mtbr member

is kona coiler good do it all bike?

hi
    what can you say about using kona coiler or coiler deeluxe as do it all bike, i mean uphill downhill kinda all mountain bike. i am hearing mostly positive comments on this bike but i am concerned about its weight being more than 16 kg /36lbs/. does anyone use it the way i am indending to? isnt it too heavy while going uphill?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    See my reply on General
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2005

yes and no

Its up to your style, if you like to be in the air more than going uphill yes, really good for jumps and drops, the coiler de lux is super!!!, and the regular coiler is one of the best bang for your buck in the whole planet earth. But if you like to climb more than coming down, or if you are not agree to come down very fast, dont buy it.

I had a 2003 kona scrap, more similar to the hoss than the new dj scrap (hardtail), and the geometry was great, now I have a santacruz bullit and with 41 pounds, its pedal really good and coming down is tha bullit. Im planing to sell the bullit and planing to buy a coiler, 6 pounds lighter, more pedal friendly and the same air capacities. I think its a heavy duty all moutain or a light freeride. well to much writing, which kind of riding defines you?

Meh.
    Read all the other threads about this. Yes, it can do it all. I thought it was going to climb like sh!t, but it really did quite well. XC riding is a bit of a leg burner, but I kept up with the pack pretty well. By the way, I'm rolling on dual 24s.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMATRAIL
    Its up to your style, if you like to be in the air more than going uphill yes, really good for jumps and drops, the coiler de lux is super!!!, and the regular coiler is one of the best bang for your buck in the whole planet earth. But if you like to climb more than coming down, or if you are not agree to come down very fast, dont buy it.

I had a 2003 kona scrap, more similar to the hoss than the new dj scrap (hardtail), and the geometry was great, now I have a santacruz bullit and with 41 pounds, its pedal really good and coming down is tha bullit. Im planing to sell the bullit and planing to buy a coiler, 6 pounds lighter, more pedal friendly and the same air capacities. I think its a heavy duty all moutain or a light freeride. well to much writing, which kind of riding defines you?
    and it rides very well with the wheels on the ground, too.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sure the coiler can take a bigger pounding and will fly down a hill like a raped ape but the best "Do-It-All" bike in the Kona line IMO is the Dawg. It's nimble, will climb like a goat, can rock down hill as well. You just can't pound it like the Coiler. All depends how rad you want to get. My 17 is 30#. Not a fly weight but certainly lighter than the Coiler. Still wish I had a Coiler in addition but the Dawg is definately fun.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    May 2005

yep

I would have to say the Coiler D is a very nice 'everything' bike. Obviously the durability is great and I gotta say the 'silent' satisfaction of hanging with the bros who ride NRS's etc. on a 37 lb. bike after 30+ miles is worth all the extra effort.....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes ,totally right, the same happens to me and with the bullit, a little bit harder to pedal but in flat or technical tracks, drops or jumps and urban (all the enviroments I have to ride everytime I go to the outdoors) is memorable, and I'm pretty sure the coiler d-lux will be more enjoyable.

mtbr member

wait for the Coil-Air!

Quote Originally Posted by PAMATRAIL
    Yes ,totally right, the same happens to me and with the bullit, a little bit harder to pedal but in flat or technical tracks, drops or jumps and urban (all the enviroments I have to ride everytime I go to the outdoors) is memorable, and I'm pretty sure the coiler d-lux will be more enjoyable.
    I don't know when it will be in stores but the Coil-Air looks like a lighter, more high-end Coiler than the de-luxe.... the kona website has a 2006 preview section.

He bought a Fuji
    mtbtires.com

Time to ride

Primo

I got the Primo a few weeks ago and i have to say -- WOW... I just got back from whistler and spent one day at the bike park just doing black and dbl black runs all day, the 66rc in combo with the DHX 5.0 was great. I have gone on XC rides where i climb for about 2-3 hours and the DHX 5.0 adjusts great. I was on a light hard tail and this was not a bad change. I am getting use to the extra weight by pushing a little harder on the ups and the down is soooo sweet, I just point and hold on.

Quote Originally Posted by brankulo
    hi
    what can you say about using kona coiler or coiler deeluxe as do it all bike, i mean uphill downhill kinda all mountain bike. i am hearing mostly positive comments on this bike but i am concerned about its weight being more than 16 kg /36lbs/. does anyone use it the way i am indending to? isnt it too heavy while going uphill?