mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kona A Single Speed

Has anyone built one of these, or do you know of someone who has?

Just wondering how well the design is dailed in and what, if any problems they've had. Don't seem to hear much about them and I would think it would have a following by now.

Thanks,

Russ

mtbr member
    May 2004

Check with Erik @ Slippery Pig Bikes in Phoenix

http://www.slipperypigbikes.com/

I have seen some A's in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by onepivot

Just wondering how well the design is dailed in and what, if any problems they've had. Don't seem to hear much about them and I would think it would have a following by now.

Thanks,

Russ

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I rode one for a bit this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by onepivot

Thanks,

Russ
    We built one up for one of The Path locals recently. He put nice stuff on it: King ss disk hubs, Marthas, Fox yada yada yada it came out well. I think it weighs less than my fully rigid ss. He got both ends of his suspension Pushed out of the gates. So this weekend, we were riding up the Harding Truck Trail, and since we are the same size, and both ride Frog pedals, we switched bikes for a while.

As I rode the A up steep rutted fire road, I enjoyed the extra comfort, and in the rough areas, the bike hooked up better than my rigid. The rear suspension seemed to cycle some whle climbing hard in the saddle. I could not feel it much, and I didn't feel like I was losing power, but I could see it moving, even with the Pushed RP3 in the firmest setting. Out of the saddle, the bike felt firm, and the suspension only seemed to move when I hit bumps. The A definetely seemed to bob more in the saddle than my '05 Kikapu. I do not know if this was due to the concentric pivot, the fact that it is a single speed, or something else. I did noticed that if I pulled up hard on the pedals (fatigue), the bob was worse, while if I pedaled evenly, keeping the pressure between my but and the saddle fairly consistant, the bobbing would all but completely dissapear.

I enjoyed the ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i just built my kona A up. It's light, feels right and looks tight. i'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just happened to be wandering around the forums and came across someone mentioning an "A" built at the the Path w/ king SS disk hubs and both ends Push'd...I'd have to agree with thephat about the cycling sensation of the rear suspension. I've been running the rear shock with about 20% more pressure in it than when thephat rode it up Harding. It helps the bob, but does not eliminate it completely. With that said, I managed to complete the 2005 Warrior's Society Vision Quest ride (58.5miles w/12,000 feet of gain), albeit as one of the last official finishers, on the "A" so I figure it can't be all that inefficient.

Although there are definitely more efficient full suspension designs, there is definitely something to be said about riding a full suspension SS...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've been looking to replace my SS conversion recently with the genuine article, and noticed two Kona As are up on ebay UK
    here and here .I've never heard of this bike before now, and a search of this site isn't turning up much, so its interesting to hear about people riding them. Am I right in saying its a discontinued bike? I wouldn't fancy picking one off ebay sight unseen, the rear suspension would be too much of an unknown quantity, Still, its a cool looking SS design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    No, Kona only makes it frame only.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...categoryid=202

^ Scroll to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Kona "A" Suspension

I've got a 16-inch 2005 Kona "A" with a Pushed RP3 shock and Fox F80RLT fork. Your suspisions about the suspension design are valid. The concentric bottom bracket did bob quite a bit, even with the stock RP3. However, Darren Murphy at Push Industries custom tuned my RP3 for the "A" suspension design. The custom tuned Push RP3 makes a world of a difference on the bike. It pedals nicely now. I rode it in a 60-mile 12,000 foot gain race through mud and slop and it treated me well.

The way I have the Pushed RP3 set up is to run it with slightly higher pressure than normal and in the progressive setting. This makes the suspension rock solid when standing to climb, and minimizes the, "bob" when seated climbing.

My "A" weighs in at a svelte 22.8 - 23.0 lbs.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I have been riding my A for two years now and...

thouroughly love the bike. I have an old 1st year Fox Rl with lock out and propedal on it and love the thing. No problems with bobbing. I plan on racing it at the Cream Puff this year over 100 miles and around 18,000 to 20,000 feet of climbing so I would say it climbs well. I will have it at the single speed worlds as well. The bike runs great. I also have the fox 100mm inertia fork up front so it is almost a rigid bike when climbing logging roads. Everyone who rides single speeds should have one of these. Saves you a beating. I also race on my Unit but love the A.