a large. I'm 6-1 and ride an XL, a tad big but fine

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kendunn View Post
    At 5-10 you wouldn't really be upsizing with a large. I'm 6-1 and ride an XL, a tad big but fine
    5'10 with 30" inseam

You would be fine with a 2017 in a size medium as a trailbike. If you're more gravity focused, Id go for the longer WB of the large.

I had a size L 2016 P111 and ran a works 2* with a 35mm stem and had plenty of room (TTL on 2016 is shorter than 2017). Also, my size L 2018 hei hei 29 has the same 2* headset with a 45mm stem and a TTL slightly shorter than a M 2017 111. Its not cramped in the least.

HTH
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, how much does the WB increase w/anglesets?

Input is very much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-process.png  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member

my 16 L was right at 48" or 1220mm with a 130mm fork and 2*
    greener pastures

mtbr member

https://bikegeo.muha.cc should get it pretty close to the effect a -2į headset has on your frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Link.
    The calculator doesn't seem to calculate reach accurately...grew after plugging in negative angleset.

ATXZJ,
    Any updated reach measurements from your 2016?
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member

ATXZJ,
    Any updated reach measurements from your 2016?
    Never bothered with it as the 111 had more than enough reach to begin with.

This is my old 111 with a 2*, 35mm stem and 40mm CSU. My advice would be to not overthink the TTL and reach too much.

Process 111/111 DL Thread-26223139_172388050042553_2970679478205808640_n-1-.jpg
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Selling 2017 Medium Process 111 with DPX2 and carbon wheels

My other post got lost in the replies, but I'm selling my medium 2017 Process 111! Had it listed at 2400 for a long time with no bites. Will let it go for 2300 though. Someone buy this thing!!! DPX2 with Light Bicycle carbon rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs. It's a steal!

Alternatively...anyone interested in buying just the DPX2 shock? https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2487201/

Process 111/111 DL Thread-p5pb16662880.jpg

Process 111/111 DL Thread-p5pb16662885.jpg

Process 111/111 DL Thread-p5pb16662881.jpg

mtbr member
    It's official, I am now a member of the Process Brotherhood

Scored a well cared for 2017...will post pics once it arrives.

daway, would have jumped on yours if it was a Large.
    Good Luck on the sale.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    It's official, I am now a member of the Process Brotherhood

Scored a well cared for 2017...will post pics once it arrives.

daway, would have jumped on yours if it was a Large.
    Good Luck on the sale.
    congrats! pm if you need anything
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    congrats! pm if you need anything
    Now that's what I'm Talkin About...the Process Brotherhood Is Real

Thanks Marcus
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anyone have the big shock bolt in their junk drawer? The head on mine is getting a little rounded out

mtbr member
    Anyone have the big shock bolt in their junk drawer? The head on mine is getting a little rounded out
    Email kona. They usually have quite a bit of spare parts lying around and can take care of you.

KONA PARTS | Kona Parts Store
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Picked up my 111 today = NBD !!!

Unfortunately, I broke a couple ribs on Monday...so stoke levels will remain in check until my first ride.

The previous owner didn't mention the bumper sticker on the top tube.
    Laughed when I saw it, and was quickly reminded of my ribs...ouch.

The travel on the Pike has been bumped to 150.
    Does anyone know if the original Pike fork was an A or B model?

I have a 140 fox36 I'm itching to throw on the process...but will wait until I've ridden it in it's current configuration.

Other planes to the Process are tires, works angle headset and swap brakes to Shimano.

Will be interesting to see which bike gets more trail time going forward.
    Other bike is a new stumpjumper ST alloy, with a 140mm Revelation.

Keep you guys posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-kona.jpg  

Process 111/111 DL Thread-bumpersticker.jpg  

Process 111/111 DL Thread-duel.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Unfortunately, I broke a couple ribs on Monday...so stoke levels will remain in check until my first ride.

I have a 140 fox36 I'm itching to throw on the process...but will wait until I've ridden it in it's current configuration.

Other planes to the Process are tires, works angle headset and swap brakes to Shimano.

Keep you guys posted.
    Looking at your bikes, if it were me, my nuts would ask for the P111 every time. Congrats on the purchase!

mtbr member

Keep you guys posted.
    Damn, sorry about the injury. Heal up soon!

Not sure what you mean about A or B pike? You should have a non boost so 15x100 (A). Most likely its an RC model with the old motion control damper. That fork is a good platform but the fox might have a better damper, but cant tell from your description.

Opinions are like @ssholes but heres mine.

Drop the pike to 130mm and add a charger 2 damper. If you want to get super sexy, swap in a 40-42mm offset steerer when you do it.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...BoCMa0QAvD_BwE

2mm works. FTW
    https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/20...dsets-15-c.asp

Shimano M7000 brakes. Best bang for buck
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...set-95363.html
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Did my first ride on the Process 111 few days ago, Super Nice

Still running the original Pike, which I need to dial-in further.
    My Rockshox Revelation (stumpy ST) feels nice, so the pike should feel as good (if not better).

Still planning on installing the 2019 fox36 Performance (grip) w/44 offset..first need to reduce to 140mm.

I also installed the Works -1.5 Angle Headset, soooo much better then stock.
    New HTA is now around 66 degrees (stock 67.5), and feels great.
    Anyone on the fence...trust me, you won't regret it.

Ribs are feeling better, but still in recovery mode.
    Thank you all for your support and well wishes.

The Process Brotherhood is Real.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    hi Guys, a newbie here, but a process 111 rider. I have been riding the 2016 111 that is set up a little different than most 111s out there. I have long shocked it with a 190x50 McLeod. to combat the steeper head angle i have put the -2 degree works headset and a longer fork. Also a bonus is the seat tube gets steeper. This has turned the bike into a true do it all machine. This mod is worth doing if you need a little more travel for bike parks etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anyone thrown a leg over a 134 29" yet? Supposed to be a 111 with a little more travel.

"Konaís Process 111 was a special bike. It was one of, if not the first, North Shore-ready short travel 29ers available. It had XC blood, trail bones, and a DH heart. Weíve been anxiously awaiting a new version of the beloved 111 for some time now, and, well, itís finally here. "
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...rocess-134-29/

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anyone thrown a leg over a 134 29" yet? Supposed to be a 111 with a little more travel.

"Konaís Process 111 was a special bike. It was one of, if not the first, North Shore-ready short travel 29ers available. It had XC blood, trail bones, and a DH heart. Weíve been anxiously awaiting a new version of the beloved 111 for some time now, and, well, itís finally here. "
    https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...rocess-134-29/
    I have a friend out in BC right now who rode one. He says it's more progressive than the 153, so you can be pretty aggressive with it. Feels like a revamped 111 (he says) with a little more travel in the deep reserve when you push hard to save your butt. Sounds like he will be trading in his 153 for it.

I think I may have to buy one next year. I sold my 111 1-2 months ago and miss the heck out of it.
    • 2019 Banshee Spitfire
    • 2018 Chromag Stylus
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I have a friend out in BC right now who rode one. He says it's more progressive than the 153, so you can be pretty aggressive with it. Feels like a revamped 111 (he says) with a little more travel in the deep reserve when you push hard to save your butt. Sounds like he will be trading in his 153 for it.

I think I may have to buy one next year. I sold my 111 1-2 months ago and miss the heck out of it.
    Sounds like the perfect bike, geo like a 111, just a tad more travel....maybe finally have a reason to give up the 18 Enduro and 15 111 and go with one bike! I'm in the east US, the only time I wanted more than the 111 was on Black Mtn in Pisgah, man that place beat the hell out of me. I was sure wishing for the Enduro that day. Really the only reason for me to have the Enduro over the 111 is when I travel out west, but I am thinking the 134 29 might just do all I can handle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    After a couple of years gathering dust, I am trying to get my 111 back on the trail. I had switched to a longer travel bike when the 111 developed some play in the suspension. As part of the rebuild I have replaced all of the bearings and verified that everything is tight to the specs. I have also assembled/ reassembled 100 times and I still have notcible play that can be felt when pulling up on the rear wheel. I am close to giving up. Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts on what could be wrong?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    After a couple of years gathering dust, I am trying to get my 111 back on the trail. I had switched to a longer travel bike when the 111 developed some play in the suspension. As part of the rebuild I have replaced all of the bearings and verified that everything is tight to the specs. I have also assembled/ reassembled 100 times and I still have notcible play that can be felt when pulling up on the rear wheel. I am close to giving up. Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts on what could be wrong?

You can't see anything move, only feel when you lift up? Did you for sure get the spacers back in correct when you put the bearings in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post

Rear shock / bushing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Rear shock / bushing?
    If you havenít replaced this bushing, thatís probably the culprit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I did not change the bushing, I will check it out. Thanks everyone for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the info, the shock bushings were the issue. Had my first ride on the bike. I forgot how this bike makes boring trails fun. Glad to have the 111 back in the stable.

mtbr member
    Installed a 2.3 DHF in the rear...tight, but works.

Now on shimano brakes, Fzee and Rslx...perfect combo

Still dialing in the Pike, trying 2 tokens next and some added compression.
    Not sure why I'm messing with it, as the fox36 is going on next (once I reduce the travel to 140mm).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-agave.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Installed a 2.3 DHF in the rear...tight, but works.

Now on shimano brakes, Fzee and Rslx...perfect combo

Still dialing in the Pike, trying 2 tokens next and some added compression.
    Not sure why I'm messing with it, as the fox36 is going on next (once I reduce the travel to 140mm).
    I had a Pike on my YT Jeffsy, never could come to terms with it. I replaced it with a Mattoc Expert and very happy. I have an Auron on my 111 and a "Swedish Massaged" Ohlins (thats an official Ohlins term, BTW, seriously) on an Enduro very happy there also.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I find short travel pikes need a ton of tokens to feel right. The 140 29er pike on my Honzo at 190lb needs 4 to feel money.

mtbr member
    I did a lower leg service, and found an issue with negative air pressure.
    Maybe my air-shaft port was clogged?
    Much more noticeable mid-stroke support...feeling much better now.

I also noticed I was not getting proper rear brake pad alignment on the rotor.
    I had to face the rear caliper posts to improve this. It's better, but looks like I need to trim a bit more time to get it perfect.

Anyone else encounter this issue with brake caliper pads running a bit high on the rotor?
    There are no spacers, caliper is mounted directly onto the brake caliper posts.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What calipers are you using? I have XT and no issues running 180 rotors.

mtbr member
    SLX rear, which should have same denominations as XT.
    My Process arrived with code brakes, which I passed along to my nephew.

He hasn't installed them yet, so I could inspect his pads...to review pad/rotor placement.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Reduced the rear caliper tabs a bit more...now pad to rotor engagement is perfect.

Had the front wheel rebuilt with a boost dtswiss hub, so I can finally install my Fox36 performance (44 offset).
    Reduced the travel to 140mm, 150mm was too tall on steep climbs.

Currently running Fox recommended settings, just need trail time to fine tune.

Minion 2.5F, and 2.3R
    Weight with peddles = 32.5 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-kona01.jpg  

Process 111/111 DL Thread-kona02.jpg  

Process 111/111 DL Thread-kona03.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Still stoked on my Process 111

Tried 30% on the shock...too bouncy.
    Prefer 25%

Took care of an obstacle on my local trails today.

Will be nice not to have to stop going forward
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-treedown-01.jpg  

Process 111/111 DL Thread-treedown-02.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Still stoked on my Process 111

Tried 30% on the shock...too bouncy.
    Prefer 25%

Took care of an obstacle on my local trails today.

Will be nice not to have to stop going forward
    Looking good buddy and glad you're digging the 111. Still a great bike to this day.

111 suspension:

It took forever to get my monarch RCT3 shock dialed and was never right. I think the 2017s come with an RT so less platform options on that one. FWIW, I was >< that close to ordering a fox DPX2 before i sold the bike. Also, if you're not running a 30T chainring, give it a try. The bike was designed for a 2X drivetrain with a 24 or 26T ring and the bigger chainrings reduce anti-squat and makes it wallow a bit on climbs.

https://www.ebay.com/c/2169045264
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Yea, running a 30T with a 11-42 cassette...works for my local trails.

I ordered a reseal kit for the monarch RT, as I don't have a maintenance history.
    Will start there, before looking for a replacement shock.

Thanks for the suggestion on the DPX2.
    Heard good things about the manitou Mcleod...might be a good budget option.
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Went on my first ride in 3weeks...long story.

Updated the rear-hub with a dtswiss, and swapped out the rear tire to a hans dampf while I was at it.
    The 2.3 Hans Dampf fits...probably about as big as what's allowed on the back of a 2017 process 111.

So nice to be back on the trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-sm-img-2867.jpg  

Process 111/111 DL Thread-sm-img-2863.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Some great info on here. I have the chance to buy a NOS 2016 DL, at almost half the RRP. Given all the great reports its very tempting.
    Size wise I'm 182cm and inseam is 86cm, which I think puts me in the large frame category, hard to tell by Kona's sizing chart.
    My big question though is, does anyone have a 16 model in large they can weigh? I'm getting old and every gram I can save counts!

Thanks.....

mtbr member
    My large 2017 weights 32.6lbs

No dropper
    Carbon bits
    Works Components angleset
    Raceface Aeffect cranks
    DT swiss 350 hubs
    WTB STs i29
    2.5 DHF EXO F
    2.3 Hans Dampf R w/tire insert
    Fox36 Performance Elite 140mm
    Monarch RT
    Shimano Zee F/Slx R
    Bontrager Montrose Comp saddle
    OneUp Composite Pedles

She carries her weight well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Process 111/111 DL Thread-scale.jpg  

Process 111/111 DL Thread-washingstation.jpg  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCFive View Post
    Some great info on here. I have the chance to buy a NOS 2016 DL, at almost half the RRP. Given all the great reports its very tempting.
    Size wise I'm 182cm and inseam is 86cm, which I think puts me in the large frame category, hard to tell by Kona's sizing chart.
    My big question though is, does anyone have a 16 model in large they can weigh? I'm getting old and every gram I can save counts!

Thanks.....
    Mine is a 2016 L. This is not a good weight weenie bike. Mine weighs just over 29lb w/ carbon bar, cranks, wheels. Stock is about 32 IIRC.
    Guide and logistical support at TDA Global Cycling Ė epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    Mine is a 2016 L. This is not a good weight weenie bike. Mine weighs just over 29lb w/ carbon bar, cranks, wheels. Stock is about 32 IIRC.

No dropper
    Carbon bits
    Raceface Aeffect cranks
    DT swiss 350 hubs
    WTB STs i29
    2.5 DHF EXO F
    Monarch RT
    Shimano Zee F/Slx R
    OneUp Composite Pedles

Legends, thankyou! I figured it wasn't going to be a cross country whippet, but now I have a starting point. Given the price, I can invest in a decent set of wheels that will get things heading in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Legends, thankyou! I figured it wasn't going to be a cross country whippet, but now I have a starting point. Given the price, I can invest in a decent set of wheels that will get things heading in the right direction.
    Good plan, the wheels are definitely the easiest place to drop significant weight from the stock build, and as rotating and unsprung mass this loss will also have a greater effect overall than any other areas.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member

Thanks.....
    Process 111/111 DL Thread-img_20180111_195504928.jpg

2016 size L. 29.4 lbs (ish)

Im 5' 10 with a 30" inseam and ran a 125mm dropper fully inserted in seattube. At a 33" inseam, you'd be fine on a large with a 175mm post like oneup offers.

The biggest pedaling improvement will come from 30t chainring and upgrading the shock to dpx2 or manitou. The OEM monarch tune on it isnt great.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post

No dropper
    Carbon bits
    Raceface Aeffect cranks
    DT swiss 350 hubs
    WTB STs i29
    2.5 DHF EXO F
    Monarch RT
    Shimano Zee F/Slx R
    OneUp Composite Pedles

Name:	IMG_20180111_195504928.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	1305207

2016 size L. 29.4 lbs (ish)

Im 5' 10 with a 30" inseam and ran a 125mm dropper fully inserted in seattube. At a 33" inseam, you'd be fine on a large with a 175mm post like oneup offers.

The biggest pedaling improvement will come from 30t chainring and upgrading the shock to dpx2 or manitou. The OEM monarch tune on it isnt great.
    Thanks mate. I have to say I'm not a massive fan of the colour scheme on the frame, but your wheels really set if off nicely!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I put my 2016 size large on the scale last night - 31.5 lbs with a dropper, pike and spank oozy wheelset. These bikes ride light, you will not notice the weight unless you are racing someone on an xc bike. The benefits are agile handling and the versatility to ride any trail from fast and smooth to tight and technical.

Old pic, still no matching wheels.

mtbr member
    Thanks mate. I have to say I'm not a massive fan of the colour scheme on the frame, but your wheels really set if off nicely!
    Thanks. sold the bike a couple years ago but still have fond memories of the 111. It was the first bike to change my opinion on 29ers and how playful they can be.

Replaced it with a hei hei that climbs better but doesn't have same bomber feeling on gravity trails. As others have said, the 111 carries its weight well and really, most riders are less concerned about weight now. Some of the guys at the local enduro were pedaling bikes up 3k ft in the 36-37lb range that i was hike a biking with my 27lb rig.

Set up properly the 111 will be just fine.

These were the mods that stood out in my time with the 111.
    2* headset
    reduced offset fork
    30t chainring (for anti squat in big gear)
    130mm fork
    upgraded shock (only did volume reduction but wanted DPX2)

Current rig:
    Process 111/111 DL Thread-0a901096.jpg
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 01-15-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So while I love the 111, I've come to really appreciate the wider tires that my other bikes will accept. I think a real 2.4 is now the minimum size I often want, and sometimes 2.6 is the ticket. My other bikes are either longer travel (Enduro and Jeffsy) or a hardtail (Krampus). My middle son has already laid claim to the Jeffsy, and I think my oldest has his eye on the Enduro, which is great, I want them into biking, but I'm now wanting a good do it all 29'er with maybe the next step up in travel so I wouldn't be afraid to take it on The Whole Enchilada in Moab or Black Mtn in Pisgah (got a little over my head on Black on the 111, the top of that trail is ROUGH!!!!). The 111 geo feels the best of any bike I have ridden, so would the 134 29 be the best fit? Any others people have moved up to and liked? I know there are geo specs that can be compared, but sometimes on paper its not the same as the real world.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So while I love the 111, I've come to really appreciate the wider tires that my other bikes will accept. I think a real 2.4 is now the minimum size I often want, and sometimes 2.6 is the ticket. My other bikes are either longer travel (Enduro and Jeffsy) or a hardtail (Krampus). My middle son has already laid claim to the Jeffsy, and I think my oldest has his eye on the Enduro, which is great, I want them into biking, but I'm now wanting a good do it all 29'er with maybe the next step up in travel so I wouldn't be afraid to take it on The Whole Enchilada in Moab or Black Mtn in Pisgah (got a little over my head on Black on the 111, the top of that trail is ROUGH!!!!). The 111 geo feels the best of any bike I have ridden, so would the 134 29 be the best fit? Any others people have moved up to and liked? I know there are geo specs that can be compared, but sometimes on paper its not the same as the real world.
    I rode a P111 for two years and loved it. It is still a great bike that can handle technical or fast, not both at once. Truly a fun bike for most rides. I am now on a Process 153 29er after a couple of years on a Canfield Riot. For me the P153 is a great mix of the two bikes - personality, long reach, BB drop from the P111, shorter stays, steeper seat angle, slacker head angle and more travel from the Riot. Compared to the 111, the 153 is a step up in the technical and is still fun for all conditions. I am sure that the 134 is a bit more agile, I don't think that the penalty offsets the extra versatility of longer travel. The 153 29er is a good option.

mtbr member
    The 134 might be a good compromise between the 153 and your current 111. Look for a demo near you on kona's site. Also, the new hei hei might be worth checking out when it finally materializes.

FWIW, there's a TON of good short/mid travel 29er options out there right now with the same or better geo than the konas.
    greener pastures

Chairlift Connoisseur
    I love my 111 and see no need to replace it for the riding where I live. I'm very, very late to this thread, but my 111 looks like it needs to have the rear shock rebuilt.

Is it worth the money to upgrade and if so, what is the "can't live without replacement"?Process 111/111 DL Thread-img_3892.jpg

mtbr member
    Yes, its a big improvement especially over the lower level monarch shock that model comes with. IMHO, these are 1st and 2nd best choices

A. Fox DPX2
    https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=dpx2

B. Manitou Mcleod
    (manitou will sell reducer to fit 111)
    greener pastures

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567