Kona Dawg Deelux Price Difference Between 2005 and 2009 about $900- Mtbr.com
    Shread Ready

Kona Dawg Deelux Price Difference Between 2005 and 2009 about $900

Just an observance. I was looking at the latest Dawg Delux on their website for 2009 is listed at $2999. That's quite a jump from 2005 when I bought my Dawg Deelux for $1900 + tax from a LBS. I would guess mine was probably listed on kona's website at about $2100 at the time I bought it but not certain. Either way, that's a steep jump of around $800-$900. I guess that's just one of the affects of the depreciating dollar. Any opinions?

I think the components are pretty comparable except the 09 has 6" rear travel instead of 5" and it has slightly different frame geometry with the bend on the top tube. Anyway, I still love my 05 and ride it a lot and it's solid. Anyone got an 08 or newer?

Shread Ready

As a reply to my own thread

I found this article which explains it quite well. The dollar depreciating in addition to increase cost in steel and aluminum and anything petroleum-based is going up as well is causing the increase. This, in addition to increase in labor cost are all making our bikes more expensive. That is, if you live in the USA. Kinda glad I splurged last year for my Spec Pitch. Also, my Kona was made in Taiwan

Over the past few months, the bike industry has seen the "perfect storm" of circumstances hit it (like much of the rest of the economy); a slumping US and global economy, a massive increase in manufacturing costs, a dramatic jump in labor costs in both Taiwan and China, a sharp drop in the value of the US dollar and an increase in value of nearly every other global currency. The Taiwanese dollar, the NT, has gone from a little over $34NT/ $1US to just barely over $30NT/ $1US in just over 3 years. That may not seem like much, but it adds up quickly and doesn't even take into consideration any of the cost increases- that is just a loss in currency value. When you add in the cost increases for the actual products, it can become significant very quickly.

By some estimates, the cost of steel alone is going up as much as 65%! For my brand, which is heavily biased towards steel these days, that spells some pretty serious sleepless nights. Aluminum is going up. Carbon is going up. Anything petroleum-based is going up- like the materials used to make handlebar tapes and saddles. These costs are increasing leadtimes significantly as well, since many vendors are now unwilling or unable to spend the money to stock vast quantities of materials. This means that they need to order more often to meet their demands, but at least they don't have their capital resources tied up in raw materials.

In China, recent laws there are forcing a much needed increase in wages being paid to factory workers- as well as limiting the amount of overtime a worker can work. These are good changes, but they mean an increase in costs just the same. In Taiwan, there is a massive shortage of qualified skilled labor. The bike industry was once one of the best paying in Taiwan, but the rise in power of the tech industries there has drawn in a lot of the once strong work force in the bike industry. So now wages have gone up to compete for and retain good labor. It's a good time to be a factory worker in both China and Taiwan... or at least a better time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just bought an 08 Dawg Deluxe... 2600 msrp!! I managed to get it for 1700 even, it was a left over. I like the bend in the top tube, it makes the bike look really cool and I'm sure it enhances riding somehow but im not sure how..

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisadhs
    I just bought an 08 Dawg Deluxe... 2600 msrp!! I managed to get it for 1700 even, it was a left over. I like the bend in the top tube, it makes the bike look really cool and I'm sure it enhances riding somehow but im not sure how..
    That's cool. I think they've had the bend on the tube since 07 or 08. I'm not sure what difference it makes either but the bike still looks pretty similar to mine. Excellent bike! I just got my Dawg back from the shop after a fresh tune and brand new pads! It's riding smooth and stops on a dime.

Do it all or nothing
    I think it may have to do also with the effect of oil prices. After all as gas goes up so does shipping and handling. That can add up it the fork comes from italy and the stem china... thats just a fraction of the ramp up in my opinion. Just my 2 cents
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    fork coming from italy? might want to double check that

Do it all or nothing
    Well in the beginning days of marz (italian company) some of there products must have been fabricated close by since it would be a waste to ship jobs oversea. I'm not saying that is the case since the bike is 2005 and not 1998... but it was simply an example to show my point. Hope that counts as double checking...

KONA rules!!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by headstrong356
    I think it may have to do also with the effect of oil prices. After all as gas goes up so does shipping and handling. That can add up it the fork comes from italy and the stem china... thats just a fraction of the ramp up in my opinion. Just my 2 cents
    Then shouldn't bike prices start coming down soon? I know, they'll delay for as long as they possibly can...

Do it all or nothing
    I'll give it untill most of the world gets hit hard by this economy crash. Here in Canada oil is still like gold....90 cents per litre

KONA rules!!

Members who have read this thread: 0