mtbr member

My lost Kiluaea - a great ride

About two months ago I, completely by chance, saw my old 1998 Kona Kiluaea being ridden down the street by an old guy in Seoul, Korea. It had been stolen in Seoul about three years previously.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I got it back. It's a wicked little hardtail steel frame with a project 2 rigid fork and a lot of nice shiny raceface parts etc on it.

As I'd been riding my 5 Spot for close to a year, and riding a RM Blizzard with a fork for quite a while before that, I was worried that being on a rigid again would be horrible.

How wrong I was. The Kiluaea is a bloody nice bike to ride. So fast, light and fun. It shoots up the uphills faster than the 5 Spot (although the spot wins with the technical stuff) and feels much nippier through twisty singletrack. It handles stairs, logs and rough xc very nicely. I really thought that I'd ride it again once and hate it, but obviously having a few more years riding experience and having been on the Spot for a while has made me a more confident and aggressive rider.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pepito
    Jun 2004
    cool find. did you have to buy it back?

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    The old guy riding it got the bike from his son-in-law. The son-in-law bought it off the internet. I assume the guy selling it on the internet had bought it off the thief (probably unwittingly) about three years ago.

The son-in-law and I reached a friendly compromise where we went half and half on an entry level bike for his father-in-law (who was, after all, an innocent party) and I got my bike back. I didn't have to pay much - about the same cost as the CK headset on the Kona alone. I got my nice bike back. The old man got a shiny new red bike, and everyone was happy.

Now, if only I could track down the original thief....

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    The old guy riding it got the bike from his son-in-law. The son-in-law bought it off the internet. I assume the guy selling it on the internet had bought it off the thief (probably unwittingly) about three years ago.

The son-in-law and I reached a friendly compromise where we went half and half on an entry level bike for his father-in-law (who was, after all, an innocent party) and I got my bike back. I didn't have to pay much - about the same cost as the CK headset on the Kona alone. I got my nice bike back. The old man got a shiny new red bike, and everyone was happy.

Now, if only I could track down the original thief....

nice to see a diplomatic approach to the situation. very happy ending indeed. i'll leave you two alone now, as i'm sure you have some serious catching up to do.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs