mtbr member

New question here. Kona Joe (or anybody)... am I damaging my frame?

I just got a Race Face Atlas seatpost for my 2003 Dawg.... the seatpost manual says "If the seatpost tube, when iserted, does not extend beyond the top tube in the frame, the frame could be damaged." I am tall, so the seatpost is at minimum insertion (about 75mm). By eyeballing it, it seems to come down to about three-quarters of the way down the top tube cross section. So, am I in danger here? Thanks

rob
    slakDawg

I switched to a Thomson 410 mm length

don't know if it was because too much seatpost showing or the frame was one size too small, but I cracked my Dawg using the post that came with my Dawg..

6' 3" riding a 19" Dawg, warrantied up to a 20"

Before:

After (set me up with a shiny new Dawg Primo):

Ned
    mtbr member
    Something's gonna give in that situation... frame or post. Before that gusset was instilled into the frame design of the early stinky's there were loads of cracking issues due to the short posts people had to run in the curly seat tube frames. Hence the gusset and straight seat tube...

I have the exact same problem with all my bikes. Blanket solution --> Roox 430mm seatpost in all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    I just got a Race Face Atlas seatpost for my 2003 Dawg.... the seatpost manual says "If the seatpost tube, when iserted, does not extend beyond the top tube in the frame, the frame could be damaged." I am tall, so the seatpost is at minimum insertion (about 75mm). By eyeballing it, it seems to come down to about three-quarters of the way down the top tube cross section. So, am I in danger here? Thanks
    Go for a longer post, pronto. A Thomson 410 should do the trick, but 350 isn't going to cut it for you. Something WILL give eventually, so this is something you'll want to address pretty quickly.
    Joe.

mtbr member

Where are the 30.0 x 400 Setback Posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Go for a longer post, pronto. A Thomson 410 should do the trick, but 350 isn't going to cut it for you. Something WILL give eventually, so this is something you'll want to address pretty quickly.
    Joe.
    I'd love to go with a Thomson 30.0x410 BUT they don't make that size in the setback style. Does anybody? I need the setback, even with a 130mm stem, otherwise I am not in a good. comfortable riding position (I am 6'3"). What about shims? If I got a shim I could use a thomson (or easton) 27.2 x 410, but is the shim also a problem (for similar reasons)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    I'd love to go with a Thomson 30.0x410 BUT they don't make that size in the setback style. Does anybody? I need the setback, even with a 130mm stem, otherwise I am not in a good. comfortable riding position (I am 6'3"). What about shims? If I got a shim I could use a thomson (or easton) 27.2 x 410, but is the shim also a problem (for similar reasons)?

What size frame do you have? I'm 6'3" as well, had a 2004 Dawg Primo, and had no issues. If you're having this many fit problems, it definitely sounds like you have way too small a frame. I know, that answer sucks, but in end end, a frame that's a bit bigger is going to help you out quite a bit.

Joe.

mtbr member

Re: What size frame do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    What size frame do you have? I'm 6'3" as well, had a 2004 Dawg Primo, and had no issues. If you're having this many fit problems, it definitely sounds like you have way too small a frame. I know, that answer sucks, but in end end, a frame that's a bit bigger is going to help you out quite a bit.

Joe.
    I think its a 20"... (I got it used) ... maybe its not? If I measure from center of crank to top of seat tube its 20". Or do I measure to the seat tube at the center of the intersection with top tube?