New Process 134 coming!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 71 of 71
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62

    New Process 134 coming!

    Save your pennies kidís! Soundís like a new process 134 is on the way next year. Both carbon and Aluminum models. Stay tuned!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    260
    I bloody JUST put a deposit on a Norco Sight, having given up on the 134 ever getting an update.

    Might be a moot point, though, if they're sticking to 27.5. One of my requirements for the new bike was 29Ē wheels. Still interested in details.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,202
    If it's anything like the new generation 153, I'll pass. I rented one yesterday just to try it out. Heavy as a tank. Probably weighs 10lbs more than the first generation 153. I'll stick with my sub-30 lb 134.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    471
    Uhh,.... source? Everyone here has been saying new 134 and/or 111 for years now.

  5. #5
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    412
    which model did you rent?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    which model did you rent?
    2018 153 27.5 AL/DL, I believe. RS Yari fork.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    A Kona employee. Not going into more than that. The person also said they just got their pre-production models in. I didnít inquire about wheel sizes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRT View Post
    The person also said they just got their pre-production models in
    That doesn't sound like its going to be a 2019 model then :-( Maybe a mid-year release?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    He made it sound like next year for sure. My guess would be a Sea Otter release as a 2020MY.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Too little too late. The rest of the industry is already building the bike they gave up on.
    greener pastures

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smartyiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    519
    It's next to the new Sultan on the mfg queue!

  12. #12
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRT View Post
    A Kona employee. Not going into more than that. The person also said they just got their pre-production models in. I didnít inquire about wheel sizes.
    Do you know for sure the rear travel will be 134 ish? I was kind of hoping they would split the difference between the 111 and 134. 125 would be sweet on local trails.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Too little too late. The rest of the industry is already building the bike they gave up on.
    I'm curious though. I'm after a replacement for my 2015 Transition Scout. The new Scout is crazy expensive (and heavy) in Australia. Its actually hard to find a decent durable aggressive short travel bike with a good seat angle at the Kona price points now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Depends on what you're looking for. 27 or 29? How aggressive?

    No clue on cost of buying a bike outside the USA. Used might be a good option then.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    824
    I was at a Kona demo earlier this summer and the rep told me a new 111 was on it's way. I think he said not until 2020 though. I was bummed by how long it is until it comes out.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    He said 134.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Until you can actually buy one, i wouldnt hold my breath. Even then, wait until they're 25-30% off.
    greener pastures

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    Bump

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    824
    I'm still interested in a new 134 for sure. Would want it in 29er though with aggressive modern geo. Steep as hell seat angle and slack head tube.

    Kona seems to be losing out as far as value goes. They seem to be pretty expensive for what you get. If that continues I'll probably go with the new Sight or Sensor.

    But I'm still very interested in seeing what they come up with.

  20. #20
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,829
    Lots of pressure/competition in the 130mm 29er category these days. Should be interesting to see what Kona brings out.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 01-30-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  21. #21
    > 55
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    132
    Kona lost me....or should I say, I got tired of waiting and wanted a new bike.

    Still enjoy and ride my 111 from time to time, but test rode both the GG trail pistol and smash. Ended up pulling the trigger on a smash over one-year ago!

    As others have said.....lots of options in the 125 to 140mm arena. Note, I am not brand loyal and having many bikes out there = good choice(s) for the consumer.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    Any new dirt on the 111? I've heard rumors of preproduction sightings in Bellingham.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by orangesinglespeed View Post
    Any new dirt on the 111? I've heard rumors of preproduction sightings in Bellingham.
    That would be nice. Better be an absolutely rad bike after all the time that has been lost.
    greener pastures

  24. #24
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    That would be nice. Better be an absolutely rad bike after all the time that has been lost.
    I am SO not holding my breath on anything from Kona.

    EDIT: it took me a while but I found it. See post #10...

    dear-kona-1079127.html

    Classic.

    And before anyone shits all over me, I currently have 5 Konas in the garage, and a brand new one at the shop which is 99% done. I LOVE Kona, and I always will. I just don't understand some of the directions they are going in.*

    *Nor do I understand why they insist on speccing their bikes with SRAM NX components and Level T brakes. But that's a whole other issue...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post

    *Nor do I understand why they insist on speccing their bikes with SRAM NX components and Level T brakes. But that's a whole other issue...
    All the bike companies are doing it on their lower end builds. SRAM must be giving the stuff away for free to OEM's.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I am SO not holding my breath on anything from Kona.

    EDIT: it took me a while but I found it. See post #10...

    dear-kona-1079127.html

    Classic.
    Thanks Mike, I do what i can. Probably didn't earn any points with kona on that one

    Like you, I've bought nine konas since 2015 so they gotta take the good with the bad.

    I've given up on them building an aggro short travel 29 and actually happy with the hei hei. The next purchase will be a process 165 or a used commencal supreme SX. God d@mn that high pivot is sexy!


    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    All the bike companies are doing it on their lower end builds. SRAM must be giving the stuff away for free to OEM's.
    Definitely a complete package deal thats hard for manufacturers to resist. You wont catch me running a long cage 12spd eagle plow/derailleur here. If I need more than 44T in the back, i can go to a 30T up front or just up my cardio game.
    greener pastures

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    302
    The new Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg looks like a killer alternative if the Process 134 doesn't show up.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    Agreed. If Kona doesn't show up with a gen2 111/134 this spring, Guerrilla Gravity will probably get my money!

  29. #29
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by orangesinglespeed View Post
    Agreed. If Kona doesn't show up with a gen2 111/134 this spring, Guerrilla Gravity will probably get my money!
    Regardless of what Kona does, I am very close to pulling the pin on the new carbon Smash. I need to find out how much of a pain in the ass getting one to Canada would be. I have inquired in the GG sub-forum.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Regardless of what Kona does, I am very close to pulling the pin on the new carbon Smash. I need to find out how much of a pain in the ass getting one to Canada would be. I have inquired in the GG sub-forum.
    One of our locals is sponsored/distributor. PM if need more info
    greener pastures

  31. #31
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    One of our locals is sponsored/distributor. PM if need more info
    Thank you Sir. I just may do that

    Just trying to get my head around yet another bike, when I still have not even picked up my Honzo from the shop (which I bought before my Sight was fully rebuilt). Wow. WOW.

    I need to hear from Nurse Ben and his wild string of bike acquisitions to help me get the ball over the goal line on this one...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    Speaking to a Kona dealer Satori may get rebranded or the new process 134 may get rebranded to the Satori, not sure. But regardless there will be geo tweaks to said bike from what he said. Hopefully Sea Otter will tell more.

  33. #33
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    I wish there was a social media leak with a pic or something. And I hope it's available as an aluminum frame only.

    (I never get what I want)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    Yes, I agree!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    Though this time I think it is being done right. Both carbon and alloy models releasing simultaneously.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRT View Post
    Speaking to a Kona dealer Satori may get rebranded or the new process 134 may get rebranded to the Satori, not sure. .
    hopefully that isnt true. How many other bike manufacturers have already built their own and improved upon something kona gave up on two years ago? The last thing we need is another flexy stay 29 rebranded to a 134 with a 68* HTA and a silly steep STA.

    These are what you seek:
    https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/rascal/

    Proven Canfield suspension and will be same price or less than kona carbona.

    https://www.facebook.com/forbiddenbikecompany/

    I want in on this high pivot witchcraft. that is all
    greener pastures

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I wish there was a social media leak with a pic or something. And I hope it's available as an aluminum frame only.

    (I never get what I want)
    Seconded. Please don't screw this up, Kona. I want to love you.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    131
    Any of you guys thrown a leg over a Satori?

    I am riding one at present and it's an absolute blast.
    Also have plenty of recent time on a 134DL from 2016 with 150mm Pike.

    The Satori loses out marginally on the rough and tumble, but absolutely smokes the Process everywhere else. It is seriously capable and fun.

    If the new 134 can combine the best elements of the Carbon Process 153 and the Satori, it will be a weapon. I'm almost certain i'll be lining up for one.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    I've never even seen a satori. Thats how unpopular they are around here.

    In the end, the process is just a linkage driven single pivot frame that is 80/20 carbon & aluminum. The competition is getting pretty tight in this segment and kona is gonna struggle to keep up with their competitors, particularly the direct to customer market. I really like my konas but its getting harder and harder to stick with them when they dont build what i want, charge too much for what i dont want, and dont offer many frame only options.

    Still holding out hope though
    (druid)
    greener pastures

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    15
    Interesting about the Satori. I heard the Hei Hei Trail (27.5) was going away with the new 134 out soon. I wonder if they will do it like the 153s by offering it in both wheel sizes with carbon and alloy builds.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    I have demoíd a Satori a few times. Most impressed by the seated pedaling position that ST angle puts you in. Love it, but Iíll wait a bit longer to see what is coming. Besides that Med Satoriís have been sold out for a few months.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    To your comment that is really interesting. Maybe the Satori and Hei Hei trail both take a bow. The new process 134 could be a similar situation as the process 153 then. Multiple wheel sizes and frame materials with essentially the same frame design.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rotorwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Commonaeros View Post
    Any of you guys thrown a leg over a Satori?

    I am riding one at present and it's an absolute blast.
    Also have plenty of recent time on a 134DL from 2016 with 150mm Pike.

    The Satori loses out marginally on the rough and tumble, but absolutely smokes the Process everywhere else. It is seriously capable and fun.

    If the new 134 can combine the best elements of the Carbon Process 153 and the Satori, it will be a weapon. I'm almost certain i'll be lining up for one.
    I demoíd a Satori and it didnt really speak to me. Wasnít very confidence inspiring however my strava times showed I was fast. Just didnít do it for me for whatever reason


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    no need to wait, the 130mm 29er of the future is here

    https://reviews.mtbr.com/meet-forbid...-the-new-druid
    greener pastures

  45. #45
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    no need to wait, the 130mm 29er of the future is here

    https://reviews.mtbr.com/meet-forbid...-the-new-druid
    Yawn.

    Next.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Yawn.

    Next.
    I think you'll be waiting a while then.....
    greener pastures

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    It looks like Kona doesn't have a booth at Sea Otter this week. Whatever they're working on must not be ready yet. Back to waiting...

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Imagine that
    greener pastures

  49. #49
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    I heard a rumor we'll know more in August/Sept. Not as soon as I hoped but it's coming.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    I'm over it.

    There's no point in holding out hope when almost every other reputable manufacturer is making what the market wants. I'm enjoying my modded Hei Hei 29 but barring some miracle, the next rig most likely wont be a kona.
    greener pastures

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    Correct, after viewing the Sea Otter vendor list, no Kona. Also no Rocky Mountain bikes there either. Almost every other brand present.

  52. #52
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I'm over it.

    There's no point in holding out hope when almost every other reputable manufacturer is making what the market wants. I'm enjoying my modded Hei Hei 29 but barring some miracle, the next rig most likely wont be a kona.
    You said that last time. Just sayin :-)

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    You said that last time. Just sayin :-)
    Probably so.

    I think it was just coming down to replacing my 111 and i just gave up on waiting and bought the hei hei.

    My next bike will be long travel and most likely high pivot. If kona can make that happen, great.
    greener pastures

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    You said that last time. Just sayin :-)
    Told you it wouldn't be a kona


    On the subject of waiting for a suitable 111 replacement, here's another competitor getting it right.

    Are you paying attention kona?

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ibis-r...look-2019.html
    greener pastures

  55. #55
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Told you it wouldn't be a kona


    On the subject of waiting for a suitable 111 replacement, here's another competitor getting it right.

    Are you paying attention kona?

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ibis-r...look-2019.html
    When Kona's new bike comes out I'm sure the geometry will be good, if not perfect (I hope).

    But if it has "Process" in the name it's pretty safe to assume it will be more descending oriented like the Transition Smuggler and less "longer travel XC" or all rounder like the Ripley which is definitely more focused on being a good climber.

    Kona already has the efficient climbing mid travel bikes in the Hei Hei Trail and Satori. The new Process bike will be different from those if I had to bet.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    When Kona's new bike comes out I'm sure the geometry will be good, if not perfect (I hope).

    But if it has "Process" in the name it's pretty safe to assume it will be more descending oriented like the Transition Smuggler and less "longer travel XC" or all rounder like the Ripley which is definitely more focused on being a good climber.

    Kona already has the efficient climbing mid travel bikes in the Hei Hei Trail and Satori. The new Process bike will be different from those if I had to bet.
    Agree 100%.

    The Process 111 was clearly loved, but it is/was a very different beast to the Ripley

    If I had the choice of any bike right now, it would probably be a Ripmo. Ibis have managed to nail the combination of a lively and efficient feel at the pedals and actual capability - Something many others claim but fail miserably at

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    When Kona's new bike comes out I'm sure the geometry will be good, if not perfect (I hope).

    But if it has "Process" in the name it's pretty safe to assume it will be more descending oriented like the Transition Smuggler and less "longer travel XC" or all rounder like the Ripley which is definitely more focused on being a good climber.

    Kona already has the efficient climbing mid travel bikes in the Hei Hei Trail and Satori. The new Process bike will be different from those if I had to bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Commonaeros View Post
    Agree 100%.

    The Process 111 was clearly loved, but it is/was a very different beast to the Ripley

    If I had the choice of any bike right now, it would probably be a Ripmo. Ibis have managed to nail the combination of a lively and efficient feel at the pedals and actual capability - Something many others claim but fail miserably at
    Taking all that aside. How long does it honestly take a company to build an aggressive short travel 29? A platform kona decided was not viable in 2017 yet manufacturer after manufacturer is currently offering it. They dumped money into the hei hei and satori line, and im more likely to see bigfoot on the trail than one of those.

    They just seem to lack the vision that chris mandell had when he was at the helm.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0Rzf616DY
    greener pastures

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    131
    I think you answered your own question, they deemed it not viable.
    They may have been loved by those that had them, but that number apparently wasn't enough

  59. #59
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    How long does it honestly take a company to build an aggressive short travel 29?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0Rzf616DY
    I would guess at least 2 years lead time. Which if they ended the 111 in 2017, they started working on the new bike the following year as the new 134 will be a 2020.

    Great video. Makes me want a 111 again. Honestly I wish I knew why the 111 was discontinued. I almost wonder if it was because the 27.5" wheel was once hailed as the "best of both worlds" and less because of poor sales.

    Look at Giant, they dropped all 29ers and committed big time to 27.5 around the same time. How'd that work out Giant?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Commonaeros View Post
    I think you answered your own question, they deemed it not viable.
    They may have been loved by those that had them, but that number apparently wasn't enough
    I based that comment on how long we've been hearing there is a "replacement" for the 111 in the works. I even heard this from kona themselves when i was visiting their headquarters in march of 2017. Clearly the hei hei, 153, and satori are not filling those shoes.

    Again, the rest of the industry is building these aggressive short/mid travel 29ers so it is a viable segment of the MTB market. We said give us a bike like the 111 that was lighter and climbed better and they couldn't provide that.

    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I would guess at least 2 years lead time. Which if they ended the 111 in 2017, they started working on the new bike the following year as the new 134 will be a 2020.

    Great video. Makes me want a 111 again. Honestly I wish I knew why the 111 was discontinued. I almost wonder if it was because the 27.5" wheel was once hailed as the "best of both worlds" and less because of poor sales.

    Look at Giant, they dropped all 29ers and committed big time to 27.5 around the same time. How'd that work out Giant?
    Kona has pulled a niner the last couple of years. They changed the META of the mountain bike industry when the process came out in 2014, and then just lost their way. Over committed to redesigning the hei hei lineup only to reduce it to two 29ers for 2019. They still offer a smattering of satori and trail models that will soon get thinned as they dont appear to be selling all that well. Not everyone wants or needs a 33lb 6" travel kona 29. Based on how little i see of those 153s on on the trails vs other LT 29s, its the prior.

    They did have enough time to design and build an ebike and then follow it up with a FS e-bike. I'm sure those are flying off the shelves as we speak

    The video basically captured what people loved about the old kona rigs. They were fun! If they can manage to get back to building bikes worth getting excited about, they'll get my money again.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:32 PM.
    greener pastures

  61. #61
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    I hear ya. Kona really lost it's way with the Unit in 2016. Previously it was a super fun XC hardtail.

    The geo got wonky and they started to market it as a bike packing bike. Chainstays got longer, and it seemed to go farther from what I loved about my 2011. (2011-15 was sweet spot) They really should have shifted over the Kona Raijin geometry to the Unit when that bike got discontinued. Geo was pretty spot-on on the Raijin.

    Slowly I feel like Unit's geo is coming back towards a fun bike again. It now fits 29+ too. I wouldn't be entirely disappointed if they morphed it into a Surly Krampus style hardtail with even shorter chainstays and a longer reach. That would be sweet, but unlikely.

    Little OT, sorry.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    260
    I asked a Kona demo guy today regarding a new 134. He said that the new 134 should be available in August, with a PR launch in June. A 29er version will be available. For geo, he said the HTA would similar to the 153 (around 66ish), the STA would be around 76-76.5, and the CS would be 425. All other geo numbers should be similar or slightly more modern than the 153.

    Another large change seems to be the weight. While he wasn't able to give me an exact amount, he said the new 134 weighed a good bit less than the 153. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2lb less frame weight. The 153 is a great bike, but is quite heavy (though very durable) and on the longer travel of side of a trail bike. If the new 134 matches what he told me, then it sounds like a good reentry into the highly populated aggressive 29er trail bike market.

  63. #63
    Downcountry AF
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,063
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    131
    Good to get some info.
    These should be a great bit of fun!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    I asked a Kona demo guy today regarding a new 134. He said that the new 134 should be available in August, with a PR launch in June. A 29er version will be available. For geo, he said the HTA would similar to the 153 (around 66ish), the STA would be around 76-76.5, and the CS would be 425. All other geo numbers should be similar or slightly more modern than the 153.

    Another large change seems to be the weight. While he wasn't able to give me an exact amount, he said the new 134 weighed a good bit less than the 153. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2lb less frame weight. The 153 is a great bike, but is quite heavy (though very durable) and on the longer travel of side of a trail bike. If the new 134 matches what he told me, then it sounds like a good reentry into the highly populated aggressive 29er trail bike market.
    Looking forward to seeing this materialize at some point. They've had enough time to get it right so hopefully its more than just a short shocked 153.
    greener pastures

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    New Hei Hei is on the way. Here's a teaser.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxeB7V6B...d=211jib11tuqf

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by orangesinglespeed View Post
    New Hei Hei is on the way. Here's a teaser.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxeB7V6B...d=211jib11tuqf
    The demo guy also mentioned some details about the Hei Hei as well. He said the new one would be a touch slacker up front, a touch steeper in the back, and would have slightly more linear suspension.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    And yet another redesign for the hei hei.
    greener pastures

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    85
    I got a Hei Hei recently and it's the best mtb I've ever owned. Only thing I wanted was for it to have a little more travel in the rear but the 120mm front is perfect. What are the odds of the new Hei Hei letting you run 100/120 in the rear mixed with 120 front like a lot of the new short travel 29ers that are coming out now?

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    I think I remember the demo guy I talked to saying that the Hei Hei was getting more rear travel. I want to say it was going to end up being 120/120.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by orangesinglespeed View Post
    I think I remember the demo guy I talked to saying that the Hei Hei was getting more rear travel. I want to say it was going to end up being 120/120.
    Well that would open it up for a lot more shock options plus the new mounting orientation on it. I tried to fit a DBAir IL on my HH but the air can was too fat.

Similar Threads

  1. Process 134/134DL Thread
    By formu1fan in forum Kona
    Replies: 1364
    Last Post: 12-20-2018, 04:39 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-03-2017, 12:41 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 09:07 PM
  4. 2014 process 153 vs 2015 process 134
    By f0nz0 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM
  5. Paid Spam: KONA Process 134
    By Larsey in forum 27.5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 206

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.