mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Kona's quality control?

My 2005 Stab Supreme came with 1 of 3 tapped holes missing for the chain guide mount, I think it is... behind the chain ring. After 2 hours of some xc type riding and 1 dh race, I found play in my rear wheel. Thinking a loose hub bearing, I could not get the rear axle out. It had to be beat out with a hammer and punch. The aluminum axle carrier- derailler hanger was messed up while threading the axle part way out. Messed up while a heli-coil came out with it. A replacement hanger was made to work after a thick washer was used to shim it out to align the axle. This washer was used to shim out the hanger which was milled thinner on the front end than the back. Still working on getting the correct parts. Any ideas what's going on? Am I getting ahold of some experimental parts or prototypes? BTW, the loose wheel was eliminated with the reassembly. This was only done to get me through another race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Have you contacted you dealer yet? I've heard Kona's customer service is generally very good on warranty claims. If something is screwed up it should get fixed or replaced. That simple.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.