mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kona frames not a good match with Chris King headsets?

At least that is what my LBS has suggested. This was the result of a long and ultimately very costly experience I had with my Kona Unit frame. Basically from day two of my bike's life I had a chronically loose headset. Every other ride I would have to tighten it up. Being a bit naive I assumed that this was the result of the cheap stock headset on the bike. So I had an LBS install a Chris King headset. It looked great but the problem remained. So then I bought another Project 2 fork thinking that it might be a problem with the crown race. Same problem. Tried it with my trusty old Atom-80. Nope. Over time my problem just got worse and it was pretty obvious the bottom headset cup was moving around a lot. Eventually the frame went back to Kona where they offered up a crash replacement (which was frustrating since it was a brand new bike but that is probably another thread).

It's still not clear to me what was wrong with the bike but my LBS said something along the lines of: We talked to Kona and they said their frames do not work well with Chris King headsets because they are too loose leading to ovalization.

I have never head of this before and was wondering if anyone else had?

mtbr member
    That does not make sense to me. I have Chris King headsets in most of my bikes and have not had problems, including my Explosif frame.
    I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with that, that is strange.
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Can you ask around?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    That does not make sense to me. I have Chris King headsets in most of my bikes and have not had problems, including my Explosif frame.
    I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with that, that is strange.
    Joe.
    According to the LBS, this came from the Kona rep. they talked to. Maybe you could ask around internally to see if there is any merit to it? Also maybe you could inquire as to what was up with my frame? I can't imagine there are too many returned frames coming in. It was an 18" Unit from Dallas, Texas in November. A PM is fine.

Thanks Joe!

Just roll it......

Something to consider here.

I don't know the specifics of the Explosif frame, but is it possible that your LBS might have installed a CK Steel headset in? The reason I ask is those cups go deeper into the headtube (about 1 inch) than a standard headset when they're installed and actually don't work with certain frames. The reason they don't work with some frames is some headtubes get thicker in the middle......

The only other potential problem is that the headtube was ovalized. This could have happened due to a poor headset installation or running the headset too loose and riding with it for a while. If that wasn't the case, maybe the tolerances weren't correct in the headtube?? Again, these are all long shots, but a potential explanation.

Cheers,
    EB

P.S. I run a King Headset and have had zero issues with it.

shaved yeti
    I've never run into that problem with a CK headset. I have run into crushed bearings and races going bad. I've never run into a compatibility problem with any kona (or any other bike) with a CK headset.

Perhaps your LBS didn't face the headtube when they installed the headset. The inside diameter of the headtube could be an issue, since no big box bike company reams the headtube before it's shipped out. But the I.D. from almost every bike company nearly spot on.

Just a random question:
    So are you running the same fork on your new unit? I assume your bike is running good now?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    I don't know the specifics of the Explosif frame, but is it possible that your LBS might have installed a CK Steel headset in? The reason I ask is those cups go deeper into the headtube (about 1 inch) than a standard headset when they're installed and actually don't work with certain frames. The reason they don't work with some frames is some headtubes get thicker in the middle......

The only other potential problem is that the headtube was ovalized. This could have happened due to a poor headset installation or running the headset too loose and riding with it for a while. If that wasn't the case, maybe the tolerances weren't correct in the headtube?? Again, these are all long shots, but a potential explanation.

Cheers,
    EB

P.S. I run a King Headset and have had zero issues with it.
    Thanks for the reply. It was a standard 1 1/8" CK headset. I was having the problem with every headset we tried. I don't know why someone would have said this about CK headsets. Could have been BS or FUD.

mtbr member

2004 Dawg

Pressed in firmly back in February. No problems.

If it happened with the original headset, the cheap stock one you mentioned, how can the Chris King POSSIBLY be the problem?
    It was installed AFTER the 2 day old bike with ORIGINAL headset had a problem.

A 2 day old bike with an ovalized headset...poor heat treating of the head tube?
    Or the original botoom cup was crap.

My opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk
    Pressed in firmly back in February. No problems.

If it happened with the original headset, the cheap stock one you mentioned, how can the Chris King POSSIBLY be the problem?
    It was installed AFTER the 2 day old bike with ORIGINAL headset had a problem.

A 2 day old bike with an ovalized headset...poor heat treating of the head tube?
    Or the original botoom cup was crap.

My opinion.
    I agree. It was the LBS that suggested it. But I thought I would check around just in case.

I still have the original headset. Maybe I'll see if I can find someone with calipers and check it out.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Like others have said or suggested, I have some doubt in what your LBS has said concerning the CK headset.
    Kind of hard to really know what really went wrong but you said "you had a always a loose headset."
    I read ahile ago on another thread and that there was a similar problem with a loose headset all the time. (Usually after only the 2nd ride.)
    It came down to not the headset but the type of stem they were using and the tightening system used.
    In this case it was a CK headset and thomsen stem. It was stated this person was told that some stems work better then others with CK................but was told off the record.

I have this type of system on my bike and have to keep an eye on the stem but will be changing it this year. But I found it loose only once during the summer but a new Thomsen stem is on the wish list........

This might be not your problem but I thought I should throw it out there......
    Something to look into.......

Unshaven Yak
    Coiler Deelux over here with a CK headset from day 1 in August. I rode every other day on during well into fall on brutal trails & it's 1st ride was in Bigbear! No problem at all. I am 200+ lbs, don't baby my equipment, use 8" front rotors & love to pop the rear up. I've had another one on a Heckler for over two years without issues & a 3rd that has survived 3 frames over ten years.

I have to agree that I think it has nothing to do with CK, but that your head tube was ovalized by a previously incorrectly installed headset (the 1st one you had), or there was a problem with the frame to begin with. Most likely it was your LBS who screwed it up from day one.

I have a couple of high-end Raceface sets but they both loosened endlessly & creaked under braking (kept for emergency giveaway to bro's).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Apparently there was some truth to this. I had to get new cups for my CK headset. When I sent them in with the RMA I got a call back from the tech guy at CK. He said to make sure I measure the headtube with a micrometer in case it is out of spec. I realize this is hearsay but he then said they had several incidents with Kona frames, specifically, being out of spec with regard to the headtube being too large. CK can set you up with larger cups if that is the case. My new frame is fine but it kinda of makes me wonder if this was the problem on the original frame.
    Last edited by Eltbee; 01-04-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

inner peace to make peace

np

i had my Chris King head since on my Kona since 1999. I've replaced the star-nut once, but had np.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).