mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Kula or Kula Deluxe Sizing

I am looking at buying either a Kona Kula or Kula Deluxe. It all depends on the funds that I can scrape together. Anyways, I'm unsure as to whether I should purchase a 18" or 19". My critical measurements are as follows: height - 5'10.5", inseam - 32".

On the road, I currently ride a 56 Cannondale CAAD9 which fits me well. In the mountains and on the single track, I am borrowing a friend's American made Voodoo. He says it is a 19" that runs small. My attempt at measuring the seat tube gave me a measurement of 18.5", and my attempt at measuring the horizontal top tube gave me a measurement of 23". Note that when I ride, the seat has been moved back as far as it will go. The Voodoo and the 19" Kula share a similar head tube length of about 5".

Although I am not interested in riding a 29", I tried a 18" Kula Deluxe 2-9 at the LBS. On my ride around the parking lot, I deemed it to be a bit small. That night on the trail, I tried a friend's 19" Kula 2-9. He says he is 5'9" tall and as far as I can tell, he his correct. His legs must be longer than mine as the seat felt too high for the 5 minute ride. The top tube length felt okay and his seat was centered. However, from the geometries on the website, the geometry of the Kula and Kula Deluxe seem to be more aggressive than that of the Kula 2-9.

I am mostly interested in riding XC, single track with good climbs and descents where there is some technical riding involved.

Please share your expert opinion with me as I don't want to be riding a bike that is too small or too big. Thank you.

Team Cspine
    Oddly enough I'm also kicking around buying a Kula to build up.

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and I'm comfy on my 20" Kikapu and ride a 58 roadie so I'd say you're in the right neighborhood with a 19" and could adjust the parts to fit more exactly. No chance you could ride one at a dealer?

Just my $2/100...
    Sorry what?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks Bulletbob

Thanks for the email. It makes me feel more confident in the decision that I had already made to order a 19". Good luck with your Kula build and have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0