mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Looking at 2004 Kona Dawg...

Looking at a 04 leftover Dawg at my LBS for $1099. The frame is an 18" which is what I guess Kona considers a large. Was wondering if any other riders of my size (5'10", 190lbs) were riding 18's or what size they were currently on. I haven't had a chance to test ride the bike and I definitely will do that but figured I would get a head start on the message board. Any other feedback on the Dawg would be appreciated as I have been looking at several other bikes some more expensive (Yeti 575, Rocky Mountain Slayer) and some in the same $$$ range (Fisher Sugar, Giant AC and VT).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    damn that's a great price! FWIW, I just put an 04 Dawg on layaway a couple weeks ago at my LBS. I'm 6' , and I got the 19" frame size, and it feels perfect to me.

mtbr member
    I am 5'7" and ride and 18" 2004 Dawg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeWarp
    Looking at a 04 leftover Dawg at my LBS for $1099. The frame is an 18" which is what I guess Kona considers a large. Was wondering if any other riders of my size (5'10", 190lbs) were riding 18's or what size they were currently on. I haven't had a chance to test ride the bike and I definitely will do that but figured I would get a head start on the message board. Any other feedback on the Dawg would be appreciated as I have been looking at several other bikes some more expensive (Yeti 575, Rocky Mountain Slayer) and some in the same $$$ range (Fisher Sugar, Giant AC and VT).

I am 5'10 with short legs (30" inseam) 185 lbs. I ride an 04 17" Dawg Primo and the bike fits me great but I like my bikes a little small. I think the 18" would be a great fit as long as your legs are 30" or over.

John

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dawg's a good choice...used to ride a 19" Dee-lux - I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam and thought the 19" was sometimes too big - the 18" should fit you fine. 575 would be a very good choice also if you're not dropping more than the occassional 1-3 footer.

mtbr member
    I am 5' 10" and I am riding a 17" Dawg Dee-lux. The size works for me although I did have to put a little longer stem (put on a 105mm).
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you look!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any other feedback on the Dawg would be appreciated as I have been looking at several other bikes some more expensive (Yeti 575, Rocky Mountain Slayer) and some in the same $$$ range (Fisher Sugar, Giant AC and VT).
    I am 5'8" and use to ride a medium (~17") Dee-lux, I have just under a 30" inseam and it fit ok. I would definitely test ride a lot of different bikes to see what you like the best. I thought the dawg was a great bike until I started riding some other bikes. The Dawg is an all-around ok bike, doesn't do one thing all that great, but does everything ok. I guess you have to look at what type of riding you're doing to determine the best bike for you. The 575 gets alot of attention on this board, but I have never ridden one so I can't comment. The sugar's are ok, have their inherent problem of chain suck and what not, and run a fairly longer top tube. The AC and VT are good bikes, but totally different purpose bikes. If you are looking at Giant and ride XC then look at the Trance 2 or 3, if more towards all-mountain then Reign 2 or 3. My latest ride is a Trance 1 frame and it is a great ride, not the lightest at 28lbs, but I didn't build it to be a WW. It rides similar to a SC Blur, but is alot cheaper.

The only real complaint I had about my Dawg is that I wore out the rear shock bushings twice in one year. This really isn't Kona's fault, I think it is Fox's, but it still gave the rear of the bike a sloppy feeling. Also, I sold it last year and about a month later the kid I sold it to broke the rear triangle on one of the chainstay's. I don't know how he did it, but he sent me a picture of it. I was very surprised b/c that bike can take a beating as long as your not hucking >3' all day.

Later and good luck.

In the Kitchen
    I ride an 18" ' 03 Dawg. I'm 5'9", 175 lbs. I love it!!

(What up Diiulio?!?!? )
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    McGRP01,
    How's the weather over there treating ya? Man, I have never been able to ride year round North Bay is beautiful. Got out of work around 3 on Friday and did a quick 1.5 hour loop in shorts and it was amazing. All week in the 60's. The riding out here is so different. Nothing like climbing for 45min-1 hr and then a sweet 20-25 minute singletrack down. I do miss the East Coast trails though, there were definitely some sweet ones, but not even close to out here- just so much trail. I miss the forested singletrack deep in the dark woods with lots of roots and rocks. Out here there is a lot of open trail with views of the bay and the surrounding mtns. Alot more switchbacks out here. I still haven't hit the really technical trails out here yet, but I have been on a couple. I live right near the base of Mt. Tam so there are alot of trails in the vicinity, Tam is really off limits to bikers or at least the good trails are. The rich yups have basically bought them for their personal hiking on Sundays.
    Later,
    Jason

As far as the Dawg, yea it was a good ride, but I never rode it with propedal so I know the pedal efficiency has increased alot, but I would still ride some other bikes like mentioned above. Also a good fit is more important than the components.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Im about 59 and ride the 2004 Dawg in 18, fits perfect!!! Added a 2005 All Mountain 2, now its even better! I would say buy the bike.
    beria

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

For that price I would get it.
    I am 6 ft. 185, with a 35 in. inseam
    and I ride a 19" Kona Bear (same as dawg).

Although, if the Giant VT-2 is $1099, I would say to
    really test ride them and see which fits and rides better.
    I test rode a VT-2 and bike expo and it was amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks to all those who gave me feedback on the Dawg. I did end up pulling the trigger yesterday on the bike and ended up getting it for $1049 w/ lifetime tuneups at the LBS and $80 in store credits, so I think I did well for myself.

Rode the bike this morning after swapping the pedals to Atacs and absolutely loved it. Thanks again for all the replies!

In the Kitchen
    Thanks to all those who gave me feedback on the Dawg. I did end up pulling the trigger yesterday on the bike and ended up getting it for $1049 w/ lifetime tuneups at the LBS and $80 in store credits, so I think I did well for myself.

Rode the bike this morning after swapping the pedals to Atacs and absolutely loved it. Thanks again for all the replies!

Congrats!!!
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com