~=SOME*CAL=~

New question here. Need some newbie advice

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and new to biking, so I was wondering if you all could help me a little bit. Anyways, I am going to go buy a used '04 Coiler Dee-Lux on Saturday. The guy says he only rode it a handful of times before moving and losing all his riding buddies, but I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on what to look for when buying a used bike, like how to tell if a shock is blown or what not. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Cereal Killer
    You would probably want to look to see if there are any oil leaks on the fork and/or shock. And if it's hydro brakes, same thing. Look at the frame very closely, and see if you can notice any hairline cracks. The leaks can be fixed, but a cracked frame is worthless, even dangerous. Also, check to make sure all of the components work properly (levers, shifters, derailleurs, etc). If something doesn't work, they can be replaced, but you'll be spending more money. If all of that stuff checks out ok, then make sure you ride it, to see if it feels "right" for you. That's a short list of all I can think of. I'm sure some others will chime in soon though.

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Cool thanks Chad, from reading some other posts, it seems like most cracks occur around the seat tube area, but is there any other place to be especially wary of?

And He was Not

If your not sure

If you are not sure take it to a reputable bike shop. Give 'em a couple of bucks and ask them to check it out.I would think $10-15 would be plenty. I'm a auto mechanic and we usually only charge about $50 to give a car a once over. It may sound like alot but when you compare it to what it cost if you buy a lemmon and have to make repairs it is not a bad idea.

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Yeah, that is a good Enoch. I just don't know how willing the guy would be to let me take off with his bike long enough to get it checked out, ya know?

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by zRockstar
    Yeah, that is a good Enoch. I just don't know how willing the guy would be to let me take off with his bike long enough to get it checked out, ya know?
    Have him meet you at the shop and tell him why, be up front about it. It is your hard earned money after all.

Just roll it......

Other things.

First of all, I love the "it's barely been ridden a few times".

Frame:
    Take a look at stuff like cable rub on the frame. Check for dings or dents that would indicate any big crashes. Grab the back of the frame and twist it a little and feel for play. This would indicate bearing wear.

Fork and rear shock:
    Cycle the fork a few times to make sure oil isn't gushing out on the stanchions (the part of the fork that has goes inside the lowers as it compresses).
    Adjust the rebound and compression on the fork and shock and make sure they're working correctly. If they are working right, they'll speed up or slow down the fork as you cycle it through while adjusting the knobs.

Drivetrain:
    Make sure the bike shifts easily and is going into all of the gears with ease. If not, it might just indicate the need for some adjustment, but something to look for. Also, look at the teeth on the chainrings....if these are really worn, it probably indicates more than just a few rides on it.

Brakes:
    Make sure these are working well. They shouldn't be squishy (which usually just means air in the lines) or the need for new pads.

Alternatively, you could either have the guy send you a bunch of pics and you could post them here and we could give you some honest opinions. If that won't work, take about 10 close up pictures of the frame, fork and components and we could give you some feedback on those.

Good luck!
    EB

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Thanks EB, that helps a lot. I am going to attach a few pics, I hope I can get a review back before I head off tomorrow morning. If not, I will let you guys know how it turns out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zRockstar
    If someone wants to sell something bad enough and doesn't have anything to hide, there should be no problem. If he has a problem with it, that's a red flag to me.

Just roll it......

Based on those few pics....

.....it looks clean. Only way to tell for sure is to check it out.

Let us know how it turned out.
    EB

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Hey guys, I went and checked it out today. I looked it up and down and did everything you guys recommended. Everything checked out good. It was hard to find any signs that the bike had even been riden before. I also found out that it was upgraded with a Chris King headset, Raceface Diabolous cranks, handlebars, and seatpost, and Maxxis high roller 2.6 tires. Not sure what all this does, but I walked away with it all for $1800. Thank you all for your help!

Just roll it......

Z to the R-O-C

Good deal on that bike. It sounds like it's in great shape and had some solid upgrades added. With 5" of solid travel, that bike will be a great do-all rig and will be burly enough to handle a lot of abuse too. That bike will definitely be something to grow into for you, so don't get discouraged if it seems a lil' heavy at first.

Give us a report after you get a few rides on that sucker....

Cheers,
    EB

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Thanks for all your help EB. I took it out for a few miles today, and wow, my legs burn in places I have never felt before. I was riding mostly on the pavement, and it was real slow, but I did get off road a little and the suspension was great. Now I just gotta figure out how to adjust everything to fit me. Thanks again!