mtbr member

My new frame - 2005 Kula Primo

Picked it up today. 19" at 1381 grams or 3.04lbs. with no brake posts. 27.2 seatpost. 31.8 FD. 22.5 top tube. All tubes are scandium. Nice and light!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Let me know how the geo feels once you have it built

I was thinking about building one up this year.

Konameister
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    Picked it up today. 19" at 1381 grams or 3.04lbs. with no brake posts. 27.2 seatpost. 31.8 FD. 22.5 top tube. All tubes are scandium. Nice and light!

Thats interesting - I get my frame on friday (ordered it in august). Maybe they got a big batch done.

Cereal Killer
    I have a question: is scandium more like steel, ti, or aluminum? I've wondered this for years, but never really knew.

mtbr member
    Actually - I phoned Kona Canada and spoke to a rep a week before the order came in. You might say I was at the right place at the right time. I asked him to hold me one. As it turned out - I got the last one in that batch that was recently shipped. Just lucky.

mtbr member
    The truth is I don`t know. However, I`ve heard that it does "FEEL" similar to a Ti - steel hybrid - if you can imagine that? I`m anxious to get this thing built up to see for myself.

But by definition scandium is only a marketing name. The frame is aluminum with a very small % of scandium element which in turn gives it the feel of a flexier less harsh ride produced by Alum.

Cereal Killer
    Oh, I see. About 4 years ago, I had a chance to get a Richey frame that was scandium, but couldn't get a straight answer on what "it" was. Looking back now, I wish I would have got it. O'well.

And He was Not

You wont like it

Scadium is a blend that helps give a compliant ride. Some of the tubes I've heard are triple butted giving it a tuned ride.
    You wont like it so you need to trade to me for 05 Cadera Frame (19 inch). It is made of harsh riding, bone rattling straight gauge 7005 cold worked Aluminum pipe that has no give and lasts forever.

Konameister
    Actually the scandium also allows the tubes to be a lot thinner/lighter while getting the same strong frame - thus further enhanching the "soft feel"...

UK Biker

Scandium

The Scandium is alloyed with the Aluminium and (keeping it simple) increases the Aluminiums strength. The increased strength allows thinner walled or smaller diameter tubing to be used which is more flexible giving a more comfortable ride (a bit like Steel or Ti).

Fluff