Kona Sutra LTD SS- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Jun 2018

Kona Sutra LTD SS

someone has experience riding the LTD on SS?
    i wonder how it will run with his pretty long chainstay.
    and im going to switch the 700c wheels to 29X2.1

the geometry of the bike:
    56 cm frame
    618 stack
    445 chainstay
    1070 wheelbase
    293 BB height

thanks!

mtbr member
    700c and 29" wheels are the same thing. The i23 rims that come with it are narrower than what most people use for fatter 29er tires. I'd be curious about the maximum width tires that can fit in the frame and fork (probably easy to find out in the Kona forum).

When you say SS, do you mean single speed? There's a Singlespeed forum where this kind of question would make more sense.

It's a touring/ gravel bike, so it has long chainstays and a LOW bottom bracket because it's designed to be stable and smooth for grinding out long miles on dirt, but not necessarily rugged technical mountain bike trails.

mtbr member
    Just rode the 58cm frame the other week. I'm 6'4" and felt it was a little small for me, otherwise it was a very nice riding bike. Really liked the 1x11 SRAM Drivetrain and had brakes. The gearing is low with a 36t chainring, which was nice for hills.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Just rode the 58cm frame the other week. I'm 6'4" and felt it was a little small for me, otherwise it was a very nice riding bike. Really liked the 1x11 SRAM Drivetrain and had brakes. The gearing is low with a 36t chainring, which was nice for hills.
    Good comments, but this has nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

The Sutra is a sweet bike for sure but doesn't have sliding dropouts or an EBB so you'll need to run a tensioner or use some other method of tensioning the chain.

The 700x45c tires are good sized but the frame will clear 2.1's if you want something bigger.

The chainstay length is like that because of this bikes intended purpose and won't be a drawback or affect your ability to run SS.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Good comments, but this has nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

The Sutra is a sweet bike for sure but doesn't have sliding dropouts or an EBB so you'll need to run a tensioner or use some other method of tensioning the chain.

The 700x45c tires are good sized but the frame will clear 2.1's if you want something bigger.

The chainstay length is like that because of this bikes intended purpose and won't be a drawback or affect your ability to run SS.
    Your right. But I enjoy rambling.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Your right. But I enjoy rambling.
    Well maybe going forward you can focus your comments in a way that contributes more to the topic at hand. This place is what it is (awesome resource) because of the individuals that share their experience.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

banned
    Jun 2018
    thanks guys, so ill have to put the sutra aside-too bad its a beauty!
    so what is obligation for an ss frame?
    sliding dropouts and what else i need to look at?
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Where and how do you plan to ride this bike? The Sutra is designed for loaded touring with bags and a drop bar. that what you're looking for?

That kind of riding is usually not very conducive for singlespeeding. It can be done, but it's very unusual. Just about any bike can be converted to singlespeed if you use a chain tension mechanism. I understand the desire for a bike that has it built in as I have ridden SS almost exclusively for years, but a tensioner is fine.

mtbr member

Kona Sutra LTD SS

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Well maybe going forward you can focus your comments in a way that contributes more to the topic at hand. This place is what it is (awesome resource) because of the individuals that share their experience.
    Alrighty then....I admitted fault and you continue to lecture me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downcountry AF
    Salsa Fargo, Soma Wolverine, Surly Straggler.

A lot of the SS compatible gravel bikes I'm finding are from boutique frame builders. Reeb, Carver, Chumba, Spot, Moots, etc.

Here's a pretty big list, but not all SS compatible.

List of 650B Gravel Bikes, 27.5" Monstercross Bikes - BIKEPACKING.com
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

banned
    Jun 2018
    the big goal is going to do the tour divide next year, i want to go at simplicity to avoid problems.
    how can i see if its singlespeed compatible?
    sorry not a big expert at this.
    im looking at the "monk bicycle GXT" an have no idea if its good for singlespeed without a tensioner.

Downcountry AF
    You need a way to tension the chain for a SS. You should do some reading to get familiar with what you need for SS and how it works. The two most common methods are sliding dropouts or EBB.

You can also check out the Salsa Fargo.
    https://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/2019_fargo_tiagra
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    There's a whole singlespeed forum that should be of help to you, particularly this thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/...a-1087190.html

Sounds like you need a Salsa Fargo. It is built for just what you have in mind and it has those Alternator dropouts for singlespeed use.

banned
    Jun 2018
    thank you guys, i take a look at the link.
    i really hate this very slooped top tube, looking for horizontal or a small sloop cause i want to put there a big frame bag. maybe ill go custom and ask for the same dimensions of the popular frames, thanks again!

mtbr member
    Top tubes on most bikes look like that because they won't fit any normal human being when the bike has a suspension fork. It depends on the bike and the size those. Bigger frames will have more room for a frame bag. If you're looking for a rigid fork bike, look for something that was not designed around a suspension fork and does not need a "suspension-corrected" rigid fork. Jones LWB, Salsa Cutthroat, Soma Wolverine, Surly Bridge Club, various Velo Orange models, for example. The Fargo has a suspension corrected fork, so the front end is higher.

The "general discussion" forum is not going to be as much help to you as the Bike packing forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As said, others would have better dropouts for SS, but it is a really nice frame that accommodates larger tires. We have the Sutra Ltd. and a Fargo. The Fargo will take bigger tires but after a lot of riding my wife and I find we don't want huge tires. We are on pavement and fast gravel too much and ride trail bikes for more serious single track. One friend accurately describes the two frames as Sutra is the drop bar bike you can jump, and Fargo the large luxury car.

The other thing that comes to mind here is I would not want our Fargo or Sutra as single speeders because of the combos of riding circumstances we encounter with them.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    @chilik did you consider the Kona private Jake? It's no longer in production, maybe you can get one used or at closeout prices. It's an aluminum cx with sliding dropouts. tire clearance: supposedly 40mm according to the bikeman.com description below.
    KONA BIKES | ROAD | JAKE | Private Jake

Looks like it's fit for touring and bikepacking too:

https://blog.wiggle.co.uk/search/node/Private%20jake

Depending on where you're based, these might be of interest to you :

http://search.bikeman.com/search/index?query=Private%20jake

https://www.hibike.at/kona-private-jake-framekit-black-silver-mod-2016-p8331d314bfda104cef3592544904f26c

Cheers