mtbr member
    Aug 2005

kona dawg questions

I went around to a couple bike shops today trying the kona dawg. I'm looking to buy the dee-lux, but neither of the shops had them in stock. I tried the dawg in an 18" frame and it was way too small. At the second shop, one of the mechanics was talking to me about frame sizing. He says that a 19" is way big enough for me, and that a 20" I would just be enormous. I'm fourteen, 6'2'' and still growing. So I wanted to see if any of you guys had any opinions on the frame sizing. How many have 19"s and how many have 20"s? Also whats the chances of me getting ahold of a dawg dee-lux at this time in the year? Is it worth it to wait till 2006? (I hope not!) Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... I can hook you up...

Tom,
    My Kona dealer here in Upstate NY has a new Dawg DeeLux in a 19. It's blue as well. I'm 5''7" and ride a 17. I should probably be on a 16 but Kona drops from the 17 to a 15 in the Dawg series and I like a little bigger frame then they recommend anyway. I would say the 19 would be the right size for you. PM me if you are interested. The bike is built and ready to go. I am pretty sure Kona is out of most of the 05 Dawg's and they are getting real hard to find.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

Art is Resistance
    Tom,
    I'm 6'3" and had a 20" Dawg Primo, which fit me really well. I think a 19" would fit you great, and if you're still growing, you may want to check ou the 20".
    Have fun, it's a great bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll try to look at both, but if I can't I'll go with the 19".

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" and ride a Kikapu Deluxe in a 20" I think the 19" may be a bit small for you. Particularly if your still growing.
    You'll have to find a shop that has a 20 in stock, as the factory is out of Dawg Deluxes in 20".

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Kona's Rock!!

chuck d

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Not sure but I think the Kikapu's run a little different in size than the Dawg's. I fit pretty comfortably on a 18 Kik. It felt just a bit long. If I were to have gotten one I probably would have gone for the 16" Kikapu. I ended up with the 17" Dawg which height wise fits like the 18" Kikapu IMO. The cockpit feels shorter, more upright which I really like. I think the standover is higher on the Dawg of an equal frame size to a Kik because of the longer travel suspension. Point is I don't think you can get sized on a Kikapu and order the same size Dawg believing it will fit the same.
    Your inseam will dictate more on the frame size than your overall height. Being 14 and 6'2' you may also have all the leg you'll get. Hard to say though, you'll have to look at the relatives for a clue there. I know every time I buy the next shoe size for my son he jumps 2 sizes the following month!
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardDog
    Not sure but I think the Kikapu's run a little different in size than the Dawg's. I fit pretty comfortably on a 18 Kik. It felt just a bit long. If I were to have gotten one I probably would have gone for the 16" Kikapu. I ended up with the 17" Dawg which height wise fits like the 18" Kikapu IMO. The cockpit feels shorter, more upright which I really like. I think the standover is higher on the Dawg of an equal frame size to a Kik because of the longer travel suspension. Point is I don't think you can get sized on a Kikapu and order the same size Dawg believing it will fit the same.
    Your inseam will dictate more on the frame size than your overall height. Being 14 and 6'2' you may also have all the leg you'll get. Hard to say though, you'll have to look at the relatives for a clue there. I know every time I buy the next shoe size for my son he jumps 2 sizes the following month!
    Excellent points. I never got to ride the Dawg so I only know the Kik.

Per the numbers, on a 20" Dawg vs Kik, they are pretty close, the TT on the dawg is almost an inch longer and the standover height is essentially the same. But, they are different bikes and one should ride what they want to buy to know if it's the bike for them.

My father inlaw up in CO just got a Dawg and loves it.

Hope you find the right Kona for you...

chuck d

mtbr member extraordinair
    Im 6'2 and ride the 19" dawg. Mines a 2003, but I think the frames are the same. It will not be undersized. You will not be dissappointed.

rob
    slakDawg
    Also, check your inseam (34" here). I'm in the 6'2" - 6'3" range and started on a 19" Dawg, but after a warranty replacement upgraded to a 20" and feel a lot more comfortable on it. Also, I had(have) a lot of seatpost extending out and that may have contributed to the top tube crack. BTW: I run a 410mm length Thomspon now, so the post goes plenty deep into the seat tube.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick
    I went around to a couple bike shops today trying the kona dawg. I'm looking to buy the dee-lux, but neither of the shops had them in stock. I tried the dawg in an 18" frame and it was way too small. At the second shop, one of the mechanics was talking to me about frame sizing. He says that a 19" is way big enough for me, and that a 20" I would just be enormous. I'm fourteen, 6'2'' and still growing. So I wanted to see if any of you guys had any opinions on the frame sizing. How many have 19"s and how many have 20"s? Also whats the chances of me getting ahold of a dawg dee-lux at this time in the year? Is it worth it to wait till 2006? (I hope not!) Thanks.
    That mechanic had his head up his butt. I'm 6' 3" with a 34" inseam and I ride a 19" and I could easily take a 20" but I like the smaller frame for riding logs and drops. If you are into more XC oriented riding or are pretty sure that you're going to get a 2-3 inches taller (how tall are your parents?) then I'd probably get the 20" bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

inseam is important, too

I'm also 6'2", ride a 19" King Kik, it fits me very well, since I'm all torso and shorter legs. Inseam: 32"
    The top tube is just fine for my torso, plus the wheel base is great for getting around dicey spots, switchbacks...
    If you have long legs, get the 20.5" or so, with a short stem, IMHO,,,

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by meberle
    That mechanic had his head up his butt. I'm 6' 3" with a 34" inseam and I ride a 19" and I could easily take a 20" but I like the smaller frame for riding logs and drops. If you are into more XC oriented riding or are pretty sure that you're going to get a 2-3 inches taller (how tall are your parents?) then I'd probably get the 20" bike.
    my dad's 6'2 and my mom is just under 6'0.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Standover is not how you fit a bike with 5" or more travel. Hardtail, maybe.
    That mechanic needs to get out of the 90's
    I'm 5"10 and ride a 19' - it's all about the top tube.

mtbr member

GET THE 20" !!!

Tom, even if you weren't going to grow, I'd say get the 20"... I am 6'3" and my 20" is just barely big enough -- even with a long (130) stem and setback seatpost. You might even consider not getting the Dawg, much as I hate to say it (I love my Dawg), since if you grow taller than 6'3" you won't fit even the 20". In my experience, bike shop mechanics instinctively steer tall people to bikes that are too small (unless they are tall themselves).

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005

Big Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    Tom, even if you weren't going to grow, I'd say get the 20"... I am 6'3" and my 20" is just barely big enough -- even with a long (130) stem and setback seatpost. You might even consider not getting the Dawg, much as I hate to say it (I love my Dawg), since if you grow taller than 6'3" you won't fit even the 20". In my experience, bike shop mechanics instinctively steer tall people to bikes that are too small (unless they are tall themselves).
    It's not listed in Kona's catalog, nor on their website, but the Dawg is available in a 22" frame. I bought one in July, and LOVE it! Not only is it a marvelously robust, fun, and capable bike (at least coming from my twelve-year-old hardtail), but it is so nice to have a bike that really, really, fits me. No weirdly long stem, no running the seatpost right at the mark, the bars aren't eight inches below the saddle, all the concessions I'm used to with bikes-- it just fits (I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam).

I'm not saying that a 22" frame is right for you; it sounds like a 20" would be right. But if the 20" really is too small for someone reading this thread, know that there is another option. Your shop will need to call Kona about availability, but if you're a big dude it's definitely worth the tiny extra hassle (no extra money, btw; I got mine at a discounted price for being near the end of the model year, just like any other Dawg would have been at the time).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Hey, somebody that thinks like me....

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles
    Standover is not how you fit a bike with 5" or more travel. Hardtail, maybe.
    That mechanic needs to get out of the 90's
    I'm 5"10 and ride a 19' - it's all about the top tube.
    I'm 5'7" and ride a 17, but I didn't buy it based on standover. It's actually a bit tall in that department but that's not how you ride a bike now is it? I agree it's more about the top tube and entire feel of the "cockpit" that you should pay most attention to IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i have a 20inch dawg & am 6 feet tall,took me awhile to get use to it ,i wouldnt trade it for nothing.